Nostalgia GAS - - Epiphone EJ-160e

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by J Bird, Feb 21, 2020.

1. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    My grandfather had a mid-fifties Gibson j-160e that he'd play through a vintage Gibson amp. When my grandfather passed, my uncle got his Gibson. When he passed, his bandmate got it.

I'm probably the only person in the world who is nostalgic for this model not because it was featured in so many Beatles songs, but because it takes me back to the early seventies listening to my grandpa play for the family.

I never really wanted one, simply because it would be so cost prohibitive, even for a reissue.

For some reason, I never even thought about whether Epiphone made an affordable version. Well, sure enough, they do.

Musicians Friend now has the limited edition model on sale for $350. A Guitar Center sort of nearby has one for $500. I think I'll go play the one locally and if I like it enough have one shipped from Musicians Friend.

There has always been much criticism for the Gibson's and likewise, the Epiphone's.

I may pull the trigger. I just hope it isn't a dog. I also hope that I will want to play it and it doesn't just collect dust.

Wish me luck. Thanks

stormsedge, Cassotto and Ricochet like this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Wishing you luck. I love Epiphones. They cater to my skill set...wait, never mind.:D

stormsedge and J Bird like this.
  3. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    I remember desiringly looking at the Epiphone version some time ago. As usual, I looked at it for too long, long enough to let it go unavailable. The John Lennon version (with his signature near the sound hole) was still for sale, but I wasn't interested in it. I don't think they can be found nowadays, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Great memories. You do really have a good reason to want that guitar.

J Bird likes this.
  4. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    Well, I played the one in-stock at the local Guitar Center and it does play nice. The action is fine and the tone was warm, but bright enough.

Plugged into a Princeton it sounds good, plenty bright. Being a flat-top with a p-100 (a variant of a p-90 that are in the Gibsons) it really wanted to give howling feedback if I wasn't careful. Also, it looked like the wound strings were all bronze (non-magnetic), so the wound strings weren't serving the pickups very well. Nickle electric strings would certainly impact the dynamics of the amplified sound.

I really like that it's a solid spruce top and solid mahogany back and sides. This would become my nicest acoustic, except that it's not a cutaway. I consider cutaways on modern acoustics a wonderful feature.

The "vintage sunburst" is not very reminiscent of my grandfather's Gibson. The Epiphone has very red cherry stain fading into black. The old Gibson had a honey/ amber stain fading into cherry. A fairly insignificant difference, but part of my calculation, nonetheless.

I'm being cautious and holding off, for now. I wonder if a cutaway Taylor with onboard electronics might serve me better. Of course, I'd have to save up more money, whereas I can afford the Epiphone (MF sale price) right now.

Thanks for listening.

stormsedge likes this.
  5. stormsedge

stormsedge Gretschie

Feb 28, 2020
    E. Tennessee
    I watched for one "priced right" for a long time...finally last Oct an "open box" popped on MF. I decided to think about it overnight and it was gone. :oops:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice