Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Now More Than Ever: The History of Chicago (The Band)

Discussion in 'Gretsch-Talk Music' started by ZackyDog, Jan 11, 2017.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA

I saw this on, Comcast: On Demand, the other night and thought it was pretty good. Though 90 minutes wasn't enough time to do the band's history justice. Here is a related article.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

left to right: James Pankow, Lee Loughnane, Walt Parazaider, Robert Lamm, Terry Kath, Danny Seraphine (sitting); shortly before Peter Cetera joined.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    emitex, T simmons and JimB1122 like this.
  2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Friend of Fred

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I like Chicago and it's amazing that the core has stayed together so long. I'll have to check it out. I saw so many commercials for it though that I got sick of it before it even aired!

T simmons likes this.
  3. doctorSlo

doctorSlo Gretschie

Aug 22, 2016
    san luis obispo, CA
    Chicago was one of my favorite bands then they started getting a little too "top 40" Not that that's bad, just not why I liked Chicago.

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Our theater was usually the first or second stop on their annual tours. I remember having to unload and reload a semi three times at the end of the night because they hadn't figured out the pack yet. Made for an extra long night.
    Great band, tho. When they got sued for copyright issues by the CTA of the name, that's when they changed it to just "Chicago" and the band really took off. They continued a tradition of great music from the Windy City!

T simmons and ZackyDog like this.
  5. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    I never forgave them for the way they booted Danny Seraphine out of the band, and when they went synth pop in the 80's.

Chicago played at my college in the fall of 1970. It was a huge deal for the campus, but all I remember was, they looked and sounded like they were going through the motions, phoning it in, like our college was a step down for them. That same night, my beloved and gorgeous girlfriend dumped me after the show, which threw me into a deep depression that lasted for months. It wasn't a very good year.

T simmons likes this.
  6. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I have great respect for Danny Seraphine's drumming, and it's a sad thing to know that he was boot from the band. I loved the CTA signature sound with the addition of the brass, and probably continued thinking that the band could do no wrong until the late 70's. It was then that I began feeling that they were following a "formula" in cranking out their songs, and I got a little bored. Still, I didn't see a lot of concerts in my day - just too far to go at a young age - but Chicago was the first.

T simmons and ZackyDog like this.
  7. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Thanks for sharing. I just rented it. Love their older stuff, especially with Terry Kath. But nothing after a certain era is even listenable.

T simmons likes this.
  8. emitex

emitex Gretschie

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
  9. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    I loved and still listen to the CTA album and the double Chicago album. After that, nothing of theirs hit me enough to want to buy it.

Flynnski and ZackyDog like this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    @wilblee and @LivingMyDream
    Thanks for noting " CTA " . For our younger forum members , " CTA " stands for " Chicago Transit Authority " . It's was there original name until the CTA threatened to sue . It was also the name of there first album

toddfan and ZackyDog like this.
  11. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    At ~25:57, there's a picture of Terry Kath with a Gretsch.

12. JimB1122

JimB1122 Electromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Silver Bay, Minnesota
    Saw them live in 1973 in St. Paul. It was my first, and probably all time favorite, concert. Terry Kath was an incredible guitar player, no doubt!

emitex and ZackyDog like this.
  13. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    This was a little freaky to me: using a Terry Kath lookalike (from the back), and vintage concert footage, to seemingly bring him back to life for the documentary:

[​IMG]

14. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Good old fashioned trick photography

ZackyDog likes this.
  15. T simmons

T simmons Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2013
    California
    Love the music!!

ZackyDog likes this.
  16. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I would have expected a fake to at least have a semi accurate headstock. Maybe this is actually Kath but not from the same concert as the front shot?

thunder58 likes this.
  17. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    The sole song from that band that I remember to emerge on radio in France was "If You Leave Me Know"...

A+!

18. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Good catch on the headstock . Front shot seems to be a Strat , back shot looks like SGish

19. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Audiobook-street-player-my-chicago-story-B00B77KVJA_S280.jpg

I checked this book out of my local library. It's both inspirational and depressing (when Danny was fired from the group).

He, Terry and Walt were already in a band together which was a bit of a dead end. Chicago---a rock band with horns---was essentially Danny's idea; Walt recruited Lee and Jimmy, Danny brought in Bobby and Peter.

20. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Gretschie

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Peter Cetera and those syrupy ballads killed this band for me... Sure it paid for some houses, and they have done well, but old school Chicago is the only Chicago for this guy..

ZackyDog likes this.