Nocturne question

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Bionic Muffins, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Bionic Muffins

Bionic Muffins Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I have searched and haven't found the answer but I saw a used nocturne "brain classic" and can't figure out if there is a difference between it and the dyno model. Any help?

2. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    From what I know a brain clasdic is a brain seltzer like the originals. Its very cool. Not sure but I think its a dyno.

3. MacStevenXIII

MacStevenXIII Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2009
    Boston
    Most likely it's referring to a Brain Seltzer.

The Dynobrain is the same preamp as the Brain Seltzer / Classic just made more versatile for both single coil (dynas and p90s,etc) and filtertron type pickups.

The Brain Seltzer was/ is a my tribute to the RE-301 Space Echo. Its really great for a Filtertron'd Gretsch and a Bassman 6G6-B blonde amp,but its got its limits.

After interest developed I wanted it to be something more to wider range of instruments and was dang determined to make it sound good w/ dynasonics and p90s.. so I let inspiration come from tvjones new "T-armond" dynasonic recreation and designed the new version of my preamp around these big rich, twangy pickups that have a high DC Resistance of 11K at the bridge..

This means my new preamp version will let gretsch players with dynasonics and strat players with greasy single coils, and gibsons w p90s all be able to get ahold of the same vibe and tone that the filtertron players are experiencing. So the DYNO BRAIN is now my standard model!

The Dyno does that and covers some new twangy gretsch territory. The response from a wide group of players confirms I'm headed in a better direction, so ya, its on man! I love roots rock music and this new Dyno Brain opens the door to everyone this time(unless you are using those freakin gibson monsters that are way hotter than say vintage PAFs..I can fix that for ya too though).

http://gretschpages.com/forum/other-equipment/nocturne-dyno-brain-new-website/32291/page1/

4. The Marlin

The Marlin Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    London...ish
    Get an Atomic Brain - it's the most versatile in the range, sounds AWESOME with any guitar!

Marlin :)

5. GJK1959

GJK1959 Country Gent

Mar 14, 2011
    Bishops Stortford
    +1 if you get one, you'll never want to switch it off...! :)

6. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    The Abbey mode is just sooooooo handy! If you're opposed to the nuclear option, then at least go Atomic.

mj

7. Bionic Muffins

Feb 22, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    When the manual says brain first in line is that including before tuner or is it ok to put a tuner before it?

8. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Bionic, if your tuner isnt true bypass and its say a Boss type tuner..which uses a line conditioning buffer (pushes a high presence boost in the signal whether the pedal is on or off) then the Preamp, ANY preamp will indeed preamplify that signal and thus boost that signal and make things much brighter. As well any noise artifacts coming into a preamp or booster will thus be amplified more so.

that said, I have a true bypass tuner first in line on my pedal board, then several effects that are true bypass like my tremelo, vibe, and fuzz all in front of the Atomic brain. Then I have my Tim pedal, my Barber overdrive, ubangi stomp (rat) and delay pedals after it.
    Most of the time its just the atomic brain always on and my TIM with the delays. I will solo with the Barber and the Ubangi.
    This keeps dynamics at a maximum and noise artifacts at a minimum for me.

In the manual, it was written for the average rockabilly or roots play that uses a tuner, maybe a trem and a delay pedal. Ideally you would always want a preamp closest to the source its going to preamplify. In the studio a mic is followed by an outboard preamp, then to compressor then to the recording unit.

9. IanRhodes

IanRhodes Synchromatic

Jan 14, 2012
    OC, CA
    tavo, with the fuzz before the brain... doesn't the brain amplify any noise/hiss from the fuzz?

10. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    In my experience: no. I found Brain to Fuzz made it extremely difficult to fine tune the fuzz. It was either off or feeding back wildly. Fuzz to Brain is much better. Now I need to experiment with the Boss tuner location.

11. IanRhodes

IanRhodes Synchromatic

Jan 14, 2012
    OC, CA
    is there any advantage to a Boss tuner vs a headstock tuner?

12. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    headstock tuner is not that accurate. I didn't like the boss, try the snark pedal tuner. better display very accurate and true bypass. It's also cheaper. Boss tuner has a crapy display only a dot to indicate sharp or flat snark has a sharp or flat sign.

13. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    I like to use a pedal tuner as a mute, while swapping guitars or taking a break. As Nick said, they're more accurate. But I did not learn until recently that the pedal tuners can affect your sound, tone, and other pedals. Has to do with buffering, bypass, and other electronic voodoo. There was a recent thread with great info on this, and recommendations for good ones. If I can find it, I'll post a link.

14. Bionic Muffins

Feb 22, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Headstock tuners are less than favorable one example why is if you are trying to tune while the bass player is playing the intro to the next song the vibrations will register his notes on your tuner. Happened to me. Worthless.

15. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Not only that they just look stupid ugly.;)

16. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    that would be the case w any drive or boost device after a fuzz, when i have fuzz on my brain is off and my tim drive is off, and my wah is on! bownchichikawowow!

17. IanRhodes

IanRhodes Synchromatic

Jan 14, 2012
    OC, CA
    the ones i have are extremely discreet. what sucks most about them is they can scratch up the finish on a headstock. i cut the tiniest bit from a t shirt to go in between & that works.

i like them because i don't have to have the guitar plugged in to use them. also the display is right where my fingers are turning so i don't have to keep going back & forth looking in another direction.

but i don't play live yet & so i don't have to deal with the bass player's vibrations. BUT if a pedal is more accurate, and i can use it to mute guitar signal without it screwing up my tone, i'd definitely be interested in getting one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice