Join Gretsch-Talk Today

NGD!!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by TSims1, Mar 17, 2017.

1. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Not a doggone thing except a crappy rattle trap bridge. Otherwise it's possibly the nicest finished guitar Ive owned. Seriously - flawless.

nickurso and Stefan like this.
  2. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I can see a Compton on it's way...;)

3. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I would be interested too ;)

I myself am long out of this "honeymoon phase" and I can asure you, I would choose the ABM again.

I even thought to get one for my Falcon too, because it was much too bright, when I got it with an aluminium True-Arc, TVJ Classics and D'Addarrio XL in .11 ... and because the bridge base was pinned as on the Panther and the .11's intonation was slightly off.

But I found a much cheaper solution ... I tried Gibson Vintage Reissue in .10 first and it absolutely did the trick. I tried them for the following reason: First I always use .10s on all of my guitars and I didn't want flatwounds, because they tame overdrive. I wanted the Falcon for heavier stuff and the Panther mainly for nice woody cleans. The hex core GVR did the trick ... less harsh treble, a warmer bottom end and all that without loosing bite.

That the GVR in .10 also have perfect intonation with the True-Arc was an added bonus, that I didn't expect. But I'm happy, that I didn't have to order an ABM in gold, which is super expensive.

At first sight this Falcon experience seems to be off-topic, but I fear it will also apply to the Panther with it's pinned bridge base. So a Compton or True-Arc might be a disappointment regarding intonation, depending on string choice. And I myself wouldn't want to unpin the bridge base.

So I'm curious, how Tony will decide.

TSims1 and Ando like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Just got an ABM 2400. Wanna see what all the hype is about. Should have it mid-week and will report back. :)

Aymara likes this.
  6. dilver

dilver Country Gent

Feb 16, 2009
    NJ
    Congrats, Tony. If there's anyone that will put that Panther through its paces, it's you.

TSims1 likes this.
  7. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

While I can't confirm THAT statement, I appreciate it!! :)

8. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    After spending MUCH of the day playing this guitar, I gotta say......I love it even MORE today than yesterday. It feels RIGHT.

nickurso likes this.
  9. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    That's really nice. I just wish I could find a pro line Gretsch with a big enough neck to suit my hands. I played Nick Urso's Panther for about two hours when we were hanging out.

nickurso and TSims1 like this.
  10. Billy C

Billy C Country Gent

Aug 17, 2010
    El Mirage Arizona
    Great guitar for sure Tony. Congrats are in order on this one....................

11. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I guess, you might have loved the white one, that I tried in the shop's showroom. Strangely it had a thicker neck, than the black one I bought. Speaking in Les Paul terms my Black Panther has a 60ies neck and while the white one didn't have 50ies neck, it was somewhere in between.

So there's some variation due to the fact, that they are more or less handmade.

12. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

I'm interested in your opinion, I put one on my Panther and I like it quite a bit, it's a great bridge. I'll just never feel it was worth the money but as always I'm careful to say, IMHO.

Glad you're enjoying your new acquisition, after close to 4 years I still smile every time I take my Panther out of it's case. Perhaps I should forget Duo Jets, Penguins etc. and just get a White Panther.

audept likes this.
  13. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I bought mine for the old price around 50€, but currently it's totally overpriced. I can totally understand, when a one man company asks 100 bucks for a high quality bridge, but not a larger company, that uses CNC.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Robbie likes this.
  14. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    That's why I gig with mine

audept likes this.
  15. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Just curious, you'll still keep the Starfire?

TSims1 likes this.
  16. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Yes. I thought about selling it, but then I played it again. Lol. It's a killer guitar! The pickups are rounder and punchier than Filtertrons too with big bottom end, so tonally different. :)

Stefan likes this.
  17. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Synchromatic

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wish there was a "no f-hole" -- or, since a Panther is a feline, a "cat's eyes" -- option for these.

Regardless, glad you're enjoying.

TSims1 likes this.
  18. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I agree. A cat name should have cats eyes.

TSims1 likes this.
  19. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Falcon eyes would be cool.

TSims1 likes this.
  20. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Cat eyes WOULD have been cool for sure. Gotta say I don't care though.......this guitar has me starry eyed at the moment. It's delicious.

21. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    When I review my memories about critique regarding the Panther, I guess a second generation should have the following changes to make it a top seller:

1. F-hole binding ... that's my only personal critique
    2. ebony fretboard, which I personally wouldn't want
    3. a different pickguard ... there was some critique about the panther image ... maybe just a panther's head?

But I guess even the current gen just needs a bit more marketing like the NAMM 2017 video about it.