Nocturne Moonshine and baby Blondeshell ??

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Bertotti, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    So I listened to one of youtube vids of the amp, sounded great but it has listed a different speaker than the Nocturne website has spec'd now. What is the tonal difference between them, if anyone knows?

Would the Babyblonde shell sound good through a 2x12 with Weber Ceramic Silver Bell and Blue Dog loaded in, or does it need Fender voiced speakers? I do have 2 Weber ceramic 1230-55 on hand I could load into a cab but I think those are more greenback then Fender.

@TV the Wired Turtle can you help with these questions?

2. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Here is the vid,

3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I also like this vid by @nickurso not sure which speaker is loaded in it the scumnico or the hemp cone.

I am surprised I haven't found any Babyblondeshell vids yet

nickurso likes this.
  4. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    A big Blondeshell sounds pretty good with Celestion soakers, so I imagine the Baby would work with Silver Bell/Blue Dog

Bertotti likes this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I just read through the description again and he also says a silver bell so I would be good with my cab,

6. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Just a thought, he has a 1x15 with a Weber California 15' speaker in the bigger version. I have a 1x15' cab with a Weber California, extra deep cab. I bet it would sound good through it as well.

7. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    So.. that video is a moonshine amp. a very articulate reproduction of a 1939-40 EH-185 gibson amp. First on the block to do it mind you and correctly, ahemmm!:)
    ..except for O-N-E little problemo, there isnt a field coil speaker in it, yep.
    We cant sell those things to people anymore cuz, death. Death gets in the way of those old amps. :)
    So permanent mag speakers have to be installed and these old class A amps were Bright! The first speaker I started using in the moonshine was the Scumback scumnico s-75. They
    are beautiful vox speakers as are the weber 65w silverbells (weber actually made the early scumnicos for scumback, I have both) but the highs were still too much on these amps so
    I found Tonetubbies Reds to be the near perfect partner to this amp. It darkens it up just about right, and its alnico and compresses nicely at volume. Some guys miss the papery response
    of paper cones so a close second is to use the Tonetubby Purple Haze which is 10watts leaner and has a much thinner hemp cone. If you arent gonna be cranking this amp which is 20watts class A, then the Purple Haze is plenty at 40watts but personally I like the Tonetubby Nashville w a 75watt rating because I like tight LOW END and I play w HOLLOW body guitars mostly. I prefer the Purple Haze tonetubby in my Bettie Blondeshell combos paired w the Tonetubby ceramic hemp cone "humboldt 8".
    In the Blondeshell 115 combo I spec the Weber California 85w H Cap. as its a repro of a vintage JBL D130 minus the alum cap. The H cap loves overdrive and fuzz, the alum one not so much.
    That said I also make the Blondeshell combo as a 112 w the BEST blonde bassman speaker in the world; the Celestion Vintage 30! :)

Alll that said, the mini blondeshell head can go with anything. Thing sounds totally voxy strangely enough w a my tophat 212 cab since its loaded w two scumback silverbell/scumnicos. totally diff w V30s.

Thing to remember w the Mini Blondeshell, its single ended class A 5w with a single 12ax7 preamp tube and single 6V6 power tube. An actual blonde bassman normal channel is a single preamp 12ax7, a phase inverter tube 12ax7 and two 6L6 power tubes in Class AB pushpull w some large iron transformers.
    Here's the mini blondeshell w my SSU, and closeback nocturne 112 cab loaded w a weber 150w silverbell. Amp is turned all the way up and the bass all the way down.

https://scontent-lax3-1.cdninstagra...c_ht=scontent-lax3-1.cdninstagram.com&vtsbc=1

8. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Could be with a Baby Blondeshell my 2x12 would be too bright it has a silver bell and blue dog ceramic but they are both 15watt speakers with light dope, it runs bright. But the 1x15 I have is in a deep cab Weber California ceramic. I want both but if I do the baby Blondeshell it will put back my Moonshine desires a year easily. After shipping it is not quite half the cost of the Moonshine. But it sounds so good as well. Sadly that clip is the only vid I can find of it! Thanks for the reply and answering my questions!

Is the 3-4 week turn around accurate on the website?

9. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I’ve had two different speakers in this amp. I think at the time of this video it was the tonetubby red. I loved that speaker it have some vintage-y magic to it, hard for me to explain. Then I changed it to a different speaker I got from Tavo which is probably more modern sounding and still a great speaker

10. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Any new Baby Blondeshell videos on the way? Will it be at NAMM?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  11. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    The Moonshine is a "real" amp and can be loud as hell but also super usable at low levels, especially in the first channel. The Baby Blonde is quite toneful but at living room levels if you want cleans and semi cleans, and obviously recording. Thats why I wanted it available. Its actually difficult for me to sit with it for a few minutes because my brain (the real noodle) has to quickly shift gears, relax and get into a simple state of mind. Fingers, ears, touch dynamics and TONE, not volume. Its there that I can sit w just the instrument and a dynobrain between the two and appreciate the guitar I spent money on. Normally they are just instruments to carry the band and there's a fight between drums, bass, keys, vocal mixes just to have a decent mix of pedals, guitar and amp punchin back at me. This little tiny amp on the other hand, isnt gonna survive anything on stage unless its a solo bit and its mic'd. :) But thats ok, and the sound of the weber silver bell and a single 6V6 is nice. Even the Raygun'59 is a lot of amp for anything I just described.
    A couch, a tungsten lamp, a guitar, one pedal and amp is all the therapy needed at the end of the day. :)

ps. that cab you have is EXCELLENT for this thing. You can always turn down treble from both amp and guitar. On the moonshine, you dont get to turn anything down but beef and low end from the amp. Its all guitar controlling that. . Charlie Christian totally was riding his ES gibson 's volume and tone.

pmac11, Lionpotato and Merc like this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Thanks! You have given me a bit to think about. Now I will sleep on it. Pretty much decided on the little Baby Blondeshell. Now to wait for a nice check I should get the end of Feb. Fingers crossed.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    With NAMM coming and my luck, if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any, I figured it was better sooner then later so Baby Blondeshell is ordered. I'll pay the cc off in Feb when I get the extra cash.

Sadly I won't try the 1x15 cab since it has a 16 ohm speaker.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  14. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Congratulations

TV the Wired Turtle and Bertotti like this.
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I need another amp like I need another hole in my head. I did read once that putting holes in your head could increase brain power so there is that. Isn't adding amps the same as adding batteries? But like I said I woke up and thought, damn @TV the Wired Turtle will have an amp or two at NAMM and I sure as **** want to be at the top of the orders list not way behind because he got 100's of orders from NAMM! That's the kind of thing that usually happens to me.

wildeman and nickurso like this.
  16. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    My moonshine is the best amp I’ve ever owned and it gives me exactly what I’m looking for in an amp.

17. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I was eyeballing an old Gretsch 6161 but decided I didn't want the headaches with getting an old amp up to speed at this time.

18. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I hope he gets 100's of orders!:)

TV the Wired Turtle and Bertotti like this.
  19. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I had just bought my Supro Tremo Verb just before he announced the BB, otherwise i would probably have one.

Bertotti likes this.
  20. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I do to, I just wanted to make sure I was close to #1.