NUGD for a New Member

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by RAFS, Oct 13, 2019.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    No talking into ........ should be a standard item ( ugh ! )
    :eek:
    absolutely...........
    Welcome @RAFS , she's a beautiful guitar . Enjoy

Henry likes this.
  2. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    This is what you do .... leave the house with an empty guitar case ( that's why you need a case ....seeeeee ) Tell the Miss' that you need a re-string . Take the empty case and play some guitars at the store . Buy the new guitar and put it in the case . Go home . ....and there ya go :D

Charlie westside and Todd2 like this.
  3. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Welcome, and congrats on your beautiful new guitar! $400 CDN is an outstanding price—especially if it came with a TruArc bridge, which would have cost over $100 on its own. If I'd known this was out there, I'd have snapped it up myself. :)

I'm sure you'll enjoy this guitar. If you find that the Gretschbucker pickups are a bit dark for your taste, you might consider swapping in a pair of Filtertrons for that classic Gretsch tone. There are plenty of choices out there; we'll be happy to give you some guidance if you're thinking of a pickup swap.

Enjoy!

4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yes, sir, may I have another?!

5. RAFS

RAFS Electromatic

Oct 13, 2019
    Canada
    She arrived today!!! I will get some pictures up shortly (busy week:(). First quick impression is VERY NICE. Don't like the clear pickguard. I don't think it's a Gretsch. The seller did say the silver one was replaced with this clear one. Will be ordering a replacement right away. Pretty sure it's not a TruArc bridge, as it is completely wood and I have yet to see that online.

Any string recommendations? I generally use EB Slinky Cobalt 10-46 on my electrics (had 11-48 on the Explorer, but have since changed). Martin Silk&Steel 11.5-47 on my Ovation.

section2 likes this.
  6. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I used D’Addario XL Nickel 11-49 strings and had a Compton stainless steel bridge slotted for them.

7. RAFS

RAFS Electromatic

Oct 13, 2019
    Canada
    Sorry for taking so long. Have barely had any time to enjoy the new family member. Didn't even take it to my last jam session.

I ordered the AllParts bar bridge, and what a difference (took over a week to arrive)! The $5 wooden bridge (that the seller claimed was a Tru Arc) I found terrible. I also didn't measure the post spacing very well, and needed to fill and drill to get it to work on the wood base. All turned out great!

IMG_6217.JPG

When the seller says "no dings or issues", one would hope he was being truthful. But the G tuning peg was bent, and there was a ding on that same head stock corner. Clearly, it had a bit of a fall at some point. But, I now know how those tuners come apart, and managed to straighten the peg. A little mark on the post (my fault), but not very noticeable. And the corner ding I think I fixed up quite nicely!

IMG_6221.JPG

I cannot find a replacement silver pickguard, so I went the painting route. It looked fabulous, except 24 hours is apparently not enough time for the paint to dry. Who knew? It says 24 hours on the can. As soon as I installed it, the metal clip "squished" the paint, and....... well, I didn't like it any more. So, I scraped and cleaned it all off. Round 2 of the painting has begun (and waiting 24+ hours between each coat!!!). Hope this turns out better. And yes, the clear sticker under the paint is noticeable at certain angles. But that doesn't bother me.

IMG_6195.JPG

I put the EB Cobalt 10-46 on, and I like it (especially with the new bridge).

I did swap the strap buttons for Schaller (cause all my straps have that). Hope that doesn't revoke my Gretsch forum membership!!!!

IMG_6218.JPG
    IMG_6220.JPG

Never owned a semi-hollow before, and think I'm really going to enjoy it.

Thanks for looking and reading.

8. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Welcome to Gretschville, and congrats!

9. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
    Welcome to the group RAFS, congrats, and well bought.

10. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
    download.jpg You might be getting a week in the penalty box for that Henry.

section2 and thunder58 like this.
  11. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I'm with ya on that Henry , 100%

12. RAFS

RAFS Electromatic

Oct 13, 2019
    Canada
    New pickguard paint job! This time I waited at least 24 hours between each thin coat. Not putting it on yet (it's been 30 hours since last coat, and I'm waiting a few more days!). I cut the clear sticker a bit closer to the wording, and it seems to be not quite as noticeable.

IMG_6246.JPG

Next? Probably the Gibson chrome LP jack plate. Just need to get to L&M to pick it up (it's actually reasonably priced there!).

.......... HA! Took my daughter practice driving, and happen to go by the L&M. The plate has been purchased.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    section2 likes this.
  13. RAFS

RAFS Electromatic

Oct 13, 2019
    Canada
    And here is it, with the new bridge, the painted pickguard, and the newly installed jack plate. I like it a lot!!!! Time to just enjoy it.

IMG_6254.JPG

14. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Hey RAFS, welcome to GT and a great guitar. The 5122 is a really nice instrument and it's a shame the old owner BS'd you about the guitar. No matter, you got an amazing price.

Lots of mods can be done to these and you've already started.

Where in Canuckistan do you hail from?

15. Jeff67

Jeff67 Gretschie

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Welcome! And just hide one of the other two really well. If she finds it, tell her you couldn't bear to part with it cuz it was a gift from her.;)

Tony65x55 likes this.
  16. RAFS

RAFS Electromatic

Oct 13, 2019
    Canada
    Good ol' Winterpeg....... GO BOMBERS!!!!

And around $80 for the bridge, jack plate, buttons and paint. I think I can live with that.

Apparently, I'm told if I take one to the cottage, I'm good to go. Wifey must be having a good month. :D

Tony65x55 and Jeff67 like this.
  17. Great guitar for a great price. That’s the color I wanted for my first Gretsch. But, I couldn’t find any so I “settled” for orange. Great mods so far. Congrats!

18. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Yes indeed, you did well. Let me know if you need new pickups for it at any time. There is a pickup maker I know that winds a drop-in specifically for the 5122. The sound quality is fantastic and the price is reasonable.

Winter well friend!

19. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
  20. Wjensen

Wjensen Gretschie

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    LOL! RAFS, you can't get rid of us so easily. As long as you have that Gretsch, your stuck with us! Enjoy playing your new guitar, and check in often.

Wade

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice