NPUD..... T-Armonds finally!

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by ruger9, Feb 4, 2020.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Hello.... Cabronita T-Armonds.jpg

larryb, blueruins, DennisC and 20 others like this.
  2. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Sweet

I’m looking at those for one of my Gretschs

ruger9 likes this.
  3. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    Getting a pair this week for my jet

ruger9 and Merc like this.
  4. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    What ya reckon?

ruger9 likes this.
  5. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I'll have to report back.... short version:

Fat, clear. Like fat tele pickups. Not as hot as T-90s. I've read them described as "in-between tele pickups and P90s", and that seems accurate. More clarity than 90s, but still fat.

6. sleeperNY

sleeperNY Gretschie

Jun 18, 2008
    central NY
    I have them on a 6120-55VS. great sounding pickups. Think Duane Eddy!

Jim

ruger9 likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Looks great and a nice fit

ruger9 likes this.
  8. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I actually think they'd sound GREAT in my Hot Rod... they may end up there eventually...

9. rake_ether

rake_ether Electromatic

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    Thinking of putting them in my Corvette

ruger9 likes this.
  10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Wow, that's very very nice!

ruger9 likes this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I like it!

ruger9 likes this.
  12. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Oh my oh my, Tele tone and P90 tone, I love both.. Come to think of it, I have both:D

ruger9 likes this.
  13. larryr

larryr Gretschie

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    Can the T Armond pickups use 250k pots?

ruger9 likes this.
  14. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    It can, but they are fat enough I think they benefit from at least 500Ks

larryr likes this.
  15. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I’m looking for that tonality, but could do without the whole Dyna mechanism. Any ideas?

ruger9 likes this.
  16. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Looks good, but I'm curious about something... the adjustment screws are facing each other, both sets oriented towards the middle, rather than both facing the bridge side (which is how they are on my Silver Jet). Is that what you get when you ask TV Jones to reverse wind the bridge pup to get noise canceling when using both pups, or did you just mount them that way, and if that's the case, do you get same noise canceling effect without the reverse winding?

I've been thinking about getting some of these, would luv to know. thx.

ruger9 likes this.
  17. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    In Filtertron size? Like a Dyna but w/o the "elevator" pole pieces? Closest would probably be a T-90, but it's not close. If you could find someone who makes a P-90 with magnet poles in a Filtertron size, that would likely be close. Actually, in PAF size, the GFS Surf 90s sound ALOT like these pickups, no joke. Also, TVJ makes (or DID?) Starwood Tele pickups... for a standard tele... those have some of the Dyna/T-Armond tonality, with huge magnet poles.

BTW... you don't have to USE the Dyna mechanisms... but it's interesting: they came pre-adjusted for string height/radius, but I do hear some volume balancing that needs to be done, at least with MY string set, so I will likely be messing with them.

IDK what Grestch factory does, but the poles being opposite is the normal orientation. I have seen some people flip the neck pickup (so the poles are closer to the bridge) to make it less boomy, and I have but seen people flip the bridge (so the poles are closer to the neck) to make it less ice-picky. But poles opposite is the "normal" way.

TVJ always sells his sets RWRP I think. You just install the pickups with the TVJ logos facing the same way - which also correlates to the wire coming out the "bottom" (controls side of the guitar) of both pickups, for wire routing through the body (on solid bodies).

Highroller and Ricochet like this.
  18. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    SC, P90 or Filter size is fine. I don’t like SCs using a HB footprint. And I absolutely detest the “elevator” mechanism.
    Yes Starwood Tele would be interesting. I used a Seymour Tele Quarterpounder with over sized magnet rods for years. Nice pickup but tonally it has nothing to do with a Tele. :)

ruger9 likes this.
  19. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    That's interesting, my #1 tele bridge is a Rio Grande Muy Grande.... which has the oversize pole pieces.... it's very much "tele", just a fatter, more rock-capable tele.... but it is still, definitely, tele DNA. I've never played a QP, but from descriptions/reviews I've read, it's more "rocking" than the Muy Grande is. (Rio also has the Halfbreed, which is in-between the "classic" Tallboy and the "ballsier" Muy)

IDK what size you're after, but GFS also has the NYII- which is the Dearmond top-mount version.... (like Surf 90: magnet poles)

Ricochet likes this.
  20. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Thanks, I just just ran thru about 50 Silver Jet pics and you're right - the more common way seems to be poles opposite. I don't know why I never noticed that before - ha! But mine's (6129-57T) definitely not that way - it's "screws on the bridge side" like below. Maybe it's another one of those pre-FMIC "reissue errors" - they didn't always get the details right back then!

Tell you what though - it's a great sounding guitar. I don't want to lose that super clean tone when I swap out the pups. I hope the TV's deliver!

Anyway, your note about the wiring makes perfect sense. Thanks for your comments.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Merc and ruger9 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice