npd: TheGigRig G2

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by ramjac, Nov 10, 2019.

1. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    No more procrastinating. This is the loop switcher, the arrival of which I’ve been eagerly awaiting and simultaneously dreading. The worst part is over: the power and signal cables are roughed in and tested for resistance and crosstalk. Everything powers up and I was able to set a few of the basic parameters. But the manual is 37 pages, so I’ll be getting some sleep before diving in to the advanced settings.

A2124DA1-75B7-44A7-A936-369E1AEDE1EA.jpeg

Zeek, audept, thunder58 and 2 others like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    NASA Technology at it's finest

ramjac likes this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I need 6 of these.

ramjac likes this.
  4. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    All of that and only one reverb?

ramjac likes this.
  5. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Even that one reverb is probably just taking up space. I need a reverb remover for the room that I use it in.

TSims1 likes this.
  6. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Wow. I am envious! Congrats! I have a gazillion questions...

First, you have like 17 pedals... how are you assigning them to the 10 loops? I know that you can expand the G2 to 14 individual loops with the use of two Remote Loopys, but...

I'd love to hear how you're implementing presets vs. "pedal mode" and just how easy or hard it is to make a preset, especially when causing a MIDI pedal to change patches.

Please post as much as you can as you master the G2. I wish to learn vicariously. ;-p

How heavy is your board?!? It's a big sucker!

Thanks for posting!

ramjac likes this.
  7. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Gretschie

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I have 6 pedals and you have 17....... what are you guys playing????

Loopers and switchers are one thing Im glad I wouldnt need in the near future.. this would really do my head in, not to mention, the time I would spend!

hats off to you!

ramjac likes this.
  8. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    17 pedals and only 10 loops definitely requires certain choices to be made depending on your priorities. If I was allowed to perform onstage in a band I’d have built a smaller board and assigned pedals 1:1 to loops so I could rely exclusively on presets. But no club manager worth their salt is going to allow me inside their venue carrying an instrument case unless I can bring in at least two or three dozen single females and pay for all the beer I drink. So this is really more about solving technical problems at home. I use the loops primarily for noisier problematic pedals and pedals that I want to be able to reorder (wah, filter, compressor) without lifting up my board and disturbing the wiring (yep, it’s heavy). Pedals that are always on don’t need loops. Pedals of a similar type, like overdrives, where I tend to use one for a while, then switch back to another a few months later, can be grouped. Essentially, I mapped out the way I actually use my pedals and found that 10 loops was more than enough. I had one left over that I use for an auxiliary input for testing out pedals that I want to demo.

Still learning about presets vs stompbox mode, as this takes some getting used to. Right now I have everything set up in stompbox mode except for Tuner and bypass. Will tackle MIDI much later.

One thing I really like so far is how easy this thing made implementing a stereo setup. Built-in isolation transformer, phase reverse, and moveable buffers with signal boosters.

PM with any specific questions.

9. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Doing my head in is probably what this is really all about, to be totally honest. I have a need for that. Otherwise, yeah, I don’t really need a lot of the stuff in my garage.

10. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I used to have this many and STILL wouldn’t allow myself to go the looper route. I had this idea that(in my big macho voice)”if I couldn’t turn em all on and off myself in real time, then I shouldn’t have that many pedals”. Lol.

11. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Your macho voice seems to know what it’s talking about, though. People actually pay you to walk into their buildings by yourself carrying an instrument case, and so you need to keep it simple and get down to getting down.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice