NUGD for a New Member

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by RAFS, Oct 13, 2019.

1. RAFS

RAFS Electromatic

Oct 13, 2019
    Canada
    Good day everyone!

Just bought a used 5120 off Kijiji here in Canada. I don't have it in my hands yet, but here is a picture from the ad and one he sent me. A family member picked it up and I will have it (hopefully) by Tuesday. It has a Tru Arc bridge, which I've now just read is a good upgrade for this guitar. Never have owned a hollowbody, so I'm pretty excited to give it a play! Didn't come with a case, and I'm not sure how I feel about a clear pick guard yet. But, it's the colour and model I was searching for (5122 would have also sufficed). My biggest fear is that it has major issues, but the price was pretty good, $400 Cdn ($300 USD)....... Or at least tell me that's a good price :).

Thanks for reading. I look forward to also enjoying the new forum!

*EDIT* I've since been shamed :p and made aware that this is in fact a 5122. Forgive the Gretsch rookie, please.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    MikeyUK, Groutsch, blueruins and 7 others like this.
  2. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to the forum. Very nice guitar. If that’s a picture of the actual guitar, then it looks like a 5122 DID have also sufficed. The 5120 has a single cutaway, and the 5122 has a double. I owned and played that exact same model/color and it held up nicely. The TruArc is indeed a nice upgrade. If you hang around here long enough, you may get talked into buying a case and installing a jack plate ... .

thunder58, wabash slim and Merc like this.
  3. Zeek

Zeek Gretschie

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    Welcome, Nice guitar I have one in black you wont be disappointed.

4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    You'll love the 5122

5. RAFS

RAFS Electromatic

Oct 13, 2019
    Canada
    Lol, thanks. The guy wrote 5120 in his ad, so that's what I went with! But it appears you are absolutely correct. And yes, that is a picture of the actual guitar (well, I trust it is). So no jack plate is standard? Hmmmm, I think you have already convinced me to do that! Could you point me in the right direction for the proper size?

6. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I think that either of the standard 3/8 jack plates sold by Stewmac will work. But note that the stock 5122 output jack may not be the same size as a USA Switchcraft jack.

7. tdtom

tdtom Gretschie

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    that glowing grain on the back though... wow!
    welcome to the forum.

8. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Welcome to G-T, nice guitar to start the collection with! Very easy to go from one to another to another... lol

9. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Howdy! Welcome to the madhouse!

You're starting your Gretsch collection off nicely.

10. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT RAFS!

Congrats on the geet sir!

11. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk, RAFS!

Congrats on your entry into the world of Gretsch guitars! You'll find that the "Gretschbucker" pickups (as they have been christened), don't quite get you into the realm of the Great Gretsch Sound, but they're still a step in the right direction (I started off with a 5120 that had the Gretschbuckers).

Again, congrats on your new guitar!

12. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, RAFS!
    Maple Leaf doormat.jpg

Zeek likes this.
  13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
  14. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    If you feel the need . . . Many of us are quite content without the jack plate.

thunder58 likes this.
  15. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Our new moderator would heartily disagree with you, Henry! He'd also say get a hardshell case too.

Congrats on the new guitar, RAFS and welcome to Gretsch Talk, the friendliest guitar forum on the internet. What's your next Gretsch? :) (You can't have just one!)

thunder58 likes this.
  16. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That would be an interesting poll, I know not everyone here adds a jack plate. I am pro hard case but also pro decent soft case.

thunder58 likes this.
  17. Wjensen

Wjensen Gretschie

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    What a beautiful guitar! Welcome to the forum as well. The guys and gals around here are a nice bunch. You'll have a lot of great conversations with fellow Gretsch guitarists.

Wade

18. RAFS

RAFS Electromatic

Oct 13, 2019
    Canada
    I managed to clear this one with the wife. Not sure how I'd pull off another one....... Although, she did say I need to get rid of one to get this one. So should that be the Explorer she got me for Christmas one year, or the Ovation she got me for my 40th??? LOL. None of them are leaving!!!!

Jeff67 and Zeek like this.
  19. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Congrats on a new beautiful guitar.
    Welcome to the forum.

20. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Welcome! Congrats on the 5122..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice