Join Gretsch-Talk Today

NOS Power Tubes...Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Robbie, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I haven't had any issues at all with my 68, but there are lots of cases out there for sure. Since I use pedals very sparingly I don't mind the early break up. I replaced most of the tubes except 6V6's just because. Since I am hesitant enough about Groove Tubes, even rebranded JJ's, I believe I will put my new JJ's in for a while so I have a base line I'm comfortable, or confident, with and then switch to the NOS 6V6's and see if I can hear any big difference at stage volumes.
    For sure will let you know how it progresses.

2. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    We're watching

Aymara likes this.
  3. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    That was because TV repair men had a bad habit of putting the old tube into the new tube's box and putting it in their tube case.
    They would lose track and after a while wouldn't remember which was which...:).
    My cousin was a repair guy and I watched him do it.
    I thought it was funny but later I found out that some tubes would appear to be bad in one circuit and work perfectly fine in another.
    I've actually witnessed that on occasion in guitar amps.
    Some preamp tubes will appear to be defective in Marshall amps and work perfectly fine in my Fender amps.

4. zebulon

zebulon Gretschie

Aug 8, 2017
    oxford
  5. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada

Have changed my thoughts on this and will be taking it to my Tech. next week for the NOS 6V6's. I'll keep you posted as to the results.

Tony65x55 likes this.