NOSD

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by pmac11, Mar 7, 2020.

1. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    New old string day.
    Yesterday I came into possession of a set of Martin M150 Acoustic guitar strings. Judging from the other items that were packaged with it, these strings date from the mid 80s to early 90s. Certainly pre-internet, as there's no website or email listed on the packaging.
    Out of curiosity, I put them on my daughter's acoustic this morning. To my amazement, they sound fantastic !
    20200307_114610.jpg 20200307_115515.jpg 20200307_114627.jpg 20200307_115445.jpg

Bertotti and loudnlousy like this.
  2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I have some grab bags lying around, too. Always amazed what forgotten treasures show up. Recently I found a Soldano Hotmod which is some plug and play device for JCM800 amps and the like. Unused.

Outlaw and pmac11 like this.
  3. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    This particular grab bag was given to me by a colleague who found it in the corner of her basement, some of her late husband's gear that she's trying to "find a good home for, or give to Goodwill". The bag also had an Evans E1 pickup in it, and some NOS RCA 6V6 and 6L6 tubes.

Bertotti and loudnlousy like this.
  4. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I have some from that vintage. I used to just change a single string when I broke one, and have a bin full of odd strings from several different packages. Now, I just change the entire set on a more regular interval and don't break them as often. I had a pretty heavy hand playing like Pete Townsend on Pinball Wizard and used to break strings pretty often. Not sure if I can assemble an entire set from all my leftovers, lots of G and B strings are missing from all those set remainders. I remember those days of mailing in a request for a printed catalog before the internet. I hope you can find a use for those tubes, they may still sound pretty good in the right amp.

pmac11 likes this.
  5. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    If they work, the 6V6s and 12AX7s will be fine for my Marshall DSL15H. There are also a couple of 6L6s I need to have tested. If they work I'll sell them.

6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats. Coincidentally, I just realized I've been using NOS Martin strings. I had to search far and wide for medium SPs, and was confused as to why they were so hard to find, and some places charged too much. I found one place with 6 at a good price and bought them all. Then I learned that these were the previous versions / packaging for the strings that kept popping up in my searches

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    pmac11 likes this.
  7. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    There are no more acoustic strings in the loot bag, but there are 5 packs of electric strings, all the same vintage. I'm thinking of framing them :)

8. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Henry likes this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    That’s the Jeff Healey pickup! Rod Evans stopped making pickups so these are somewhat of a rarity. Vintage sounds(maybe not dead on) but very very quiet.

pmac11 likes this.
  10. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Yep, that's the one. Also used by Alex Lifeson and a few other Toronto slingers back in the day. My eyes nearly popped out of my head late friday afternoon when I got home and opened the box she'd left on my desk at work.

Ricochet likes this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    pmac11 likes this.
  12. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Just dumb luck. Not that dumb luck is a bad thing.... ;-)

thunder58 likes this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Glad this is a string thread when I saw the title I was thinking socks.

pmac11 likes this.
  14. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I had one of those in my 50 watt 1988 JCM 800 - I liked it a lot. Let me know if you might want to sell it.

loudnlousy and pmac11 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice