NMD (Newe Martin Day)

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by senojnad, Mar 13, 2019.

1. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    In the world of acoustic guitars, Martin has always been at the top of my various Bucket Lists. Bought my first one (used) over 50 years ago. After 30+ years, which saw a few other swaps, I bought my first NEW Martin (a D-41) in 1997. At the time it felt and sounded like the only acoustic guitar I would ever want or need.

…….That is, until the last decade or so. As my vintage hands got vintage-ier I was finding myself wishing for the same Martin but with an electric guitar-type neck. For 2018 Martin introduced “Reimagined” Standard models that feature “High Performance Taper” necks. The GAS reared its ugly head again….seriously, this time….

I’ve been selling some gear in recent months, taking in more cash than anticipated. With ever increasing GAS and extra $$$, I went to my favorite Toy Store (D-Town Guitars, Doylestown, PA) where there is typically a large inventory of Martins. I entered the shop with my trusty ’97 D-41 and wallet and left with a brand new D-42 and leaner wallet.

DSC_0546E.jpg

To my ears, the Martin “40” series guitars have always had a superior sound than other lines including the various iterations of the D-28. I’ve had opportunities to A/B test both and the D-41/D42 have a much fuller and richer sound. To be sure, all the D-28’s have been WONDERFUL guitars and have been hugely popular. The D-28 is to Martin as the Strat is to Fender. During this latest venture there were 6 different D-28’s available and I tried them all. The D-42 was the clear winner. The D-42 also had a fuller bass than my D-41 but never overpowered the mids or trebles. Apparently the D-42’s newer forward bracing improves articulation and sustain to the entire range of sounds.

The NECK – This was the clincher for me. The neck shares the specs of my Gretsch 6122-1959 – 25.4” scale length, 1-3/4” nut, 2-1/8” at the 12th fret. It feels “the same” as my 6122-59 in my hands even though it came stock with Martin’s “medium” strings. At .013-.056, those strings are getting into guy wire territory in my view.

The workmanship, fit and finish are flawless. In my opinion the guitar is jaw-dropping gorgeous. The D-42 has just enough elegance without over-doing its bling. It has a huge sound - yet tasteful, full, well balanced; a real joy to play.

DSC_0590E.jpg

HdStk3E.jpg

2. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Gretschie

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    That’s looks like a great guitar, enjoy!

3. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Congratulations , she's beautiful . Lots of Martin love around here on the forum and especially from me . Last year a few of us members met at the factory in Nazareth . We had a great day touring the factory and having lunch . Keep your eyes open for the next Gretsch/ Martin get together from me . I like doing it on a Friday , maybe soon when the weather really gets nicer . BTW - are you a member of the Martins Owners Club ? ( MOC ) Pretty cool thing they do . Last year we were all invited to the factory to meet Chris Martin and spend the day there , about 100+ of us Martin Owners . I stayed at the Hampton Inn and we had a great open jam afterwards .
    Heres mine , sitting down with my HD-35 the day I bought it at the music store , My D28-12 ( in front of the door ) and my recent Guitar Center Special mad specifically for Guitar Guitar center , my GC-MMV ( up against the bed )

Attached Files:

Alberta_Slim and Lionpotato like this.
  4. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Congrats, it's a beauty.

5. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It could be said I'm a Martin fan, and it quickly becomes evident to anyone driving behind me.

[​IMG]

Congrats on your new D-42. I've always wanted a D-45, but that's not likely to happen, so I'll continue to be as happy with my '75 D-35 as I was when I bought it new and ordered the original version of these license plates (one of which hangs in the Martin museum in Nazareth) to celebrate.

6. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Yes I finally joined the MOC a while ago. I only took me about 22 years.... NICE collection by you, Thunder58! I keep having GAS for a D28 `12-string but have restrained myself so far......

I'm in the Lehigh Valley, PA, about 15 miles from the Martin factory. I've done the tour and museum several times and always enjoy them.

A Gretsch/Martin gathering sounds like fun! I have 3 Gretsches (6122-59, 6120-55 VS and Broadkast Jr CG). If my back and upper body strength are willing, I've been known to "tote" (NOT hardly) my Standel 25L15 which weighs in at 55 pounds.....

7. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Now THAT is COOL!!!!! I wonder if I can get a PA version of that.......

The D-35 is a wonderful guitar, along with its various D40-ish siblings. The main advantage of the new (2018) for me is the new neck profile. For me the sound of the new D-42 was significantly better than my '97 D-41. But others may not see (or hear) it that way.

giffenf likes this.
  8. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Beautiful Martin right there. Congratulations!!

9. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Is it true that the first D-45 was made for Gene Autry and named for the caliber of his sixguns?

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  10. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Gretsch guy myself.:p

IMG_20190313_194904.jpg

11. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Unfortunately, Oregon plates are limited to six characters. :(

12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Dang! Go big or go home.....beautiful, congrats.

Lionpotato likes this.
  13. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Soooo Pretty!!!! Big congrats!

14. Congrats on the new Martin. It’s beautiful. I bought my first Martin (HD35) after spending the day with Thuder58 (Rich) and a few others ar the aforementioned Gretsch/Martin day. I hope we do it again this year. It was a lot of fun.

thunder58 likes this.
  15. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  16. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    Really nice guitar and it sounds like a well planned and astute model choice.

17. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I bought my 12 right from the factory , she's a beautiful guitar . I'm about 1 hr 45 min ride as I'm in Rockland County NY ( straight up NJ Rte 287 ) Yea , so much craziness in my life I need to take / plan a day off soon .

Lionpotato likes this.
  18. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Absolutley my friend

19. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congratulations, I can only dream of owning a Martin.

audept likes this.
  20. Beardog

Beardog Synchromatic

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Wow, thats a beauty. Congrats

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice