Join Gretsch-Talk Today

NPD: I am no longer Brainless

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Pdnlegs, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I appreciate that. I might take you up on that offer. But I don't know that I want to be apart from it. It's seems like if I slowly spin the connecter there are two positions where the power cuts out. Everywhere else is it's fine.

If it's not going to get any worse I will just live with it.

Honestly I probably wouldn't have noticed it but it did it right when I plugged in. The lights came on and I set it down and they went out. But the two positions that seem to cause it my power cord wouldn't be in that position with the guitar cables plugged in.

2. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I just sent a pm with my phone number.
    If there is a problem with the pedal, of course I’m going to make it right as a gentleman. I sincerely believe it is the power though. Tavo’s builds are solid and I really baby my gear.

I felt badly selling it but loved the idea of passing it on to someone who would dig it as much as I did my first Dyno.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Rob Williams and audept like this.
  3. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I am loving it. And I am glad you wanted to spread the... Brains? I think it will be fine. If it becomes a problem I might have to take Tavo up on his offer but I think it will be fine. Don't worry about it man. Sleep easy knowing that I am loving it. And I appreciate the deal that was made and that you seem to be a stand up guy.

I have wanted one of these for almost exactly two years.

Rob Williams, Henry and Srellim1 like this.
  4. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Almost exactly two years ago I was listening to one of my Setzer Christmas CDs as i do every year during the holiday season. My kids know Setzer by name and sound. His song comes on the radio they know who it is. Not just the Christmas ones either.

Anyway. I had just recently got back into playing guitar a lot. That summer I had purchased my Vox VT20+ big upgrade from the Frontman 10 I had had since senior year in high school. I had started playing at church and was starting to get interested in pedals.

So listening to that Setzer CD got me wanting to learn to play like him and sound like him. That led me to some website breaking down what gear he uses. And somehow that led me to a post about the Atomic Brain. And it was that awesome pale green color one at the time. The one that looks like it might glow in the dark. And I knew then I wanted that pedal.

Two years later I have a Gretsch 5420, a Fender Princeton Reverb, many new (to me, most were purchase used) pedals, and finally I have a Brain

Srellim1 likes this.
  5. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Still can't play like Setzer though. Not holding my breath on that one.

Rob Williams likes this.
  6. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    It’s a gatewayBrain.
    In two years you’ll find yourself with a Ubangi, Sleeper Drive (it’s a thing!) and a JR Barnyard.
    I’m looking into a Barnyard or Bass Brain at some point.
    I hear talk of a reverb...

Pdnlegs likes this.
  7. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Already gassing for a Ubangi

Srellim1 likes this.
  8. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    thats a short in your 9v power supply cables?

9. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    Yeah, I'm gassing for a Jr Barnyard and a mystery Brain...unfortunately I seem to have misplaced my financial paddle up this monetary creek that smells suspiciously like.....

Srellim1 likes this.
  10. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
  11. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    That has happened to me too sometimes, WITH the suggested BOSS PSA power supply. I think it's either a loose power jack in the brain or a poor (physical tolerance) power connector in the BOSS. In fact I got a better contact with a cheapo Thomann power supply. Nowadays I'm using a Voodoo Labs power supply in the pedal board and haven't had any power issues in several months :).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  12. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I don't think so because I tried 3 different ones. But who knows. I will dig out some brand new ones next time I get a chance. Probably won't be till this weekend. This week is crazy busy the rest of the week. Basically won't be home again till Saturday.

13. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    This sounds about right. It's like as i slowly spin the power cord it looses contact at two points. But thankfully i should never have a need to spin the power supply jack in any practical situation.

Need to get a pedal board and will probably never be an issue again.

My issue with my other pedal is different. I was curious if spinning the power supply would have any effect and it did not. So seems like a similar yet unrelated issue.

JHowdy likes this.
  14. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Yes, about the same here, although I didn't study that carefully. I just turned the plug a little until I got contact and the lights got back on :).

upload_2017-11-14_12-36-41.jpeg

Pdnlegs likes this.
  15. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Pdnlegs, I was glad to see that you're enjoying your new Atomic Brain, and congrats on stepping into the world of Brains! Once you get the little glitch figured out, you'll never look back.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  16. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    pleeeeze send it in for check up, I build roadworthy gear and if something wonky it needs fixin.. :) :)

[​IMG]

17. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Ha, I just have to borrow ^that brain picture :D

18. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    If there is an issue with the power jack and you send it to Tavo for a tune up,
    I will happily reimburse you (both) for priority shipping. Now, or if you do it a year from now.
    Gear stuff should be fun. Not a headache.

Hammerhead, audept and russmack like this.
  19. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I use industry standard DC Jacks from the usual suspect electronics suppliers. I actually mount them upside down incase someone steps on the DC power cable that goes in the jack, its more stable.. but they can only take being stepped on once or twice if the audio cables arent there to protect. A pedal board is the best measure for keeping your power jacks safe.
    These jacks are bolted to the body of the pedal box and have hardwire flying leads, like amplifiers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Tavo I will try and take a video and send it to you this weekend. So you can see what is happening. Maybe on Facebook. I tried to take a video on here and it said the file was too big. We can discuss the best course of action after that. But I will not have a chance till probably Saturday.

Seems like something I can live with. But I wouldn't want it to get worse.