Now that they're collecting tax.....

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by SWoody, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Sales tax is not a "new product" tax. It is a tax on selling goods in the marketplace. No, it is NOT double taxation. I get paid and I lay taxes on that. Then I go out and pay for services and goods and the recipient get taxes, that is not "double taxation on "used" income", it's a tax on income.

The biggest loophole / unfairness imo is that there are no sales taxes on sevices, which is the biggest part of the economy. It is also regressive as the higher income and wealthy tend to spend a larger share on services (think lawyers, beauticians, spas, accountants, and yes luthiers and musicians).

I would support reducing the sales tax to say 3% (compared to 8-9% on goods in California) and charge it on goods AND services, even thought it would affect both my income (as a lawyer providing legal services) and as someone who spends a lot on services.

A lower, more broad based tax would have less of a distortive effect on spending, particularly as we increasingly have a choice between goods and services (e.g. buying a car vs car share).

ponca likes this.
  2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Don't even mention what we pay for fuel.

3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Imo shipping will remain free because it will be, and is already, factored into the price of the product, just as the price of the product incorporates the costs the merchant pays to receive the goods.

Also, free shipping has a cross subsidization effect that benefits people in less populated, and generally lower income, areas. It is much less expensive to deliver a product to someone living in an apartment tower with thousands of residents in city of millions, than to deliver to a farm in the middle of nowhere.

This already happens in regulated industries like broadcast/cable, telecom, and utilities. The city folk pay for the cost of serving the rural folk.

4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Which is not enough imo, but I'll take it for now!

pmac11 likes this.
  5. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Taxes? Don't get me started. I live in Maryland - the only state that passed a "rain" tax. The republican governor had it removed a few years ago. Now in the county I live in the new county executive passed a new cell phone tax. Can't figure out how they think they are entitled to that.
    Amazon moved here a few years ago so we've been paying tax on stuff for a while now.
    The only positive thing about it is it might save some of the brick and mortar shops. That extra savings of 5% - 10% (depending where you live) can be a real deal breaker sometimes especially when you can get free shipping as well.

6. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Yeah, it's the pits. Here in WA it's over 8%! I don't get it really. The rule used to be that you dont have to pay tax buying outside the state if the company selling doesn't have a business inside the state. Now you have to pay even from a private party sale. I think it's BS. But attorney generals figured out how much revenue they could get and changed it.
    The whole sales tax thing on used items is BS anyway. The tax was paid when it sold new. It shouldn't be repaid a dozen times over the years.
    You buy a new car at $35000 , Tax = $2905
    The car is sold 4 years later at $22000, Tax = $1826
    Sold again 4 years later at $14000, Tax = $1162
    Sold again at $6000, Tax = $498
    You get the picture...

MotorCentaur likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That's because it is a sales tax, a tax on sales, not a new product tax. Should consumer protection laws not apply to used products? Should courts not be available to you for a seller ripping you off if it is used? Should used cars be barred from govt funded roads? Of course not. The tax is for participating in the market place, that's all.

At least that is the policy and intent, you certainly have the right to disagree.

8. MichaelHargis

MichaelHargis Gretschie

Apr 2, 2017
    Tucson, Az
    Pain..............I just bought a Maple Martin and got a good deal (Reverb) until the Tax hit. Still a very nice Martin but the pain....The Pain......

9. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    I understand what you're saying from a legal standpoint, but I agree with @swivel philisophically. The states who charge sales tax have us by the shorthairs on this issue.

Henry likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    They do indeed. Most countries have moved to a value added tax), which may seem fair. However, VAT in Europe, for example, is I think around 15-20%. And some states in the USA have a low or no sales tax. Would a higher tax on only new goods be more fair? I don't have a particular opinik on that, although I do think it is unfair to tax goods and not services.

The reality is, if the govt spend money, its gonna come out your pocket (or, your kids' pockets) one way or another. Many ways to skin the poor cat, but in the end, the cat gets skinned.

T Bone, pmac11 and Gretschman2 like this.
  11. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    That’s where America is headed unfortunately I fear. I’m with everyone. I don’t mind tax on a new item but not used items that have already been taxed once. And we don’t have representation here in America in the purest sense....most are simply money maggots. I’d be fine with cleaning house and starting over.

pmac11 and Merc like this.
  12. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
  13. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Churches pay sales tax, payroll taxes, and some other taxes as well.
    But, IIRC they are exempt from property tax which the largest churches ( especially the mega-churches!) really benefit from..

T Bone and wabash slim like this.
  14. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Funny. The churches I used to work for didn’t pay sales tax, but did pay property tax...

MentalTossFlycoon and pmac11 like this.
  15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yeah you got us beat, diesel is hovering around $4.25 ga.

16. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Dang. In my part of North Carolina, diesel’s about $2.89 a gallon.

17. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yeah,my buddy in SC told me the same. California is expensive.

MTurner likes this.
  18. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    We add another 5% for diesel.

Lionpotato and pmac11 like this.
  19. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    We have a two goods and services taxes in Canada, one levied by the Federal government and one by the Province. In the past decade they were blended into the 'harmonized sales tax', which in Ontario comes to 13%. There are plenty of exemptions (medicine, children's clothing, etc), and those less well off are rebated a portion in their tax returns. The wealthy hate it of course - they consume the most goods and services, and they can't avoid paying it. Not a perfect system, but no one goes bankrupt when they need an appendectomy.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Henry and ponca like this.
  20. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I remember when diesel was noticeably cheaper than gasoline. It takes far less processing to get diesel fuel, yet it's more expensive. It is in higher demand these days, but, I figure it's just another way to gouge folks.

No matter what drives your car, it's using some form of energy that has to be created. Natural gas and other fossil fuels are limited. Electricity has to be generated from coal or some other product. Solar, nuclear, and hydro generated electricity aren't as common as other usual forms of power generation.

One advantage of potholes is that they keep speeds down.

Lionpotato, pmac11 and audept like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice