Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Nu tube tech.

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Wulfgang, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Wulfgang

Wulfgang Synchromatic

May 22, 2009
    Seattle WA./Omaha NE
    Thought this might interest some of you out there.

2. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I saw this first demo by chance yesterday:

3. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I’ll pass. I’ve played the Vox MV50 and it sounded as crappy in real life as it does in that video. Thin, wimpy, and that plastic-y sounding buzzy overdrive just like in that video. Yuck. I in no way whatsoever see the “Nu-Tube” as the future. My Tech 21 Liverpool eats that “amp” for breakfast.

Waxhead, j.s.c and emicad like this.
  4. Wulfgang

Wulfgang Synchromatic

May 22, 2009
    Seattle WA./Omaha NE
    Ja, I'm still holding out till something really knocks my socks off. While not bad it wasn't as nice as the used AC10C1MB 10W 1x10 Tube amp for $150 more lol.

TSims1 likes this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Haven't heard a nutube I like yet, and I was reading something about these before but it isn't new tech at all as I understand it.

6. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Not a big fan

7. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    There have been a couple of attempts at creating electronic tubes. None have lasted.

8. Jet_streamliner

Jet_streamliner Gretschie

Nov 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    I’m also unsure of this nu tube technology. Enjoy many of the tube-y tones I get from hybrid amps. One being the unassuming Orange Micro Terror. And... I don’t know what kinda electronic wizardry is involved in making my Koch Jupiter amp tick (it uses a solid state power amp and 2 12ax7s). But, whatever it is - it works. Wouldn’t know it was a hybrid, unless someone told you.

9. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Were you playing through the 8” cab, or something more substantial?

10. DavidLee

DavidLee Synchromatic

Oct 11, 2014
    Des Moines
    [​IMG]

I want one of these. Such a long history with the Tube Screamer I want to add this one to my pedal collection!

Edit: I just saw these on Sweetwater's site - NO THEY ARE NOT IN STOCK YET - but it said their Sale Price is $249 :mad: Um, I'm not that interested in this pedal. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    thunder58 likes this.
  11. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Marshall 2x12!

12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Let me start by saying that Tony’s concerns are something I take quite seriously. I would definitely want to try one of these extensively before the old Visa is pulled from the wallet.

All that having been said, I am enthusiastic about the concept. This is a tube and I think that it may well represent the future of tube technology. I say this for one very simple, if not obvious reason, and that being that it is a move in the direction of efficiency.

Tube amps give us a wonderful imprecision which is why they sound better than many solid state amps. Solid states can sound great, but tubes make it look easy. This couples well with Class D solid state power amps, which are exceptionally efficient and not prone to harshness. Many class Ds use MOSFETs for their switching functions and can be very pleasing to the ear. I have a Genz Benz bass amp with a 12AX7 up front and a 600 watt class D power amp. It doesn’t know how to be harsh. I have played a Bass VI through it at max volume in an outdoor gig and it sounded like an old-school tube amp cranked up.

So I find the NuTube idea quite interesting. I think it may prove to be the best front end to compliment a class D power amp. The Vox MV50 may not be the last word in this technology, but I think that the speaker cabinet will be the deciding factor. They are selling it paired with an 8” speaker cab, which makes precisely as much sense as running my Deluxe Reverb or my Winfield Cyclone through a single 8” speaker. For example, my Winfield Cyclone is a 15 watt amp driving a 2x12” speaker cabinet tip-off the same design as a Marshall 2061. The amplifier moves electrons and can be quite small and still have the capacity to do its job. The speaker cabinet moves air molecules, and has to have some heft. That little 15 watt Winfield sounds as big as a house through that cabinet. I’d love to try a Vox MV-50 through the same speaker.

What I like most about the NuTube is that it is a low voltage device. Tube amps, as much as I love them, require hundreds of volts to operate the power tubes and somewhere around 100 volts in the preamp stage. A MOSFET poweramp and a NuTube that can run at transistor radio voltages certainly simplifies matters. The Vox amp uses a 19 volt power brick. I could foresee a situation where your guitar amp is simply the last device on a pedalboard.

The whole thing could fizzle, but I doubt that it will. Korg needs to do a couple of things to insure it’s success. For one thing, it needs to be socketed. While it’s unlikely that a vacuum fluorescent tube will fail in anything approaching normal operation, failures do occur and having this as a replaceable component will reduce market resistance. The next thing is to make support ubiquitous. The most likely item to fail is the power should be readily available so that any amp owner can carry a spare to gigs.

I think that they are are a very right track with AC(-30), Clean (think Twin) and Rock (think Marshall) version of the amp. If someone likes one, they may decide to make it a trifecta. The NuTube version of the Tube Screamer makes a lot of sense. It can also be used as a clean boost, which is very smart. Perhaps a couple more NuTube effects could be brought into the lineup. Having the device visible is a very good move. It’s interesting and you can see your signal in the varied light output. It doesn’t have any profound meaning, but it’s cool.

Perhaps this iteration is not ready for the big time, but I predict that future iterations will be better. I plan on playing one in person ASAP, and will have a better idea once I’ve done that.

MarkyMac and Wulfgang like this.
  13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Wow! Well, that being the case, I would have to conclude that they haven’t reached the goal line yet. I use a Marshall 2x12 myself and can vouch that it’s no shrinking violet.

I still think that the concept holds promise.

14. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    We shouldn't forget, that we talk about first generation products here, that will be avalaible after NAMM this year. So I wouldn't be astonished, if the second generation will be much better. Time will tell.

15. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Colour me sceptical...

Remember these?

[​IMG]

And AMT is making these now.

[​IMG]

There were at least two others. All gone.

Waxhead and Robbie like this.
  16. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

The nutube requires a buffer (transistor or opamp) and a follower (same again) to make it play nicely in a circuit. There's a lot of talk on the tech forums I hang out on about the design of these circuit blocks, mostly regarding how to make them sound 'tubey' and good, because the nutube stage doesn't.

So, effectively, the topology of the preamp is a solid state circuit that's tweaked to kind of emulate a tube sound with a nutube plopped in the middle. If you take the nutube out and use another opamp stage, the results are much the same. The opamp would cost like 20 cents.

If I was wearing a hat I'd tip it to Korg's marketing department.

Floo, Frank_NH and Ricochet like this.
  17. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    What is the main purpose of this? To me would be as an emergency/back up amplifier, but perhaps I'm wrong. Assuming this may be the case why would you not purchase a Tech 21 or even an Orange Micro Terror, etc. etc. ?

I've tried the MV50 with a number of cabinets, personally I wasn't happy with any combination 2x12, 1x12 or 4x10. And, I was looking for a small emergency amp not a main player. Certainly if someone is happy with it that's their choice

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  18. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Then you might be happier with an Amplifire-Box or similar amp sim in pedal format, which in my opinion is more likely the future, than the NuTube.

emicad likes this.
  19. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I’m interested to see how Gen II goes. It is a vacuum tube, and has at least some of the characteristics in common with a vacuum tube. As far as an all tube signal path is concerned, I don’t think that’s necessary in order to get a good sound. There are two hybrid amps within six feet of where I am sitting and both sound great. I remember reading, at least forty years ago, that only one stage of tube amplification would do the trick, and I have seen that hold true in my own experience.