Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Nocturne MYStERy BrAin vs 4, SEaFoAm SpaRkle avail!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Sellers, Dealers and Manufacturers' started by TV the Wired Turtle, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota

Read this thread. I'm betting it would work just fine. Brain on Twin

2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    If you are trying to break up a Twin, you have your work cut out for you. I’ve had mine to 8 and it was still clean, and that was with lousy power tubes. You could double the value of the negative feedback resistor and bring down the headroom. You could pull two powertubes and cut the power in half, but the bottom line is that Twins were built for clean headroom. A Brain will push it, just like any other amp, but that might not end up in breakup, because Twins don’t like to break up.

rob batz likes this.
  3. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    @Reedlvr where did you hear that? :) @Synchro is right especially since I r&D my pedals around fender amps. I may have said somewhere that you cant expect to get the same clipped/saturation from a Twin that you do w a blonde 63' bassman, because its true a blonde bassman has a control on it that removes negative feedback from the pwr section so it lowers the headroom and increases the attack dynamics. A Fender twin just stays clean and loud. You are going to be hard pressed to get one to overdrive w a preamp or boost of anykind
    at levels most mortals can handle unless you are Ted Nugent. :)
    That said, I can vouch for my Father's 65' Twin w the Mystery Brain, the echo works perfectly and the preamp brings clear and popping dynamic picking. I ironically,was just at his house yesterday for lunch playing through that amp again, and we were running his strat and his new digitech trio. That amp can seriously thump w that bass and drum groove. It also made me start loving my strat again as he and I both bought American Strats in 1991 after a lifetime of dreaming and talking about owning one someday. The 91' necks are killer if you love maple neck strats, his is all stock while mine is only a fender because of the wood. :)

check this digitech pedal out its really fun.

Reedlvr likes this.
  4. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I once heard Jr. Brown in concert and he played through two cranked Twins. That was over 20 years ago and my ears are still ringing.

Reedlvr likes this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I've given this some thought. I do think you are correct you do need one! hahahaha

6. Diggey

Diggey Gretschie

Jul 27, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I'm trying to figure out the effects loop on the Mystery Brain, can you explain? I like the idea but don't understand how the setup is down.

Am I understanding correctly that I'd run something like a Hosa YPM-523 Stereo to Dual Mono Splitter Cable - question is-

Does the Right-Angle 1/4" TRS Male end go into the Mystery Brain and the out to Dual 3.5mm TRS Female ends ....... Do I need 3.5mm TRS Male ends that go to a right angle 1/4" which then goes to and from a pedal in the loop? Is this the case and do you Have a brand/maker for this?

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  7. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal

Great questions!!
    The effects loop is simply and FX insert.. It allows you to place your signal chain between the Atomic Brain Preamp section of the Mystery Brain and the Tape Echo section of the pedal. I had a lot of guys wishing they could keep the Preamp at the front of their pedal boards w the echo at the end of the pedal board so we placed a stereo jack in the middle of the circuit board
    and you can now do just that. the insert jack is a 1/4" stereo (tip, ring,sleeve) jack.

DONT use adaptor jacks (eeek) w it or you will instantly hear capacitance loading (ie. presence loss).. Rather stick w a quality *Hosa type 1/4" stereo to dual mono 1/4" send and return on the Y cable.
    These can be purchased on reverb or amazon for less than $10.
    <just remember, your guitar rig is only as good as your cables and power supply>

I will be making available also an uber cable if you would like one from Sinasoid Cables. these will be made from Canare GS-4 cable, right angle connects w send 3' and return 2' lengths.

Hosa STP-201RR Right-angle 1/4" TRS to Dual Right-angle 1/4" TS (3.3 ft)
    [​IMG]

8. Flynnski

Flynnski Country Gent

Apr 14, 2009
    Cheltenham UK
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Not April yet but I see on the website they are sold out! Congrats @TV the Wired Turtle! Seems like another winning batch!

gtttrrr and Flynnski like this.
  10. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    So grateful we get to make this batch! The next batch will be avail to order on Cinco De Mayo. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

nickurso and Bertotti like this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I'm just glad I got to order one this time around! Any ideas on the next color scheme? Cinco De Mayo does that point us towards some traditional color for the holiday?

12. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    the frat boy drinking holiday? :)

Bertotti likes this.
  13. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    drill holes wrong mystery brain.jpg Just an update.. a call today from the mid-west that the pedal boxes have been drilled and are being powder coated, baked and screened. tis happening now, these will ship to us this weekend and the process of co-joining the finished circuit boards will ensue. Fingers crossed these will begin shipping end of April in the order the orders were received. I'm excited to say the least after a tough go last week w a staff change up at the box factory and confusion (they sent us 55 boxes drilled wrong, and I almost vomited blood) We proceed as planned

jjadams, nickurso, gtttrrr and 2 others like this.
  14. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Just got my plugs and wire to wire a new board now I just need to wait silently for some new pedals to arrive!;)

nickurso and rob batz like this.
  15. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Gretschie

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    You're off to a good start! :D

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Bertotti likes this.
  16. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Gretschie

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    As a show of solidarity, I won't say anything like,, ~~~~~TAVOHURRYUPWITHOURGASSYMPTOMRELIEF! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Together, I believe we can get through this wait without ever saying anything remotely like that.

Bertotti likes this.
  17. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I’m sure glad you didn’t say that. :)

gtttrrr and Bertotti like this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota