Norman Petty Recording Studio

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Merc, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Just watched a great interview with David Bigham over at the Norman Petty Recording Studio. David actually did some vocals on a few Buddy Holly songs including That’ll Be The Day and Peggy Sue. He’s got some great stories and insight of the studio.

Pictures of the studio come near the end at about 24 minutes if you just want to check out the studio.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I believe I've driven right past it on a trip to OKC.

Merc likes this.
  3. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Thanks for this video. I really enjoyed it.

Merc likes this.
  4. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’m making a mental note if I ever head out that way.

5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    If walls could talk! I especially enjoyed the studio tour. I've worked with a lot of that gear and still own a few pieces.

RG7X, Gretschtim1 and Merc like this.
  6. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yeah I still use my green Altec tube preamp. It appears that there were a few mods done on his - a few added controls.

wabash slim and Merc like this.
  7. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    "Norman loved tubes", well, he didn't have a lot of choice in that. From Wikipedia: "The vacuum tube was virtually the only amplifying device, other than specialized power devices such as the magnetic amplifier and amplidyne, for 40 years. Power control circuitry used magnetic amplifiers until the latter half of the twentieth century when power semiconductor devices became more economical, with higher operating speeds."

Merc likes this.
  8. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I still have one as well. They made a few varieties. I have one of the passive 31 band EQs.

Like Sabato said, there weren't any other choices for most uses. Our theater still had racks of McIntosh and Dynaco amps, as well as Altec gear when I started there in '81. New tech director in '86 said that they all were bad and the amps all disappeared over a dead weekend. The head tech and I would calibrate the amps and such every year to make sure that they were up to specs. Our Hammond RT-3 and 4 Leslies got Borged as well. Let's just say Karma caught up to him eventually. We wound up going from all tube gear and huge Altec speaker bins to Meyer speakers (then JBL) and Crown amps.

Merc likes this.
  9. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I've been by there but unfortunately, the man who does the tours happened to be out that day (might've been the older gentleman in the vid). You have to call in advance to get in. Worth the extra hour drive to Clovis if you're traveling through Lubbock.

Merc likes this.
  10. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The CBS Sunday Morning show had a bit on about Woodstock. They showed the gear used---three Shure 4 channel mixers and a 5 channel Altec preamp mixer into a four channel RCA mixer---basically mike 17 channels. Altec speaker cabs with big sectoral horns. He scaled the system to cover an audience of 100K people. I've always been amazed at how far the gear has come in the last 50 year.

Merc and audept like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice