NUGD G5622T Georgia Green

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by finalstatic, Nov 20, 2019.

1. finalstatic

finalstatic Electromatic

Nov 13, 2019
    SF Bay Area, CA
    The G5622T arrived today. The replacement for the G2627 FSR from Guitar Center. After just a cursory overview.. the 5622 is a much better built guitar. Letting it acclimatize for a while before tuning it and playing to hear how she sounds.

The bigsby is a lot smoother and the position of it is a much better fit. I will follow up later with some side by side shots of the “twins”

but here she is fresh out of the box.

-c-

DDB378EB-5423-4253-BE2B-0CA1386106E0.jpeg F9DAF8D6-6B6C-4AD7-A3C8-127653BA3D44.jpeg

2. finalstatic

finalstatic Electromatic

Nov 13, 2019
    SF Bay Area, CA
    The bridge is closer to the bigsby on the 2627 (~2.5” vs 3”) than on the 5622. The neck is set deeper in in the 2627. The tuners are much nicer and smoother on the 5622.

Attached Files:

Merc and Zeek like this.
  3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    The one on the left is Korean, correct?
    Is the one on the right, Korean or Chinese?

B4307DC8-A67A-4699-8BA0-F711D3514282.jpeg

mrfixitmi and Jeff67 like this.
  4. finalstatic

finalstatic Electromatic

Nov 13, 2019
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Left is Korean, Right is Indonesian.

T Bone, radd and audept like this.
  5. Great pickups in those. Nice cats eyes. Enjoy

6. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats!

Love the colour,3 pickups ,not so much,still cool though.

7. Zeek

Zeek Gretschie

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    Nice set, Congrads

8. RussB

RussB Electromatic

Sep 20, 2019
    CT
    Lots of pickups and switches! Very Nice!!!

9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Can't believe I almost missed this thread . Beautiful guitars , congratulations and enjoy

10. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Congrats on the new (and uncommon) Gretsch!

Question on the controls, 3 pickups, two toggles and 4 knobs, so how is it all wired up? Is there a way to select center only, or all three pickups, or what combinations are available? Four pots, is it 3 volume and one tone, or?

11. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Congratulations ! Keep them both !

I have been tempted by a Georgia Green to get along with my Surf Green G5622TLH :

[​IMG]

Well... There's one for sale these time on a local French Craiglist equivalent :

[​IMG]

But I had my G5420 Fairlane blue for less :cool:, and I have no extra cash for this one :oops:... By the way and too bad... :(

A+!

new6659, audept and mrfixitmi like this.
  12. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    It did occur to me, I think you’re set on guitar cables and cords....:D

86A81B7E-CA5E-4083-86F7-5A1ADD4395E4.jpeg

13. finalstatic

finalstatic Electromatic

Nov 13, 2019
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Haha yeah.. there’s a rat’s nest of cabling under there, a pedal board project that is still in progress. I mostly use the Fender Mustang GT40 or a Universal Audio interface into a Mac mini with Logic Pro when I’m playing, which entails just the one cable. That pedal nightmare is from my attempts to recreate tones on the Vox.

radd likes this.
  14. finalstatic

finalstatic Electromatic

Nov 13, 2019
    SF Bay Area, CA
    The 5622 is straight forward, a 2 way switch and a 3 way. The two way pulls the center pickup in and out, the three way functions as you’d expect.

The 2627 is a bit murkier. There are two three way switches, but I think one of them is wired to be a 2 way switch since not all 3 positions change the pickups in play. There was absolutely no documentation with the 2627 and when I called Gretsch to inquire they said they’d get back to me. I’m not hopeful at this point haha.

As far as the pots go, I am pretty sure it’s tone and volume for bridge and neck, but it’s at the luthier at the moment for a setup so I can’t verify.

T Bone likes this.
  15. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Electromatic

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    Love my original edition Georgia Green 5622T. Shame I can't find a black or red one used that isn't priced at or above new price. They're clearly popular. I'd love to experiment with other pickups, but I am not changing the one I have, because it's too great to mess with.

Enjoy!

16. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes : the 1st edition of the G5622T is an unusual guitar, with her cat's eyes and triple pickup setup. :cool:

She has some drawbacks - at least to my taste :

1 - The center pickup interferes with the pick. Lowering this center PU makes it unefficient and destroy the tone. So you must comply with this intereference for a good tone... :confused:

2 - The electronics are too complicated. Too much pots kills the tone of the DC SHT. A MV and a MT would have been enough. Once modded like that, the DC SHT returns to life... :cool:

3 - The upper strap button is misplaced, giving the impression of heavyness to the guitar, along with instability. Once the strap button displaced to the neck heel (à la Gibson ES-335), the comfort is as expected... :cool:

That said, on the new edition, Gretsch should have preserved the cat's eyes, which would have given a more distinctive - but fully Vintage Gretsch - look.

About pickups : several members (including me) tested other pickups, like HS FT and BT FT (me). I think there's our member Henry in the list - sorry for the names of the others... :oops:

[​IMG]

The BT FT sounded good, but I wanted a more "Funky/Soul" tone, so I returned to the original DC SHT which, associated with the correct wiring, sound amazingly... :cool:

But it's me, OK ? :D

17. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
    Congratulations. I loved the sound of the pickups on mine but hated the weight, and I found the controls awkward which is why it's no longer with me.

IMG_20180803_112050.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice