NPD Katzenkonig + 16 pedals on a dead man's chest.

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by BatmansGretsch, Mar 27, 2020.

1. BatmansGretsch

BatmansGretsch Gretschie

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    yo ho ho and a bottle of ...

[​IMG]

gtttrrr, DennisC, Trash Kidd and 6 others like this.
  2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Congrats! Been a long time fan of the Katzenkonig myself. Enjoy!

BatmansGretsch likes this.
  3. BatmansGretsch

BatmansGretsch Gretschie

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    It is amazing. It's got tone. Tone, tone, tone. You don't even have to go on an epic search for tone with it. Just plug it in, clean channel and read the manual. Adjust pickups and boom, tone. I go from hard rock palm mutes to soaring solos with chimes, bells, and blooms without needing to adjust anything on it.

I wanted a RAT as it is something I could also blend with a high gain amp. Notice the dead rat on the pedal? Katzenkonig... Cat King. A bit of an in-joke.

I love pedals that make you sound better than what you really are and this is one of them. You can get away with even playing a little bad. It seems to compensate because even the bad sounds semi-good.

Bertotti and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  4. BatmansGretsch

BatmansGretsch Gretschie

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    It really sounds like this...

Merc likes this.
  5. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    nice pedal board, those Earthquaker pedals have a lot of character and great sounds too. I keep thinking about a Dispatch Master or Avalanche Run, I can't decide. Will have to wait for the next paycheck though.

Has anyone seen the Dunlop mini Fuzz Face pedals? Aren't they so cute? I guess they have been out for a while now, I just have not been paying attention or pedal shopping much until recently.
    https://www.guitarworld.com/magazine/review-dunlop-fuzz-face-mini-pedals

PS - the name is KATZENKÖNIG - it's just not the same without the umlaut. Don't Fear the Umlaut!

Hmm, that would be a cool name for a band: Ümlåût!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    BatmansGretsch likes this.
  6. BatmansGretsch

BatmansGretsch Gretschie

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    It is interesting the differences in sensitivity between pedal brands. The Boss groups I had I find I need to turn up more. The Earthquakers are sort of low to mid regions before they come into their own. The Catalinbread stuff on low settings is already there in some form. The exception on the board is the loudest pedal which is easily the Acapulco Gold which emulated a cranked Sun.

I had a lot of other pedals. My overdrive was a TS9 but the Dunes is more suitable for 808 overdriven tones. I was using a Boss DD3 for ages but switched to the Belle Epoch Deluxe. I might put the DD3 back on the board but for now the Deluxe settings give me a range of delay options. I had a Boss GE7 for EQ but the hiss was too much. So I replaced it with an EQ Tone Job. I got a dedicated boost EQD Arrows to keep my overdrive free for overdriving with gain and not just boosting. I replaced the metal muff with a combination of Big Muff and Katzenkonig. I replaced a MXR Phaser with the Night Wire tremolo from EQD but it isn’t exactly a full Phaser replacement. It’s aimed at tremolo with some phasing features. I replaced a tone sucking Dunlop Cry Baby with this Dunlop/CAE wah which has true bypass.

This is not a dedicated pedalboard. It’s a mix of stuff that allows me to play on my high gain amps and my clean amps.

7. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I have the same BM since a few weeks - same basic setting, wicker is on, tone knob is off.

Katzenkönig sounds nice. If I could apply for that job anywhere, I'd totally do it ... belly rubs all day, being high on catnip all day, and whoever complains will feel claws, teeth and his mug being pushed off somewhere, haha, ... oh, man, it's just a pedal ... I'm underqualified anyway, just a human. Servant to even non-aristocraticious cats, when they accept me. The dead rat actually proves the cat depicted there being a well-qualified one - a rat isn't an easy prey, they know how to defend themselves. Mama has to teach the kitties, or they likely won't ever enjoy a meal of fresh rat inners...

BTT - I've been thinking about a Katzenkönig myself ... the name acutally brought it into my mind, but it appeared a bit too costy at this time (unclear job situation, ... on/off, back/forth, ... ....... that's for elsewhere). As it is said to be a Fuzz ... will it differ enough from the Muff to justify having both? I actually don't really hear the Muff as a full blown fuzzy Fuzz and Fuzz alone, but more a nice-sounding overdrive with a well-dosed bit of fuzziness in it's sound ... prefer the settings around 9 or 10 o'clock ...

... however, it's nice, the Demos I saw/heard sound nice, too - maybe I'll buy one some day. Is on the "look for used ones"-list, as there's no reason to hurry.

Most important: Meow. Translates to "enjoy playing, enjoy the pedal, get me food, rub my head, sideways, and now play me a lullaby while I destroy your couch - nevermind, was a pleasure to help you regarding furniture!"

Or so. Kidding a bit too much ... reads like it's one of the good ones, so ... seriously, honestly - enjoy!

BatmansGretsch and GlenP like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice