Odd musical pairings

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Indeed, but the actual music they created was, to me, odd - personally not a fan although I am a fan of Dylan. The typical juxtaposition of a craggy rough voice and a sweet one.

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    What a coincidence! I'm not a fan of Joan Baez! I don't care that much for Dylan's voice, but he's a Hell of a writer. Baez made a huge deal about sticking with her husband when he went to prison for draft evasion, then, she divorced him 6 months later. Too much of a Social Justice Warrior to suit me. I never thought her version of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" was that good. Good voice, but she didn't sound like a "Virgil Caine" to me.

Henry likes this.
  3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Especially when they were a couple.

new6659 likes this.
  4. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Didn't know that. Makes more sense then.

5. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
  6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I am listing "odd" musical pairings, rather than "surprising" musical pairings. I think odd is in fact a charitable description of their duets; I frankly think they sound odd and awful. Like a ballerina dancing with a stumbling drunk, but I'd rather watch the drunk.

section2 and new6659 like this.
  7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I agree with that assessment. She has the crystal clear voice, he ... doesn't.

section2 and Henry like this.
  8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Some years back I mixed a show in Sydney with Nigel Kennedy featuring Tommy Emmanuel as guest artist. They brought the house down with a totally impromptu jam of "Purple Haze". I've always wished I had run a secret tape of that performance!

section2 and drmilktruck like this.
  9. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I worked a Dylan show about ten years ago. Everyone in the band wore giant ten gallon hats, round topped and no bend to the brims (looked really odd). Dylan never once touched a guitar, only keyboards, and he bent 90 degrees at the waist when he played. Odd show. I love his writing---his voice, not so much.

section2 and drmilktruck like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice