NGn'PD - standard stuff.

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Mr Swisher, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Gretschie

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    A good number of years ago, on a soon-regretted whim of generosity, I gifted my only non-Gretsch guitar to my young niece. It was a mid 80s MIM black Strat.

For about a year I’ve had bad GAS for another but my wife has had me on a strict “no new money goes on guitars” policy.

So today I decided to try and liquidate a bunch of old guitar stuff I had the in the back of a cupboard. I took it to a guitar shop near my work and to my surprise got £500 more than I expected as trade in value. The total trade in meant I could actually afford to get a very decent guitar.

So I spent an hour playing every Strat they had in stock. MIM, MIA a few non Fenders too. My plan was to buy the one that felt the nicest, regardless of price, as everything they had (non custom-shop) was in my new price range.

The result was I walked away with the cheapest Strat they had. A 2018 MIM Player. I can give it no greater praise than to say it was the one guitar I played that made me sound like a better guitarist than I thought I was. The satin neck is so buttery I want to eat it. It plays like a dream, and it sounds great. The quality of guitar you can get for such little money these days is incredible. I’m also now a little concerned that my Gretschs have been making me work a little harder to play. Possibly the 11s on them are too much for my puny fingers?

In a fire would I save the Strat before my Gretschs? Hell no. But right now this thing has cured my Strat GAS.

The only thing left to do is needlessly mod it until it sounds rubbish

Oh and I picked up a Russian Big Muff Pi too - for some added Gilmour action!

IMG_20191122_150232.jpg

2. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    +1 on the Green Russian. Best time to spring for extras is when you’ve already splurged on something else. Always grab a couple pairs of really nice socks whenever you get a new suit.

Merc, section2 and Mr Swisher like this.
  3. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Gretschie

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Solid advice.

Zeek and section2 like this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    That is a very nice guitar. I recently had to change my attitude towards MIM Strats, So Congrats.

A Big Muff is a statement, no matter what model. It is a big sound mangele. Somehow you can plug in a Strat or a Les Paul and it will sound the same. I treasure an old big box one and it works magic.

Mr Swisher likes this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I had a similar experience, i went for a Strat, last one i ever want to buy, and ended up with a Mexican Deluxe Roadhouse. Its just perfect to me and was quite affordable too....win,win.

6. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Gretschie

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    I played a roadhouse yesterday aswell. It was a real contender, a great guitar, and I liked the features more than the Player, especially the noiseless pick ups.

Ultimately the particular one I tried just didn't feel as nice in my hands as the one I chose. I do have a set of noiseless EMGs which I'll try in it this week. Although their is nothing at all wrong with the alnico pups in it.

7. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Given that I have an independent fund raising source for my gear (= part-time amp repair), my wife has no regards on this... :cool::D;) And she doesn't care about this too... o_O:oops::(

A+!

Zeek and Mr Swisher like this.
  8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Mine is the first version with Texas Special's;)

Mr Swisher likes this.
  9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Congratulations @Mr Swisher , it's a fine looking combo . Enjoy and treat Mrs. Swisher to dinner :)

Mr Swisher likes this.
  10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, I like it! What do you have planned?

Well, as long as you have fun it's no time wasted. Money sure, but for most of us that ship sailed long ago.

11. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Gretschie

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    As I said, it's ace, and it needs no mods. But... I'm going to anyway.

I'm going to put my EMG DG20 Dave Gilmour active pickups/ loaded pickguard in it - from my previous strat. I've always liked Steve Rothery/Dave Gilmour & that slightly processed mid 80s lead sound. My Gretsch collection covers my other needs so this can be specifically for some searing lead tones.

Locking tuners are a must for me and then maybe a trem/bridge swap.

And then hate it and change it all back

LivingMyDream, Zeek and Ricochet like this.
  12. Zeek

Zeek Gretschie

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    Congads and Enjoy

Mr Swisher likes this.
  13. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    I've never gotten along with 11's on my electrics. All my guitars are strung with 10's and as arthritis advances along with my age, I've started using 9's and mixed 9/10 sets (10's on the bass strings, 9's on the treble strings), especially on my 25.5" scale guitars. I really haven't experienced any more tuning instabilities with 10's vs 11's, but am willing to accept that for easier playability.

Congrats on the MIM Fender find. I've found them to be great guitars, and not just for the easy money!

GreTschocaster and Mr Swisher like this.
  14. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Gretschie

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    I'm going to switch down to 10s on my Gretsch guitars and see if I run into tuning issues. If not then I agree that's the way I need to go.

15. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Pretty nice,congrats!

16. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Congrats on your new Strat, Mr. Swisher! Being another David Gilmour fan, I hope you get every bit of Gilmour that your new Strat has to offer. :)

Mr Swisher likes this.
  17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Very nice, always great to get the best one and save in the process.

18. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    Cool - thanks for a really nice story and guitar picture. So glad you went for the Walt Disney ending rather than demanding your old guitar back from your niece.

I’ve been drinking tonight

Mr Swisher likes this.
  19. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Gretschie

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    IMG_20191128_203627.jpg

I didn't think it was Black enough .

New pickguard, electrics and EMG DG20 pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice