NMD (Newe Martin Day)

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by senojnad, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Played a Clarence White D28 model. Never have gotten over the sound. Hauntingly rich. Love Martin!

D42! Wow! Stunning!

thunder58 likes this.
  2. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    Can definitely confirm the first part:

“According to the C.F. Martin Guitar Company, the first guitar of this type was ordered for Gene Autry by Chicago Musical Instruments on March 23, 1933.”
    - from collections.theautry.org

So far I haven’t been able to confirm the part about being named for .45 six-guns, but I love the idea! :cool:

thunder58 likes this.
  3. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    I checked in Martin Guitar Masterpieces (Dick Boak).... It confirms that the first D-45 was a 12-fret model built for Gene Autry. I found no reference to the genesis of the model name/number. In today's world, it might not make sense to publicize the gun thing.....

Alberta_Slim and thunder58 like this.
  4. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    Depends on who you think your target purchaser demographic is I guess. It was 1933 after all, people didn't go around shooting each other over petty grievances, cowboy movies ruled the day, so to me it's just cool, period. Like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  5. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

What a stunning Martin, congratulations senojnad!

6. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    I wonder if that side trim was routed in like Gretsch did with the westerns or if it sits proud of the sides?

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  7. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    Here's another, I think routed in. Love the faux-tort too, always makes me happy. Can I just take this opportunity to say Stephen Stern is a genius? :D

[​IMG]

Lionpotato likes this.
  8. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Congrats!!!Very beautiful guitar. Love the headstock. As you already know you will never tire of her. Martin guitars....Just can't say enough about them. My DC 16 RGTE is the apple of my eye. Enjoy your new 42. :)

9. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Cut my teeth on bluegrass. My first teacher had a D35. He’d chew snuff and sit and spit off the porch during lessons. Fond memories. Man that guitar sounded good. I had a Gibson Hummingbird that belonged to my uncle. Great guitar! Beautiful! But the D35 blew it away for tone.

Played a bluegrass gospel concert one time and the mandolin player let me use his D45. Awesome! Loud.

Would love to hear that D42. Record something if you get time.

10. NTN66

NTN66 Electromatic

Jul 3, 2019
    IL
    Beautiful guitar!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice