NGSD!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I don't even bother soaking them in water.

For anyone doing proper BBQ, if you haven't tried brining the meat first you're in for a treat when you do.

I have an electric smoker and I'll put my 'cue up against any. Smoke is smoke.

Bertotti likes this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    In the '50s, my Dad built his first smoker out of a 30 gallon oil barrel. Used a cutting torch to split it in two, welded on a hinge and a handle with a chain to keep it from flopping over, made a stand out of angle iron, and used a chunk of expanded lathe as a grille. We had a lot of sassafras for the flavor in the forest behind the house, and lots of oak to burn.

larryb and Bertotti like this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    That was my intention as well, I scrounged up two 55 gallon drums but the sale and to many other projects made me reconsider. I will use one for a burn barrel and the other for a wood burning stove, another backup heater,

4. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    There's a company that makes all of the cast iron bits that you need to use a 55 gallon drum as a wood burning heater. Legs, doors, chimney collar---the name that comes to mind is Sotz, but I may be totally wrong on that. One setup uses two drums, one over the other. I was warmed by one at a Scout camp eons ago, and they seemed to work quite well.

Bertotti likes this.
  5. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

You guys are making me hungry. And worse yet, it's supposed to rain all weekend and no place that is covered/safe where I can grill, so I'm stuck...

6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    USStove ?
    They seem to sell the barrel kits everywhere under different brand names. Price is very doable. Think I saw $70 bucks for the basic kit and $40 for the double barrel extension kit.
    That’s great, now I need one!

Pic from Tractor supply who sells the extension kit for $30.

[​IMG]

Bertotti and larryb like this.
  7. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That's the one! As I remember, it worked really well. The upper barrel was mainly a heat exchanger and apparently made a big difference. I know these were used by the gov't. in isolated areas like radar sites in the Arctic and Greenland. As I remember, the bottom was lined with firebrick. It has to be bit of a PITA to clean the ashes out of it, tho.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice