Official (TIKI) TELE TUESDAY thread

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by TV the Wired Turtle, Jun 2, 2016.

1. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Some of us dont really play traditional telecasters since we use gretsch guitars as main instruments. A fair amount of us like to make or have made for us, special telecasters. Whether or not its Fender or "special", maybe its just a sweet simple tele you love.. I invite you to post a telecaster on tuesdays. Everyone is doing it, lets do it here too. #teletuesday ..and maybe you love TIKI culture, post that too, I dooo!

I have a mad passion for Atomic Ranch era anything and w it, Tiki Bar culture and Telecasters that didnt exist after the late 60s, or didnt exist at all and should have.

Here's my latest Mr Moai Tiki that Vic Hernandez (@vichdzart on instagram) carved from non traditional solid wood (palm is the usual suspect as seen w Little Moai) Mr Moai and my favorite TK Smith Telecaster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Ahhhh Tele's.........my fave geetars, though they do share that spot with Gretsches nowadays.........this will be a fun thread.

:)

gtttrrr likes this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I will post mine again: handmade, including the pickups, by my luthier friend in Japan. Made to 1954 Specs. My Australian luthier specializes in appraising vintage Fenders and has compared mine to the best of them for authentic tone.

DSC_0973.JPG DSC_0979.JPG

4. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Mines better than yoooooours.....

;)

DR MOJO "Blackguard" handbuilt by Bobby Clark in Nashville, TN. It's the best sounding Tele I've ever played.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

5. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    For a minute then I thought you were saying it's Tuesday today.

This is my go-to Tele these days. I made the body from a block of ash and a bookmatched ash top. Chambered the crap out of it and it's still hefty. I screwed up the neck, so this one is a B Hefner, nice and skinny. Bridge pickup is a D Allen, neck pickup is an 80s Strat. Four way switching.
    image.jpeg

6. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    AAAAAA tele deluxe fr.jpg 72 Thinline-upright fr.jpg

My old trusty Thinline Deluxe... really miss this guitar.. a limited store run MIJ

7. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Another custom luthier built Tele that is currently living as an Esquire.........this one is really cool. The neck is made of Orange Osage and the fretboard is Pernumbuco.

image.jpeg

8. Perry Bryant

Perry Bryant Synchromatic

Jan 12, 2012
    Sharpsburg, GA
  9. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    image.jpeg This is one that saw at LEAST a thousand shows. I started playing professionally as a young teenager(14)and this one was my trusty workhorse. She's mostly retired now, but I still like to pet her now and then and think about the good old days.

10. fender62custom

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    IMG_0706.jpg

My current favourite!!! a Jessie Brown built Brown Bear... superb neck & sounds awesome.

11. fender62custom

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    IMG_0655.JPG AAA Tele heaven.jpg

My Fender 62 Custom is an amazing sounding Tele... nails the early 60's tone.. all gutted with better hardware, pups & electronics!! A US 62 Tele killer!!

12. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    Y'all have seen my thinline with the Bigsby "Evangeline" a bunch of times. Here's something a little different that you don't see everyday. It's a real MIJ Fender, part of the thinline HMT or A/E series that came out in the 90's or so. Nylon strings - great for playing tiki tunes!

Tiki Tele T'ursday Part 1!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  13. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Wow, never saw these before, nylon string model! Must not have been a big seller. I'm going to keep an eye out for one of these!

Tele295 likes this.
  14. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    I don't recall ever seeing them in stores. I saw the steel string model that had a Lace Sensor in the neck and the fretless P-Bass, but had to hunt for a while on eBay to find the nylon

15. Hotshot

Hotshot Gretschie

Mar 23, 2016
    Toronto
    Heres some i saw today. $8000 for the cheap one. early 50s i think. The blue one isn't a Fender. That strat was $23000.... yup, i almost pooped myself. the neck felt insane though. like an old piece of furniture.

image3-1.JPG

16. Hotshot

Hotshot Gretschie

Mar 23, 2016
    Toronto
    ohh that amp....

17. I only owned one. The 52 reissue hotrod. Had a great Keith sound, but I did not get along well thethe neck. Traded it for a country gent which got traded for the gretsch hot rod , which I will most likely always have I never played a tele neck that worked for me. If I could get my strat neck on a tele with classics I would be happy. Perhaps this thread is not the best place to voice this And ever since Greg had that bad surfing accident on the Brady bunch, tiki heads scare me.

18. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Does this mean I can't post Teles on other days of the week anymore?

19. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    te.jpg tee.jpg

Some of my ex-Teles...and my #1 old faithful!

MKunie, Ricochet, Random1643 and 4 others like this.
  20. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Only on days ending in "Y".

Ricochet, fender62custom and larryb like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice