NPD! Keeley 30ms Automatic Double Tracker.

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Crooner, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    I've wanted one of these for a while but had to wait until I found one for the right price. That day came!

[​IMG]

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  3. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Oh man, I've been watching out for one of those too!

Lister likes this.
  4. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Congrats!

I've really liked mine alot, mostly using it for very characterful slapback w/ a flavoring of the Abbey chamber or lazy mono doubling. Still haven't hooked it up stereo, but based on anecdotal feedback & demos, it seems like it could be even cooler used in that capacity.

Merc and Lister like this.
  5. Lister

Lister Electromatic

Oct 25, 2019
    Omaha
    Congrats! I've been looking at those for a while and it's next on the list once my Snouse arrives.

6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Very cool sounding pedal. Congrats.

7. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I went with the TC Electronics Mimiq, but also really wanted to check this guy out too!

Waxhead likes this.
  8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Great pedal, great sound, I love mine.

Waxhead likes this.
  9. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Great pedal. Killer slapper.

10. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    The Strymon Deco does this very well along with a few other tricks too - like phasing including zero flanging and great slapback echo.
    That said you can't go wrong with a Keeley pedal - Enjoy!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  11. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yepp - that's what I want too.

12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah looks great - had not seen before but it's now on my radar :)
    here's a similar pedal I'm interested in getting - a polyphonic pitchshifter that does 2 additional voices.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    here's another good review of the Keeley - this aussie guy goes thru all its features well :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

audept likes this.
  14. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Wow. I must admit I'm a bit surprised by how many folks are interested in this kind of pedal. I guess I in good company... makes me feel good about my purchase!

I did check out the Mimiq and the BrainWaves and while both are very cool, I really liked the simplicity of the 30ms. It's one of those straight forward boxes that doesn't try to do too much but rather focuses on just a couple of features and nails them.

Similarly, I have an EHX POG 2 on my acoustic board and wanted to get a MicroPOG for my upcoming electric board and ended up with a JHS modified MicroPOG, which adds two additional foot switches and knobs, effectively giving you three distinct sounds instead of just one. My thought was using it mainly as an octave up pedal to simulate a 12 string sound, but, like the POG 2, there are some audio artifacts that show up when you play chords that have any dissonance to them. This has led me to the Digitech Mosaic, which is designed for one thing and one thing only... a 12 string effect. And unlike the EHX POG family, there are no artifacts, so when I find one for around $60 I'll grab one.

In the meantime, the 30ms is a real winner. I can only imagine how it sounds in a full stereo rig. When I finally do up my board, which will be a wet/dry rig, I'm going to see if there's a way to have the modulation, time and verb effects going only to the wet amp but have the 30ms run in stereo (or see if there's a way to feed the dry signal to the dry amp and the effected signal to the wet).

This pedalboard is going to require pro help and I've been I touch with Dan of That Pedal Show and Mason Marangella of Vertex Effects for a bit of advice.

At this time the only things I'm 100% sure about is that I'll be going with a Schmidt Array board and the GigRig power system. I've been leaning heavily towards the GigRig G2 for the switching, but Mason from Vertex is advocating for something like the RJM Mastermind.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

audept likes this.
  15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Those are cool, I'd like one for sure. I have two Keeley's, a Mag Echo and a Memphis Sun and both are excellent.

16. OldTwanger64

OldTwanger64 Electromatic

Sep 6, 2018
    Missouri
    I always knew there was something special about that Linda Ronstadt rendition of 'You're No Good' besides her great vocals! My young (at the time) ears picked right up on that psycho-acoustic effect of Automatic Double tracking, decades before I even knew what I was hearing! Too bad you don't see it as much in today's recordings, along with those classic multi-panned elements (tracks) in the stereo field...

17. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Here's a cool trivia factoid... the guitarist on You're No Good was Andrew Gold, who later had quite a few hits, himself.

18. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Lets just say he was a " Lonely Boy " on " The Golden Girls " ;)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  19. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    No suggestions for ya but hope you'll report back on how your proposed set up comes together :)

Having done a fair bit of research on this Keeley 30ms pedal I've decided to get one and stick it in the loop of my Mesa Mark V 25. It will replace an Analogman chorus pedal I rarely use.

audept likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice