Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Nocturne MYStERy BrAin vs 4, SEaFoAm SpaRkle avail!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Sellers, Dealers and Manufacturers' started by TV the Wired Turtle, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    The black knobs look good. That gives you green, white and black, which allows adequate contrast, but doesn’t look too busy.

2. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I still like Tavo's personal pedal best. Camo green, no decal and the big silver/black Dumble-ish knobs.

3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    All ordered now the wait begins.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Wulfgang likes this.
  4. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    I see a serious capital letter problem here :).

5. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    me too, and red primer relic finish would be awesome.. but folks like clean lines and directions these days. :) :) Isnt it more about what is on the inside
    of the BS-301 Mystery Brain... its s'pose to be an RE-301 space echo w some echoplex thrown in for good measure. :)[​IMG]

Ricochet, gtttrrr and Bertotti like this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Red Primer would be cool as well. I myself, like the steampunk look. Rusty metal some bronze gears and knobs would really be interesting as well. That steam engine is begging a steampunk makeover.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  7. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    got 13 left in this batch, dont miss the Mystery Train!..eerr Mystery Brain! I'm including a freebie, a Big Knob.. the big knob can be swapped in anywhere of course but
    works great on the time control so you dont have to reach down to adjust the slap back time. It wont be on the pedal when it arrives but will be in the box for you to install (ps. yes they were always going to be white on this batch, I was just having some fun with the other colors to get feed back on folks variety in taste)

[​IMG]

8. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I want a big time knob. It’s almost worth the price of admission. Again.

9. cqscqs

cqscqs Gretschie

Dec 8, 2013
    midwest
    Here is an out there question. Has anyone tried a Mystery Brain (or any Brain) on an acoustic with a under saddle transducer pickup, over and above the electric pickups it is (obviously) designed for? The white knobs look great to me by the way.

rob batz likes this.
  10. rob batz

rob batz Gretschie

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    Dammit , that big white knob is awsome! Great idea man!!

11. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Part of my R&D for every product is developing it on stage w my band every week. I use a pickuptheworld.com undersaddle ribbon pickup for my 48' archtop and so I set the Mystery Brains little internal slider switch to the -dB cut/treble "on" and use the pedal in Abby mode set low w the Bass at full. I will also use my D-28 clone dreadnaught w its active LR Baggs pickup but just the normal mode slightly above unity w the pickups preamp goosed up. Having said that, I actually prefer to have my Jr Barnyard on in tandem w the Mysterybrain when using my 6 string banjo as it helps smooth the clang from the pickup :)

cqscqs, Bertotti and rob batz like this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    So have you settled on a good Y cable yet?

13. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Not really unless you want to spend $40-60.. but I found a nice one I'm playing w now that cost $10.

14. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    btw..
    The cable I'm using that was super cheap is a Hosa cable.
    Hosa STP-201RR Right-angle 1/4" TRS to Dual Right-angle 1/4" TS (3.3 ft)
    [​IMG]

gtttrrr and Bertotti like this.
  15. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Tavo, would it be more or less lossy/noisy to use high quality stereo to rca and rca to 1/4"? I already have some good quality cables like this for my stereo.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  16. giffenf

giffenf Gretschie

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Wow, I'm starting to think I need one of these now. Well let's see how much is left of that bonus check after taxes and after subtracting for that Reverend guitar that's on its way to me. Gonna have to wait until Friday to find out, maybe there'll still be one left by then. O'course, a Junior Barnyard pedal would be might nice to have, too. Gonna have to think on this for a spell.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  17. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    you will have treble loss significantly. I experimented exactly as you mentioned and the capacitance loading is quite noticeable w those adapter jacks.. it has to be a cable that is actually built for the application. This Hosa cable doesnt create such a difference. You can also buy a Mogami splitter cable but its double the price of a Hosa cable. I'll be purchasing a few and will take some capacitance readings.

Henry likes this.
  18. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Gretschie

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    Maybe the stars will align one day and I'll have the liquid $$$ when you are doing a run in the original army green, with red knobs. I generally like wild/cool graphics for pedals (and classic looks too), but for some reason I just like the original color scheme on this one. Could consider a neon blue for the second color, but I'd have to see it first. Really impressive all of the research you've invested into building them.
    I have an original RE-201 that I recently reintroduced into my signal path. I don't use the echo that much (Line6 DD4 for that), but the preamp has a wonderful 70's rumble-fuzz ambiance to it. It may not be the 301's op-amp, but it is not without it's own charms...

19. Reedlvr

Reedlvr Gretschie

Dec 8, 2017
    West Texas
    I saw a post that said the Mystery Brain doesn't work with a twin? why is that? sorry I'm a rookie at all of this tech stuff, I was fixin to purchase one, but all I have right now is a twin. I do need a good delay pedal though, any suggestions? thanks all....

20. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I don’t think that’s the case. A Twin has the same front end as a Deluxe, at least impedance-wise.