NNSGD

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by giffenf, Feb 21, 2020.

1. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    [​IMG]
    (New Nylon-String Guitar Day) Last year I bought a Martin 000C Nylon for a recording session, and it sounded great and recorded well, but then I didn't have much call for it so it spent a bunch of time in the closet. And when I pulled it out recently, it's 26+" scale didn't make my left hand happy. And then I injured my left hand at work, and while I can still play, I can't play that guitar, and it's too nice to just let it sit unplayed, so it's on consignment at a local guitar emporium. But I wanted to play nylon strings (about the only thing my hand can handle for any length of time these days), yet the big thick necks were a non-starter for me now, despite my classical guitar roots. So I tried one of these, the Godin ACS Nylon SA. The one I tried was a used unit at a local GC, and it had strings so old it didn't intonate above the 1st fret. But I figured I could at least discern whether I'd be able to play it and whether I'd like it, and I could, and I did. So I went on a hunt for a sub-$1000 one in good condition. Luckily, it didn't take long to find this on on Reverb, and I snatched it. It landed last night and after putting new strings on it, it's like it's brand new. Plastic still on all the plastic parts.

The RMC piezo pickups (it's the synth version so there are 6 actual pickups, one for each string) are a little piezo-zingy for my taste, but not a show-stopper. And to be able to play loud nylon string guitar without worrying about feedback is a pretty cool thing. And maybe a Fishman Aura pedal or using the synth pickup and blending the piezo with a modeled guitar sound will make it more palatable, but heck, I've only had it a day, I'll mess with it a while and see what I can come up with.

I've got a big brand new RainSong Nashville guitar I just got but can't play until my hand gets a little better (and it will get better, it's not that serious), so having a surrogate, albeit a vastly different surrogate, is making me quite happy.

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Congrats on the guitar , always wanted to try one . Too bad about the Martin but glad your left hand is working

3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, Nice! Hope the hand heals up quick.

4. Congrats. The idea of making different astounds with each a string sounds interesting.

5. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I've been using the Roland-type guitar synth stuff for quite a while, and while you can do an awful lot with it, for gigging I just use it to facilitate going from song to song quickly to keep the dancers happy. So going from electric, to acoustic, to Eb tuning, in and out of open E for slide, to, well, accordion (faux bagpipes), acoustic in Drop-D, to electric Drop-D in just one song ("Copperhead Road") is as easy as a pedal stomp or a swipe of the iPad. I just made a "12-string B-bender" patch for tonight's gig so I can do the rhythm part and the solo to "Peaceful Easy Feeling." We'll see how that goes.

6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Quick recovery to you, pal.

7. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice