NGSD!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    New grill smoker day!
    I have always wanted a big green egg but the cost is way to high. I also loved the mid line Weber kettle grills. I currently use a Weber table top grill but with five people in the house it is a bit small. So the Weber was 165$. Seemed high to me and I like table top grills. So I was looking at the Char Broil table top drum grill but my wife says another table top grill! We have a two week old fleet farm in town now and the 30” Char Broil drum grill was on sale for 99$. So I paid for it boxed, not built that costs more and isn’t as much fun. So out to the yard to pick it up only some stock guy got motivated and built all of them., they give me a built one but there is no room so I have to run home, 23 miles one way, drop off one kid unload all my tool boxes fold the seats down and head back. I pick up the table top grill from Wal Mart because I think hey I will bolt it to the side and it was 6$ cheaper there, only to find out it was a knock off so I returned it. Hit F&F picked up the 30” grill they give me a ten dollar gift card for the trouble. Naturally I run inside buy the table top one use the gift card and find out it is designed to be bolted to the side. All said and done now I have both grills bolted together seasoned with bacon fat I saved and ran for several hours. Now it’s cooking some chicken, pork, and grilled onion! Next I’m slow smoking some ribeyes for Father’s Day!
    C39178DB-4EC8-4440-93CC-811D04A13403.jpeg D587EE98-A1BF-4DB1-8120-4E88D95A441D.jpeg
    I left the legs on incase I decide to pull it off for a trip or something and because I’m to lazy to find somewhere to put them. Sadly I still have some piece I have to store somewhere.

T Bone, larryb, CousinWarsh and 9 others like this.
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    The two total were 170$. I like sales.

thunder58 likes this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Boy, I can smell that from here! Now, I'm really sorry I missed breakfast by sleeping in this morning! :(

Bertotti likes this.
  4. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    Okay @Bertotti for bonus points lets see what U R smokin’

Bertotti likes this.
  5. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    Shouldn't there be blowing snow in the background of that pic?

Flouswa, dak55 and Bertotti like this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Oh hell its already gone or put o the fridge but it was just a pork butt and some chicken thighs and legs. Turned out quite tasty but the butt could have been a bit more tender. The reason I always like cooking on table top grills is because it is so easy to keep the temps where I want them. I have a lot of adjusting to do for this bigger set up. With table top grills I can cook for five with less than a 5 lb bag of charcoal now it will be a whole bag I think.

Hahaha not yet give us a three or four more months but I have seen snow as early as the end of September or beginning of October just flurries nothing sticks. I have had a lot around Halloween before. Last year November was a lot colder than December single digits even. Probably be the same this year. I think we will see longer winter here for the foreseeable future. Just the way the world turns. I have seen temps in the 30’s and high high 90s all in the last three weeks.

rockinforJesus and new6659 like this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Maybe a new fathers day thread for this weekend for us weekend grilled to post food pics up. Whomever gets some ready first. I hope to start a long slow Smokin for ribeyes Saturday night or very early Sunday morning.

thunder58 likes this.
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    A question for those with a bit more experience at this then me.

Char Broil seems inexpensive burners. I have thought about adding a couple to the big unit because I have some propane tanks and it might be nice to have it as an option. Anyone done this?

9. tdtom

tdtom Gretschie

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    I was positive that NGSD was going to be New Guitar Strap Day... now I'm just hungry... and it's winter here so very little opportunity to "Smoke me a kipper."

Flouswa, T Bone and Bertotti like this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Keep it goin'.... I'm on my way

Bertotti likes this.
  11. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Nice!! I used to be really into BBQ and had an old barrel smoker too...Congrats

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Bertotti likes this.
  12. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Same. Expected "New guitar strap day". Except fortunately, it is not Winter here.

Grill looks great, should make for some tasty meals!

Bertotti likes this.
  13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Is it possible that I am the only male on earth who seriously dislikes BBQ?

14. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Yes:eek::p

I am assuming you mean "low and slow" cooking with smoke when you say BBQ vs grilling...which then poses the question...Do you like grilled food?

Bertotti likes this.
  15. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    If he is truly BBQing...that Butt will.. (almost).. be ready by the time you arrive:)

Bertotti and thunder58 like this.
  16. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I love good BBQ. But be careful with it on that wood deck!

Bertotti likes this.
  17. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I suppose it is possible but would bet you just haven't had the right BBQ yet. I actually haven't used BBQ sauce in a few months. I prefer spices and rubs and love a good smoke but have never done that myself, a lot to learn.

I do but I didn't do low and slow long enough. The butt hit the proper temps to be cooked but not long enough to be fall off the bone tender. I was hungry so finished it off on the grill so it had smoke flavor and grill flavor. I need to learn how to maintain the needed temps in this big beast. I have no identified some needed mods to get more even heat and will need to do something about the wind, grill position seriously affects the rate of burn in this wind. I get my hands on some tin and build a proper area to place it where I can get it out of the wind and insulate it a bit better. Add a chimney and a smoke tube on the inside a couple of deflections and a spot for a water reservoir.

I didn't do a proper low and slow smoking. I hope to plan better and have a low and slow smoked ribeye for a Sunday late lunch! I got a lot to learn. I have always just grilled on the small table top grills. I can cook very well on those without using a lot of fuel. Now I need to relearn what I did on it because this big box is a whole other beast to cook on. I can say in all honesty that I will probably use only the little box on the side 90% of the time for grilling. The big box will be reserved for smoking and parties only after I do my mods and learn how to get what I want out of it.

Either way the food yesterday will last until Sunday and tastes really good. It was the first time I used big lump charcoal. I have always cooked over wood or briquettes. I liked the lump charcoal it burns hot but it also seemed to burn fast and sue a lot of material but that may have been because of the larger area heated and the wind not the fuel source so much.

My next goal is to build a pizza oven and a pit oven out in the yard. I really want to roast a whole hog and have a big party someday! I have been thinking about putting a wood-fired oven on my trailer and making a portable pizza truck. I need to look into codes and licenses. I don't know if it would be worth the cost.

My most favorite job was making pizza at Pizza Hut, back when they had good food. I don't know what happened but it isn't the best around here anymore.

18. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    IMG_0184.jpg
    How about this? Scrambled eggs with cheese and smoked and grilled pork butt. Sooooo Goooddddd!

rockinforJesus and new6659 like this.
  19. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Hank Hill would approve.

Charcoal plus some wood chips (mesquite, hickory, and sassafras) make for a better way to slow cook meat and give it that smoky flavor. Gas is fast, fine for burgers and dogs. I can cook over a wood campfire, or on either one of the grille types. I just avoid those old school flat grilles or meat, but, they're OK for roasting corn. Don't shuck them, soak the ears in a bucket of water for 1/2 hour, then grille till the leaves are black.

Flouswa, Bertotti and larryb like this.
  20. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC

I posted a BBQ thread back in 2013...I also had a big barrel smoker with a firebox. I ended up sealing off the firebox by bending aluminum pans inside the main barrel against the opening to the box. I then purchased another thermometer and stuck that in a different spot from the factory installed thermometer. I pushed all my hot coals/wood against that alum. pan and cooked/smoked the meats indirectly to the left. After a few tries/fails.....I had that thing down to a science. Here are some old pics of my 12hr Butt and my 5-6 hr ribs....both cooked at a steady 250 degrees;)

bbq1.jpg bbq2.jpg bbq3.jpg bbq4.jpg

Bertotti likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice