No Load Tone Pot

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by calebaaron666, May 7, 2019.

1. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    No offense taken...Sometimes folks only think they know what they like, and then they try something else

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

calebaaron666 likes this.
  2. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Hm... I recently bought a pair of 12-position rotaries to replace a tone-pot with.

One position is, of course, load-free - the other ones shall range up to like 22 nF or so (... is it 0.022 µF? Guess so - something in the lower range of usual capacities), as I think a smaller capacity without resistance is, somewhat, more elegant - and maybe even audible.

I never ever used a tone knob with the usual capacities for anything but dark-sounding additional rhythm-stuff, like 2nd or 3rd track on the looper - one with a very low capacity (below 10 nF) isn't that much of a treble-killer, it's a more subtle twang-modulator, just chopping off icepicky sound (which I sometimes want - and in a passive electric guitar, you can have these and remove easily by something like a usual tone wiring). 12 steps should be well more than enough, chosing 11 capacities ... I bought a bag of 300 caps recently, from 1 pF to 100 nF, 30 values, 10 each - I'll find something that serves me well...

Anyway - now it's cut off ... and I don't want to talk you into something, but ... whenever you work on the electronics and have to take them out entirely, it maybe isn't a bad idea to just try out different (smaller) capacitors, or even 1 MOhm pots, all adding at least much less load than a usual 500 kOhm - 22 nF tone pot.

How well a no-load works depends on the least load you can get from it's alternative anyway ... a 250 kOhm, 47 nF is a severe amount of load, a 1000 k Ohm, 5 nF is not - the latter one maybe inaudible if standard/no load are compared, the first one of course will make an audible difference.

In the Tele, I have a push/pull, switching between two capacities (I forgot which ... it's 11 and 4.7 or so, either parallel or serial) and end up using it regularly, while the standard-values left it pretty much useless to me, too.

3. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit

calebaaron666 likes this.
  4. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I have compared no pot vs pot dimed on Strats and there is quite a difference. I'm not sure no pot would work for me in all applications, but on a dark guitar it might be good.

audept and calebaaron666 like this.
  5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    You been talking to my old girlfriends? :eek:

pmac11 likes this.
  6. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Oh more than talking....

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

DennisC likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice