Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Noisy power adapters

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Tele295, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    I've heard that the One Spot power supply adds noise to a pedal. Why does this happen? What should I be looking for in a power supply to ensure quiet operation?

2. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Voodoo labs. And for the small set up you have the ISO-5 is perfect

Mudshark and audept like this.
  3. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I have a 1-spot and 2 Voodoolabs Pedal Power 2+'s and an ISO-5 that @nickurso just mentioned.

The 1-spot works just fine, and works better in homes/clubs with good power/isolation. The issue is that it's not isolated from the other pedals. It makes other pedals not play quite as nice with the others sometimes. They all share the common dasiy-chain and the ma/ draw that the adapter has.

The benefits to the isolated power-supplies mentioned above from a 1-spot include that pedals play nicer witch eachother. Versatility. The different cable options make setting up a board more friendly. Some of the plugs will run 12/18v pedals, some of the power-supplies have a "sag" setting which simulates a half dead 9v and will decay down to 4.5v.

With having 3 isolated power-supplies, my 1-spot sortof sits in a drawer.

Mudshark, nickurso and audept like this.
  4. Sugardaddy1979

Sugardaddy1979 Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Athens, GA
    As another isolated power supply option I'd recommend you check out the onespot cs7 and cs10. Better bang for your buck compared to the voodoo imo. I never thought the isolated power mattered and always used regularly onespot with daisy campaign for a long time. Now that I have isolated power I can say for certain that it does lower the noise floor greatly. Glad I got the cs7.

5. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Friend of Fred

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    These economic units are SMPS ? switch mode pwr supplies..

Some cheaper power supplies are what is called a Switch Mode Power Supply (SMPS). These use a transformerless voltage circuit to supply the desired voltage. No isolation transformer means that these units are lighter weight and more cost efficient for fabrication and shipping. With proper design they can be solid supplies with little noise. However, these cost cutting measures can reduce performance and introduce noise into your signal.

add these cheapies to a standard econo electrical power strip (which generates is own EMF that can be heard when placed directly next to or under a given guitar pedal on its own)
    and you create a wonderful noise cocktail that builds up exponentially w multiple preamps, drives, boosts in a given signal chain.

There are a number of power supplies out there that claim quiet operation but its gonna cost a few pesos to buy a quality supply for pedals that you spent large amounts
    of money on. Guitarists are notorious for doing this.. cheap crap instrument cables and pedal connectors along w budget power supplies used w $1000 amps, $1000 guitars ,etc.
    I find it really funny because I was that guy forever. Then one day I bought a Voodoolabs pwr supply and then I had no more problems, took me many many yrs to stop being a knot head :)

6. JHall55

JHall55 Synchromatic

Dec 18, 2012
    Ontario
    Another vote for Voodoo Labs here. I also recently picked up the Strymon Zuma...9 isolated outputs w/500 ma's each...fantastic.

Lizardkinged likes this.
  7. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    How many mA does something like the One Spot put out? Are more mA's always better?

8. JHall55

JHall55 Synchromatic

Dec 18, 2012
    Ontario
    I think the OneSpot is somewhere around 2000 mA...I don't know for sure if more is always better, but some pedals can overload the 100mA outputs on the Voodoo Labs supplies...though most of the Voodoo Labs have a few 300 or 400 mA spots.

9. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I use a CIOKS DC-10 on my pedal board.
    Very powerful, compact and low profile design.
    No noise nor induction radiation in any way.
    All DC outputs are separated and regulated.
    The transformer is shielded with Mu-metal.
    Of course, this is not cheap : circa 250E.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A+!

10. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Synchromatic

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...WMalntHDVCgtiCrp-vxs7qYwMPaXSKhSwIaAg6_8P8HAQ

MXR Iso Brick. this is what I use, more economical then the Voodoo labs and i have had no complaints. I read a ton of reviews before buying mine. it has hook up for 10 pedals, and two of them are 18 volts. only negative reviews I ever saw was people concerned with the cord from the power supply to the wall. most power supplies use the same cord your amp, and your computer use, a pretty heavy duty cord, this one is much smaller, and some people are concerned it wont hold up over time.

The big 1 spot power supply is the one i actually wanted, but i did not qualify with the 36 month financing offer from sweetwater.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1SpotProCS12

Lockupyourfatdog likes this.
  11. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Friend of Fred

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    The pedals will only draw as much current as they need, regardless of the amount available from the adapter. But the bigger the adapter, the less strain you’re putting on it.

12. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The One-spot supplies 1700mA. Fine for 90% of all occasions. However it does not have any power conditioning functionality like some of the pro power supplies. If you play out and have one flaky pedal or the venue has old power lines you've just set yourself up for a troublesome evening.

13. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I have the I-spot power supply . Before the purchase I investigated a lot of power supplies . What I liked about it ..... before I purchased it , the owners manual / guidlines explain specific pedal companies and which inputs you would use for the specific brand of pedals . ( mA ) I have 3 Strymon pedals and Strymon ( among other brands ) are discussed in the manual . They offer the owners manual and lots of info on line / on the web sight . May be something to look into

14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Very helpful thread, since I am thinking right now of building a little board for a special musical project. Thank you for sharing your ideas.

15. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Voodoo Labs. Isolated power supplies are mandatory for guaranteed low noise. It's just voodoo if it's not Voodoo Labs! ;)

16. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

The church I play in, as well as the parsonage, has iffy wiring when it comes to noise. I had a One-Spot when I got to Clarksville, but never use it now. I got a DC Brick, which was a step up, but finicky pedals added noise. Then I got a Voodoo Lab Plus-2 and the noise went away.

Lizardkinged likes this.
  17. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I have a cioks and a voodoo lab. Both are great and noiseless.

18. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    Just to educate myself a bit better, what about individual power supplies that come with some pedals? For example, the individual Dunlop power supplies that came with my MXR Carbon Copy and Classic Fuzz 108 pedals. Are they designed to be quiet? Seems like they are, to my ears anyway. So if you only use one or two pedals like that at a given time, is it worth investing in a power supply that supports multiple pedals? I mainly play at home these days, so I really don't have a need for a big honking pedal board setup with a built in, or adjoining power supply to go with it. If I was a professional gigging player I could definitely see the need/advantage though.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  19. emicad

emicad Synchromatic

Jul 14, 2015
    Rome, Italy
    OneSpot is 1700mA. I used one for a while with my little board (5-6 pedals) and it wasn't noisy. It depends on your pedals, cables, power, isolation etc. but it generally works with small pedalboards. Isolated outputs are always better though.
    Now I use a Cioks DC-5 with my small pedalboard and a Cioks DC-8 with the big one.

Lizardkinged likes this.
  20. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    The short answer is...

Return policies are nice... Grab a 1-spot to try out. (aren't they only 35 dollars?) they're so cheap it wouldn't be terrible to have around as a backup if it wasn't 100% noiseless or satisfactory for your power consumption.

You also could order from some-place that does short term financing (3 months @ sweetwater with 3pay) And just order both, and return whichever product.