NPD: Hear that train a’comin’

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by calebaaron666, Sep 20, 2019.

1. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    17C67B10-F2FA-40DB-8FCE-35BB0507B053.jpeg
    I finally broke down and got myself the Keeley Memphis Sun pedal.
    I’ve had my eye on this baby since it first came out, but resisted for some reason.
    I still haven’t figured out all of the spots it can be used in my band’s current set (I’ve only just begun messing with it today). I used it for a couple tunes with the settings pictured after my Mystery Brain. Sounded SLEAZY!

I’m looking forward to finding all of the usable raunchy old-school rock n’ roll sounds this puppy has to offer.

Anyone else have one?
    How do you like to set it?

Our own @TSims1 did the best demo of it available on the youtubes.

Thanx for looking!

2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Congrats, Looooove this one! Great addition IMO. It's my prime candidate for minimalist pedalboard use as it seems to serve my needs for verb/slap for at least 80% of what I'd use them for in a live setting. This guy, a trem (if not using an amp w/ a good one onboard), a tuner, & a boost & I'm pretty well set w/ the options I really need.

That being said, the board I've got mine living on is pretty decidedly non-minimalist for me:
    [​IMG]
    I've generally got the room verb set a bit lower than when using it by itself feeding the Boing (they stack really tastily IMO) on here, but it's generally on the middle setting of the switch w/ the delay living firmly in slap-town. It's just got such a great character to me.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I've had one for a couple years and its one of my favorite's. I use it pretty subtly for just a little ADT warble or slap back. It sounds great.

calebaaron666 and Merc like this.
  4. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    VERY nice, I'd like to hear you play some tunes through it once you get it dialed in

calebaaron666 likes this.
  5. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Congrats. I was eyeing this one as well for the longest time too. Even though there’s no need for me with my Mystery Brain. If I had the extra $$ I would likely get an echo pedal collection going. This one would likely make the list of my top five to pick up. Enjoy!

6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Don't particular care for this pedal. It's like it has a layer of light fuzz on top of it.
    Just wanted to chip in to say awesome demo. I wish Tony would do more of them.

Bertotti likes this.
  7. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    Oh dear what have you done. I think this is right up my alley. Looks like you’ve just spent £152 for me, although I may trade in my MXR carbon copy which isn’t really doing it for me

8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ...you got that right my friend . Congrats and enjoy

9. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nice, congratulations. I saw that TSims video and was torn between buying the pedal or quitting guitar

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Lionpotato, MTurner and calebaaron666 like this.
  10. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    There you go!

Falcon into Nocturne Mystery Brain preamp into memphis sun into deluxe reverb.

11. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Great talent on here! Tony!!!! My goodness! You should do all pedal reviews as far as I’m concerned!

Mr. Baaron, great job as well!

That is one fine sounding pedal.

12. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Nice!!! Although this does make my decision tougher in that I had my eyes, of course really my ears, set on Tavo's JR Barnyard. I know they are 2 different beasts but both bring out "the raw".

Very cool calebaaron and nice demo for us to hear.....talent!!!!

13. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Are you looking for or are more in need of an echo or a vintage raw 50’s raw sound?

The Memphis Sun seems like a great echo for the money. If you need or go the JR Barnyard direction, I believe Tavo has some in stock. But if you can wait, might I suggest the El Pescadoro? I recently picked one up and it’s growing to be my favorite pedal. The El P is a streamlined version of the JR Barnyard pre. But it’s got such a great Reverb on there for ambience and only $56 more than the JR B. It’s so good that it’s the first pedal I’ve decided to pick up a second one of (though I really only need one.) I contacted Tavo already and the next batch may not be until December. Well worth it though if you’re leaning toward the JR B over the echo. Just some food for thought.

14. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Excellent!!!

15. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Thanx!

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  16. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I can’t speak to the barnyard preamp cuz I haven’t tried one. I’m pretty hooked on the mystery brain, myself.

This Memphis Sun pedal is a lo-fi slap back pedal that’s supposed to mimic the sounds of the tape echo Sam Phillips used on the classic sun studio recordings.

I still mostly rely on the delay feature on the mystery brain. So far I’m just using this new guy to add a little something different to a few tunes.
    I didn’t do this in the video, but having both the echo from the MB and this Sun pedal on at the same time is pretty awesome.

TV the Wired Turtle and Merc like this.
  17. JCW513

JCW513 Gretschie

Sep 21, 2017
    Boston
    Man two different threads with this pedal, makes me miss mine.

18. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    My LED went out in mine and they wanted me to send it to them.....no way, so they sent me a LED and i fixed it myself.

Merc likes this.
  19. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Nice! Was that a complicated task?

20. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Very easy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice