NWAD, Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Synchro, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    New Winfield Amp Day, coming soon.

Recently, while listening to the gentle waves breaking on the dry lake at Willcox, AZ, Winfield Thomas had me try one of his creations, an amp which is a variation on the Tweed Vibrolux/Brownface Princeton circuit. This is a very nice sounding amp with a strong midrange, but still a great degree of clarity.

It’s simple, with just a Volume, Tone, Speed and Depth controls. There’s really not much to do except set volume to needs, tone to taste and tweak the tremolo, if the song calls for it. It’s really just a basic machine for making a guitar louder and doing so in a pleasing manner.

Perhaps the best sounding amp I ever owned was a Winfield Typhoon. It was my “grab and go amp”, to coin a phrase, but I just needed a bit more oomph than a single-ended EL 84 could provide. (I will say that, through a PA system, it sounded as gutsy as any Showman.) The idea with the new amp is to go for the same portability, but with enough volume to keep up with a drummer at band practice and stay clean; ‘cause I’m Mr. Clean. :)

Then there’s the Brownface angle. Among the Surf faithful, the sect of the Fender Brownface is the most devout and I aspire to such levels of devotion myself. Brownface amps were the original sound of Surf music, back when reverb was probably external (if it was available at all) and the scooped midrange of the Blackface was not part of the bargain. The Brownface sound has a much stronger midrange and, when mixed with a Fender Tube Reverb, made for an exceptional sound. The Brownface sound can be well heard here, in Freddie King’s Hideaway, albeit with Gib-Buckers.

So, as I have been given to understand, when Fender built the Brownface Princeton, they basically used the Tweed Vibrolux circuit with little, if any, modification. The Brownface used the front mounted control panel and looked much like a more modern Fender design, but at heart it was not far from the roots of its Tweed forefathers. The effect is quite smooth and nice; somewhat tameable, but if you crank it, you will hear that famous Tweed breakup. For my, Mr. Clean purposes, it’s just a very sweet spot. I can hardly wait to try it out with some of my multitude delay presets and, perhaps, a bit of external reverb.

In case all of that wasn’t good enough, it comes in a 1x12” cab’ with a Weber Blue Dog.

So, I’ll have a triumvirate of amplification. The Winfield Elizabeth will be the healthy back substitute for a Super Reverb or 1x12” Blackface Pro Reverb, the Cyclone my brilliant Brit’ amp (which has an astoundingly tight lower end due to the Marshal 2x12” style closed-back cab and the Webers within) and the new boy will be my grab and go amp for rehearsals and gigs where the venue is small or there is a PA.

Pictures and a full road test when it arrives.

ishtar, drmilktruck, Outlaw and 4 others like this.
  2. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Look forward to hearing/seeing more!

3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Me too!

4. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    As I understand matters, the amp exists but is not quite ready to be delivered.

5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Being from SoCal, and knowing a great deal about the desert areas in the southwest, I got a mental picture, and this totally cracked me up!

drmilktruck likes this.
  6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Winnie lives on (dry) lakefront property. It’s sort of funny, because the edge of the dry lake is very obvious. That lake is an alternate recovery area for the new US spacecraft.

LivingMyDream and GVDobler like this.
  7. Outlaw

Outlaw Gretschie

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Sounds like a very cool amp,
    You've whetted my appitite!!

8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Really sounds promising. I am exited.

9. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Like all good things, this will take a bit of time, but it will be darned well worth the wait. Once it arrives, I’ll post a review and cross-link the threads.

10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista