Join Gretsch-Talk Today

NPD: I am no longer Brainless

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Pdnlegs, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
  2. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Okay this is scareing me

Plugged it in an and it lit up. Set it down and the lights died. If I move the power supply cord it will either light up or die. Is this normal?

3. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Power issues aside. I am already absolutely loving this pedal.

4. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    It's weird at first it does not seem like much. I told my daughter it's very subtle. She listens and she said "it's just louder"

But spend just a few minutes with it and you realize it's so much more.

It's a very inspiring Pedal.

5. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I don't recall the actual draw. 15-35 mah?
    Use the 100 mah port if you are not daisy chaining with others. Save the 300 mah port for higher draw digital pedals or to daisy chain.

6. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
  7. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I have another boutique pedal acting similarly I am wondering it's my power supply, or maybe the cords. It does not do it with my Flashback or my OCD, or my Rick O'Shea. But it was doing it with the Brain and my Stone Deaf PDF2. Weird.

8. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    Might be a dodgey lead? I think Tavo builds them pretty solidly....

Pdnlegs likes this.
  9. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Thanks. I am a noob on power supply issues. Have never even daisy chained before.

I just always try to hook a pedal to the port that it says it calls for. Always nervous about frying a pedal. Didn't know if it was okay to use a higher mA on a pedal that calls for let's say 100mA

10. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I don't know. I tried 3 different cables.

And it didn't do it on the Flashback.

But the Flashback and the OCD will actually stay lit for a second after the power is removed/turned off. So maybe moving them is not noticed on them because of that.

Makes me nervous. But if it doesn't get any worse I can just put it in a position it works. But does make me paranoid. But like I said I have been having a similar problem with my PDF2 and Stone Dead is supposed to be super sturdy hand built pedals also.

11. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    Maybe pull the bottom off and see if you can see a broken/cracked wire from the power supply port in the pedal. I think that would be the most likely cause if it is the pedal....?

12. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    This is unfortunately why I often don’t buy used electronics unless it’s from someone I know. The lack of warranty support always scares me.

13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Synchromatic

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Bummer, that could be why the previous owner unloaded it. The most likely thing is the socket for the power supply being worn or loose.
    It's great havin' a Brain though, isn't it?

Rob Williams likes this.
  14. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Guys- I sold the pedal to the poster.
    I promise you that it is in pristine condition. I pamper my pedals and only sold the Atomic to make up the cost of a second Mystery Brain.
    Check first going directly into a wall outlet or power bar with a 9v supply.
    I’m 99.999999 that that there is no issue. If there is, I am here to ensure that this gets resolved in a right way.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  15. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Srellim has been great through the whole process guys.

Very friendly. Very fast ship. All is good.

Like I said I have another pedal that is behaving in a similar manner. I would post video but when. I try it says the file is too large.

Tony65x55 and Srellim1 like this.
  16. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Another question. Is it normal for a brain to power up without a guitar cable plugged in. My other pedals have to have a cable in the input. This one does not.

17. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Most DC power cable connectors look the same, but some are 2.1 mm diameter and others can be 2.5 mm. Quite often these are interchangeable but sometimes the fit is not snug enough for reliable contact to be maintained and moving the pedal slightly will interrupt the power. Check out the power cable end/pedal DC input connection to see if it is a tight or loose connection. Sometimes it can be this simple.

Srellim1 and Rob Williams like this.
  18. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I don't want any drama.

If I just position the cord where it works and leave it it works just fine.

I did just discover if you do mess with it and it loses power while plugged into the amp you get some pretty great space laser sounds lol.

19. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Sounds like the power supply.. The Brain pulls about 18mA max. On these new Atomics the LEDs have their grounds connected together and
    that ground lead goes to the output jacks (-). The DC jacks (-) also ties in there as does the circuit board.
    Its a new version so if you find its not your power supply then I'm happy to look it over for you.

20. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    And I finally get to what all of you have been talking about. I don't think I will ever turn this thing off. I have tried many pedals. This one has done the best job of getting me to that sound in my head.

TSims1 and Srellim1 like this.