Official (TIKI) TELE TUESDAY thread

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by TV the Wired Turtle, Jun 2, 2016.

1. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    The one with the black binding catches my eye every time!

Henry and mbkri like this.
  2. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Wow. Tell us the story, MB!

3. russmack

russmack Country Gent

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    Could it possibly be that the Tele iterations over the last sixty years have turned into the most sensible purchases for anyone who wants to learn or collect the mostest bestest sensibly - just - the best tool in any pickers bag of basic tools?

Sure they're ugly. But's what make them beautiful.

Russ

Speaking of electric guitars of course.

4. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

russmack likes this.
  5. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    DD15B207-CE19-40B1-B0AC-AE0CDCD3D590.jpeg
    This has been quite the Tele year. Ive been looking for the perfect Tele and, of course, I can’t find ONE that does everything that I want. The black one is a 2001 Powerbridge that I had a new control panel made for. Just got that back from the tech at 320D a couple of weeks ago. This is my “leave it out on the guitar stand” guitar for everyday mucking about. Position 4 (bridge and middle) is that country throaty choked twang sound that I’ve been searching for......but not quite choked down enough. So three weeks ago I pulled the trigger on the partscaster on the left. Which then sat in my studio while I was in hospital and then on a road trip and then busy prepping for an engagement party for number one son. Finally I got it home two days ago and ran it for the first time through my rig and it sounds fantastic. The mini humbucker is great for the kind of big chords that I typically play, good with drive pedals, but not getting into the full weight that I get from my Gretsches. The always on middle strat pickup and bridge blend is exactly the throaty twang that I’ve been after.
    The 2001 American Deluxe looks magnificent. The stereo function separating magnetic and piezo signals into two amps is rich and full. I had to sell something in order to finance a Penguin purchase recently and it was a toss-up between this or my Jaguar. I figure I can always find another Jaguar but the Power Deluxe is a bit of a short run rarity.
    And that’s the story. Along the way I also bought and then sold a magnificent honey blonde Power Nashville that sounded amazing and served as the template for my modding on the black one. I had to sell that one because.......Penguins are expensive birds.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    dafreeze likes this.
  6. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
  7. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Yum, love my Tele

I took my blond Tele and had it painted nitro surf green, added Glendale brass compensated saddles, a Lollar Charlie Christian neck pick up, locking tuners, treble bleed, vintage single ply pickguard and vintage knobs and strap locks.......I love this guitar

BFD6F9B5-FB4F-4035-8C4F-3DFDF6802DA1.jpeg

larryb likes this.
  8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    This is Regret ever selling your 1957 Tele Wednesday:(

englishman and mbkri like this.
  9. Tracy74

Tracy74 Electromatic

Nov 11, 2017
    Herrin
    [​IMG]

These 2 showed up to my shop this weekend!

1983 Tele Elite Trans-Green and a standard American

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Telechamp and larryb like this.
  10. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    0FB9C715-B80A-4B5D-9F50-2E13EABD6A12.jpeg I’ll join in.
    Here’s my piece o’ crap MIM tele. When I bought her 8 years ago. I tried out 6 teles, and this horse won the battle. Sounded better to
    Me then a few American mades i tested. Since buying it I’ve recorded 4 albums, and played probably 50 shows with it. Over the years i’ve fixed it with a compensated three saddle bridge, a trubone nut, and a black pick guard. This was my first experience with modification and set-up on my own. Took me about a week to get the intonation right, but it was a fun learning experience. You can hammer nails with this thing.

11. johsonrod

johsonrod Country Gent

Apr 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Recent build....spalted koa on korina. Roasted maple/rosewood neck...TV Jones T90s

4EC2BFC6-464F-40CF-9A1E-82AB9DD9BCFD.jpeg 431D343D-B7D3-4E4F-BACA-788814B41E2A.jpeg E7404C1D-DE74-4088-8679-E815E97C55DF.jpeg 01307F35-4FB4-47AD-A8EC-97FAFCF047FE.jpeg

12. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  13. johsonrod

johsonrod Country Gent

Apr 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Thanks bud. Yup T90s are amazing pups.

14. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Your builds are always so beautiful!

Nice work Jesse!!

15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Ok, y'all seen my beloved Pacifica 402S before but i just finished putting in a P90!!!!
    It warrants another viewing;)
    This is an amazing guitar that is now amazinger, its an epiphone pickup that i put A2 mags in and sounds friggin great. I wired it out of phase for some swingin T bone tone ( till i put in a push/pull pot). The bridge pickup is a old alnico Chandler. 20190101_131128.jpg

16. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    As it is tuesday today...

I'd like to introduce my main-wife ... wait ... no, but ... wife? ... anyway - her:

upload_2019-1-15_13-55-13.jpeg

It's been built by my sister's boyfriend, a few years ago, and got new electronics implanted in December 2017, which look like this:

upload_2019-1-15_13-57-59.jpeg

... other side...

upload_2019-1-15_13-58-23.jpeg

The stuff inside still is roughly the same, although there were some changes. Currently, she's equipped with a Tonerider AC2 in the neck position and a Seymour Duncan STK3-TE in bridge position. Formerly, she had a cheap dual-rail-SC-sized humbucker in the neck position and a lace pickup in bridge position, that should have been hum-free, but it wasn't.

As you can see, the electronics slot is filled pretty tight ... it's a four-way-switch, wired as usual (Bridge - Parallel - Neck - Series) and three push/pull-pots. All are 500 kOhm, left to right is neck volume, bridge volume, tone. Both pickups are wired in series when the knob is down, pulled out it's parallel - I had a different wiring for a few months and found out I like these two best out of the three, additionally including coil tap - the neck pickup sounded hardly any different from parallel - but it did hum -, the bridge pickup is a stacked humbucking wannabe-singlecoil, which sounded pretty much like in series when only the main coil is engaged, with a bit more output - and again hum. In parallel, it sounds ... well, yeah, a bit weird, but sometimes I like it.

The tone-pot is equipped with two capacitors, in series when knob is down, parallel when knob is pulled - first attempt was 22 nF and 47 nF (effective that's about 15 nF and 69 nF), which was cool, but still too much. Now it's 3.3 nF and 4.7 nF (effective something close below 2 nF and 8 nF), which is a bit too low, I guess I will change one for something around 10 nF, but anyway - two capacities to chose from is someting I really like, as the usual capacities are way too much in my opinion - they just kill any treble, while a smaller one offers a reasonable twang-modulation instead of detwanging the sound. A guitar without twang is a broken guitar anyway... The pictures of the electronics are from the first version, with the old capacities and a Gibson 498T in the neck position, which is meant to be used in bridge position and was simply too strong to match the bridge pickup.

Anyway, for cosmetics, she got new knobs today:

upload_2019-1-15_14-12-53.jpeg

As I damaged the hole the screw below the knob goes in, I had to make a longer electronics plate, just by a few mm.

Anyway - I kind of love her.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  17. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    I only joined last week and it's my first Tuesday on here, so I'll introduce one of my Teles: It's my version of the Hot Rod Tele, but based on a 50s Classic, so has my prefered low vintage frets and 7.25" radius unlike the 'official' version I tried, but didn't like the feel of.

It took me year to get round to doing the mod as this one didn't have a humbucker route in the neck position like some, but since then it's been my main gigging/open mic guitar as I don't worry about it getting knocked (bomb proof poly finish anyway). I did some ageing on the metal parts and modified the bridge plate.

Bridge mod 6.jpg

Hand cut Bakelite pickguard (bought an Esquire one and cut the humbucker slot as it was the cheapest option). DiMarzio 36th Anniversary DP103 pick up in the neck, Seymour Duncan 'Lil '59 single coil sized humbucker in the bridge, upgraded 500K pots and 0.022uF tone cap. Wet sanded the body and buffed to a more satin sheen, plus some 3M pads used to dull down the metalwork and knobs.
    Bridge mod 5.jpg

It started off like this:
    3558g Sunburst Tele.JPG

Attached Files:

DennisC and CousinWarsh like this.
  18. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal

@Stefan this one

Stefan likes this.
  19. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    It took me 4 years but I finally collected the whole serie.

Same recipe as the red one me thinks. Awaiting pickups as we speak.

84F95748-F24D-449B-AB00-DA556CD751AA.jpeg

Attached Files:

Henry and audept like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice