Join Gretsch-Talk Today

NTD AC15C1 content

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by rockinforJesus, Jul 17, 2017.

1. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Gretschie

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    I finally got new tubes for my VOX amp. The Chinese ones in there have been fairly decent, but somewhat microphonic at times.
    Man, I think I had to remove like 48 screws, or something like that just to get to the tubes... ugh.
    As per a few recommendations here, I went with the JJ's. A matched set of EL84's, an ECC803S for V1, and ECC83's for V2 and V3.
    No earth shattering differences, but seems a bit smoother? So far, I like what I hear, but I'll report back after the honeymoon is over.

2. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Sounds like a nice upgrade. I'll be looking forward to your next report.

rockinforJesus likes this.
  3. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Gretschie

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    @ZackyDog
    Per your (?) previous recommendation, that 803S in V1 in addition to 83S's in V2 and the phase inverter positions seems to work well.
    JJ makes some good stuff. I did not notice any extra warmup time that you eluded to in your recent post though.
    Man, this VOX amp just keeps getting better. Good tubes + broken in speaker + quality pedals in the effects chain + good guitars = happiness. I almost bought a Fender amp just before I got this one. Glad I chose to go with VOX.

ZackyDog likes this.
  4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I'm glad to hear it worked out. I like the JJECC803S better than NOS/ANOS and many new production tubes.

Fender make great amps too. But I have been using VOX for 30+ years, because of George & John's sounds from the early Beatles.

rockinforJesus likes this.
  5. Fjrabon

Fjrabon Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    Atlanta
    You can change the tubes only removing the very bottom panel, which I think is 6 screws.