NPD: Another Keeley...

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I had been liking the 30ms Double Tracker so much and had waited long enough for a Memphis Sun to pop up locally to take the plunge and order one last Friday. Found a used one in mint condition from CME for a decent price and was surprised to find a new one enclosed when I opened the box from them yesterday. I'm not going to complain unless they try to hit me up for the difference in price :)

I cleared off the bass Nano+ board last night and put this config together to check things out:
    [​IMG]
    So far I'm really liking the Memphis Sun and this little setup all together. I've spent most of my time dialing in the super fantastic slap sounds, but the ADT setting w/ its modulation and unique and very tasty ambiance, and the great room verb by itself should wind up getting a lot of use for me as well. It's got a great character all around and seems equally at home to me contributing to pretty to nasty sounds. It's seems to stack very well w/ the Boing for great atmoshperic drippy stuff too.

I've got plans for these pedals to move to a scaled up config once a certain trem pedal shows up, but honestly these 4 seem to cover a whole lot of ground for me, especially if I'm using an amp that has a good trem. I think this Metro 24 setup could be "the one" for the moody, dynamic stuff w/ really great aggro sounds as well if I could find a black or gold or rootbeer Atomic/Dyno/Mystery Brain to take the place of the Ditto, ARP-87, and Tumnus on there...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    pmac11, Merc and Bertotti like this.
  2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Wow thats quit a big rig!

3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Nice, i love my Memphis Sun. Give the Mag Echo a try if you can too. The ADT effect on the Sun is probably my favorite thing it does.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  4. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I had been wondering about the Memphis Sun. In truth there are just so many good echo pedals out there today like the Strymon, Bell Epoch, etc. Right now I’m using the Dunlop EP103 and love it’s simplicity and it sounds really great.

5. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    So far, I'm really liking the 30ms DT and the Memphis Sun for fairly straight forward slapback (which in reality, covers my delay/echo needs for at least 90% of my live playing w/ other humans). The double tracking is very nice too, and seems to work great for thickening things up in mono mode and/or adding some very nice and characterful modulation (still haven't checked out the stereo mode on the 30ms but I'm guessing it would be pretty great used in a bi-amp setup). The verbs on either are really nice for the room ambiance and some natural sounding early reflections and stacked up w/ a good spring pedal, they provide some extra dimension and atmosphere to the drip when it's called for. The rooms seem to have pretty distinct personalities that fit their inspirations to my ears as well.

Merc and audept like this.
  6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Try the Abbey Chamber Verb as well. Sid. It's the ambience part of the 30ms on its own.

Sid Nitzerglobin and pmac11 like this.
  7. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    I was never much of a pedal guy until a few months ago. My entire life was using the pedal that came with my old Princeton Chorus and then my AC30.

Back in the fall I got an SDRUM for some basic recording project (nice but limited - forget about time changes in a song or a 2/4 bar linking verse/chorus) and a Keeley 1962x.

I wanted a Crowther Hotcake because they apparently pair perfectly with AC30s but they're very hard to get ahold of. So I got a Keeley which I really like for overdrive. It sounds great with my Sheraton, just not that good with my 5420 sadly.

Still, now I want more and a Keeley Compressor Plus is next and after reading this thread suddenly I'm off to read up on the Memphis Sun...

8. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    That 1962x is a really good one IMO.

I haven't got along w/ the Keeley workstation type pedals so far (of course I've only tried used ones in stores...) but all the rest have worked out great for me.

audept likes this.
  9. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    The workstations seem more involved than I want to get but yeah, I really like my 1962x. And I just watched a few vids for the Memphis Sun and... omg omg omg I want one! ;)

Looks like I'm a confirmed Keeley guy now. The 1962x, Compressor Plus and Memphis Sun would probably cover all my needs. Hope they all come with that cool clear green pick. It's too thick for me for guitar but it's great for bass.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice