Noise from pickups/hardware

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Knellsky, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Knellsky

Knellsky Newbie

Feb 20, 2019
    Sweden
    Hello

My broadcaster 6609 hums/makes noise from the electronics.
    When I hold, for example, a volume button or some other hardware such as bigsby on the guitar, the hum stops / slows down.

The hum is also toned down when I put my fingers on my Line6 Helix when I have connected the guitar ...

Any ideas to make the buzzing stop?

Thanks in advance

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Sounds like a grounding issue in the guitar. Probably a simple fix, just could be a bear to track down. Good luck.

3. Knellsky

Knellsky Newbie

Feb 20, 2019
    Sweden
    ok
    so how to fix? :)

4. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    There should be a wire under the tailpiece (or Bigsby) that goes to the ground on the output jack that might be missing or making good contact. It ties the strings to instrument ground. It's the most likely culprit, altho the connection could be missing somewhere else on the wiring harness. It could even be a bad solder joint somewhere. If you're not used to doing electrical work, it'd be a good idea to take it to a luthier or someone comfortable with wiring problems. Like I said---it could be a pain tracing the issue down.

5. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I agree with Slim. Sounds like a ground wire.

6. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yep, something isn’t grounded.
    If you’re not too hot to start dissecting your guitar, take it to a tech at a guitar store (avoid guitar center if you can). Somebody with some know-how will know what to fix.

7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I am not sure that it is a ground issue, if your guitar were not grounded, then the noise would not stop when you touch the metal hardware on the ground.

I think it is just the pickups sensing electronic noise/pollution. Shielding the guitar may help.

larryb likes this.
  8. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    @Knellsky ,

1 - play the guitar with only an amp, no effect, just a good jack cord : does the hum continues ?

Yes : the guitar may be the culprit, but try another cable or amp, or change room, who knows ?
    No : the guitar has no responsibilities, it's the rest of your stuff...

2 - if the guitar is the culprit, then try to ground the strings to the jack guitar plug with a external wire, tentatively, just to see : does the hum continues ?

Yes : there's something cut or poorly soldered somewhere in the guitar wiring.
    No : the strings and maybe the whole wiring of the guitar isn't connected to GND at the guitar jack plug.

Hope this helps ! ;)

A+!

new6659 likes this.
  9. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    If the noise stops when touching the strings or metal parts, then it is DEFINITELY not grounded properly. If the noise doesn't stop, than it's just noise---single coils and high gain amps are notorious for this.

new6659 likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Please explain why the noise would go away if the guitar is not grounded.

I believe that by touching the strings, he is grounding (through the guitar) electrical noise /EMI. The human body doesn't ground, so touching the strings shouldn't do anything if the guitar is not grounded.

See here

https://www.fralinpickups.com/2018/11/12/understanding-guitar-grounding/

You Ground Out the Strings:

Grounding your strings is essential for having a quieter guitar. If you’ve ever noticed your guitar’s noise get quieter when you touch the strings, you might have thought your body grounds your guitar’s parts. You’d be wrong if you did. It turns out, a human being makes a pretty good EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) antennae! Your body is an antenna for all sorts of EMI, so when you touch your guitar strings, the guitar is grounding you! Pretty cool, right?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  11. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You're the ground at that point.

12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    See above. I think the body is the source of EMI, not the ground.

One way to experiment is to touch ground items (like a desktop computer) that is not attached to the guitar rig. If the noise stops, the human EMI is being grounded and not picked up through the guitar.

13. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    People don't generate EMF. We have a minute electrical potential---microvolts. Guitars are in millivolts. Touching the strings, your body absorbs the stray EMF. There's EMI everywhere---tons of it.

Take an insulated wire. Clean off an inch on each end. Wrap an end on a guitar string by the bridge. Plug the guitar in---noise. Touch the string to a ground point---the output jack nut, nut under the controls (the knob or shaft could be plastic) and the tailpiece/Bigsby or bridge. Noise should go away.

new6659 likes this.
  14. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Good advice above. But if the tail piece is grounded and you find no other faults, try a good shielding scheme. Tele types seem especially bad for this.
    Here's what I do:

Shielding and for static pickguards:

I have had static issues with Teles a lot. Not sure why that is. Ensure your bridge is grounded.

Shield the pickup cavities and the control cavity with metal tape. Shield the back of the pickguard with it also. Aluminum from the hardware store is fine. Just do the easy shielding, it doesn't need to be 100% , just a wide rectangular strip under the pickup and control is fine. Carry the shield out of the cavity and over the top edge a bit... maybe 1/8". Just so the pickguard tape contacts the cavity tape..

Make sure all the pots are grounded together, take that ground to a small solder tab in or near the bridge pickup cavity. Solder the bridge ground wire to this tab also. This little tab is screwed thru the Aluminum tape into the body for contact. (Fender uses this tab... on their better guitars anyway.) You could just use a wire around a screw.
    many USA Fenders use this tab :
    [​IMG]
    Put the Aluminum tape on the back of the pickguard if there is none. (doesn't need 100%) The goal is to have this tape contact the cavity tape (where it bends over the top of the cavity edge) when the pickguard is screwed down and thus grounding thru the little solder tab.

Here's what I have done additionally for hum :
    use a shielded wire from the input jack to the pot. (this is for hum elimination if you need it) Ground only one end of the shield portion of the wire.

wabash slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice