NUGD - Finally got a white guitar

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Stefan87, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hey Everyone,

After making the deal with the seller before Christmas it arrived yesterday, I am know the very proud and excited owner of a White Penguin G6134, I have been wanting one of these for so long and finally own a white guitar.

After my post asking if I should sell my black one to buy the white one I decided to keep the black and just be patient and get one when my financial situation was better as my wife and I have a beautiful 6 month old little girl.

But I kept looking at it and then decided to go through everything I own and sell off every car part that I had for the 'next project' that was never going to happen, every collectible I no longer look at and every item that hasn't been used for years to pull together the money to get it, then I asked my wife if it was ok, we always decide together on big purchases, she was happy with everything and now so am I.

Pictures are attached and I thought while I was taking some I would update my insurance pictures, so thought I'd put up pics of all my gear for you guys to look at if your interested, photos are not great, I'm not a photographer
    . WP1.jpeg WP2.jpg WP3.jpg WP4.jpg WP5.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  2. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Other Gear:
    6119SP - My first Gretsch, also my 21st birthday present in a roundabout sort of way.
    6119.jpeg

6120SSL Setzer Signature
    6120.jpeg

6134 Black Penguin
    BP1.jpeg

5230T
    5230T.jpeg

Squier Affinity Tele - Bought this to refinish it for my daughter but it is such an awesome thing for the money I can't bring my self to pull it down right now, these are such great bang for buck guitars.
    T.jpg

Cheap 3/4 Accoustic - My very first guitar
    S.jpeg

Maton 225 - Found this in a skipbin/dumpster
    M.jpg

Schecter C1+
    C1+.jpeg

Schecter C1 Jerry Horton Signature - Was a big Papa Roach fan when I was younger, still am now.
    C1PR.jpeg

JCM800 2205 head with 2x12 Vintage 30 cabinet
    MAMP.jpeg

3. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Congratulations!!! That is so worth it!!

Stefan87 likes this.
  4. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Strauss SB30 - Got it cheap
    SAMP.jpg

Gretsch family picture
    ALLG.jpeg

My most prized possession - (Not the guitars)
    G&B.jpeg

5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Congrats on your new White Penguin!

Stefan87 likes this.
  6. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Congrats on your new Penguin and your 6 month old too - what joy!

Stefan87 likes this.
  7. Zeek

Zeek Synchromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    Congrads sweet lookin Penguin, and others, an Lil One

Stefan87 likes this.
  8. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
    Congratulations on the sort of new baby (and the Penguin).

Stefan87 and larryb like this.
  9. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Congrats on your baby penguin....I mean your penguin and your baby girl;)

Stefan87 likes this.
  10. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Congrats. AND you sold off a bunch of stuff that you didnt need AND you kept that gorgeous black bird. Nice work all around

section2 and Stefan87 like this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Wait...you found a baby in a dumpster? I mean a Maton?!

Stefan87 likes this.
  12. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Really nice stuff!

Stefan87 likes this.
  13. Buckyboy

Buckyboy Electromatic

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Stefan87 likes this.
  14. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Congrats all around! That's quite the pair of Penguins there, a bevy of Gretsch goodness, God's own amplifier, & some other great looking guitars.

15. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Congrats on the Gretsch. That’s a great photo of your baby to cherish as well.

Thanks for reminding me I need to take a few photos for insurance as well.

16. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks for all the comments guys, first time parents and we couldn't be happier, truly is a wonderful thing.

Hey mbkri, that side of things worked out well, nothing but pure luck on the selling of things though as I didn't think I'd make the budget, all the pics and I didn't take one of the black and white side by side.

Hey Ricochet, my wife and I were living in a block of units/apartments at the time which had two big dumpsters that covered all the units, one morning when I was leaving for work I saw the headstock just under the lid with 2 broken tuners, didn't think much of it until I got home and saw it again so when I went to put our rubbish bag in the other dumpster I thought I'd check it out, it looked like someone must have left there unit and just did a massive clean out, it had 4 strings on it and was a bit dusty so I waited until it was dark and claimed it, $50.00 of parts and a good clean up later and she was good to play.

Thanks Sid, yes it's hard to beat a JCM800, amps are where I am lacking but am a Marshall fan and don't really want anything else really, well except a vox AC something or something fender tweedy lol.

Am quite happy with what I have, the only other guitar I would like is two tone smoke green 6118 as one of those where the very first gretsch I ever saw.

section2 and Ricochet like this.
  17. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks Merc, as happy as I am with the penguin, I still think your Blue 6228 is one of the nicest guitars I have seen, if the penguin wasn't already in motion and the AUD was better I would so have looked at one of them.

Between my wife and I we have a HEAP of pictures of her, she plays the guitar like it's a drum at the moment, not much strumming but a lot of bashing lol

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Merc likes this.
  18. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I've got to ask - compared to the Penguin how do you like the G5230? I have several Gretsches (four Proline and three Electromatic) and a G5220 I have just seems to stand out. They are all stellar but the G5220 seems a bit special to me.

Merc likes this.
  19. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    In all honesty I didn't expect the 5230 to be as good as it was, them and the 5220 are so good it's not funny.

I bought it in 2018 when we had just moved to Sydney, I left everything up in Brisbane at my parents house as we weren't sure how long we were going to be there so had nothing to play, was looking to buy a second hand pro jec or someting with plans to mod/turn into a penguin copy, but ended up spotting the airline silver 5230T and fell in love purely with the colour and the style of it and it was only a few hundred more then a cheap used jet, was tossing up between that or a blue 5220, the 5230 won purely on the colour alone.

I like the blacktops, they won't go anywhere, for me they fit the bill for anything I would play through the marshall, I haven't had much time playing it through the strauss which is a 6l6 based 30 watt clean style amp, sonic wise it's between the HS filters in my 6119 and the PAFS in my C1+ which I really like as it's not the same as something else I have, it's very comfortable to play, the only issues is the switch is a bit cheap and the bridge rattles, I would actually feel more comfortable gigging this then the penguins purely because it's cheaper and if it got damaged I wouldn't stress so much.

Another way to look at it is I was prepared to sell my black penguin to get the white one, I wasn't going to sell the 5230, also I am thinking of changing the pick ups in the white penguin and maybe the bridge (really want to love the bridge but will see how we go) to make it different from the black one but am not going to change anything on the 5230

new6659 likes this.
  20. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Nicely said. The silver one you have is very beautiful. If only these had been available 50 years ago:(

Stefan87 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice