Join Gretsch-Talk Today

NGD!!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by TSims1, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yeah looks like the proline better version of my G5422.
    Panther & Hot Rod are my picks also in the proline hollowbody range.
    Congrats - hope this one is a keeper for ya :)

TSims1 likes this.
  2. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Hot Rod was my first Proline. GREAT guitars, just not my perfect fit. I wanna get up the neck easily, and I want a tone knob. I also like a 12" radius. However - those Hot Rods are killer and can do anything.

Lizardkinged likes this.
  3. MaduraMi

MaduraMi Electromatic

Jul 21, 2008
    Almont, MI
    Congrats!! She's a beauty

TSims1 likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Uniblob

Uniblob Gretschie

Jun 21, 2015
    Baltimore
    Oh....dang. That's a beaut. What about the spring?? Did you change out that nasty stock spring?

TSims1 likes this.
  6. Sonny Strimple

Sonny Strimple Synchromatic

May 8, 2011
    Western Maryland
    Beautiful Guitar Tony ! Congrats !

TSims1 likes this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Keeeler!

TSims1 likes this.
  8. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Actually yes! Forgot to mention that I IMMEDIATLEY swapped out for a Reverend Soft Spring!! That is a no brainer for ALL my Bigs guitars..... :)

Stefan likes this.
  9. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Nice guitar and welcome to our Panther club. We toldja, what took you so long?

TSims1 likes this.
  10. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Nice one Tony. Panther is the only guitar I've ever considered in white! My next Gretsch will be this or a Country Club.

TSims1 likes this.
  11. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    That's why I say it's a better built 335. Years ago when I was touring I played 335/245's pretty exclusively but I wish I had a Panther then. I also put the soft spring in mine it completes the feel. I did go with the true arc bridge and haven't had a problem. I think this guitar really makes any filter style pick ups sound better. I've had stock filters, classics and setzers in this guitar and each time they sounded better in the Panther then any other guitar I've had them in

TSims1 likes this.
  12. Whiteomatic

Whiteomatic Gretschie

Nov 24, 2016
    Arizona
    Very sexy. Congrats Sims.

TSims1 likes this.
  13. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I had always wanted a 335 until I got my Panther. Now there's no reason to settle for second best.

Waxhead, nickurso and TSims1 like this.
  14. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    First a Reverend soft spring made a Bigsby work!

IMG_1823.JPG

TSims1 likes this.
  15. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    When I bought mine, I was in that so called custom shop of one of Europe's largest music shops together with only one further customer, who bought a 335. So for me it was a nice comparison and for my taste the Panther was the clear winner, because it's much more versatile in sound. Nevertheless we both had a nice chat and left the shop together happily carrying a guitar case.

What I find pretty strange is, that Gretsch did a mistake here, after Gibson already learned to ban this crap after decades of using this ABR-1 bridge with retainer wire.

But as I said, it's not only the rattle, that disqualifies this bridge. It's also a tone sucker ... after dropping in the ABM 2400 I had a huge wow effect regarding tone and sustain.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    TSims1 likes this.
  16. jagROAR_63

jagROAR_63 Gretschie

Apr 20, 2016
    Germany
    Yeah great axe, looks cool :cool:. Would really love to try one. Congrats :)

TSims1 likes this.
  17. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Congratulations dude! What a killer guitar.

TSims1 likes this.
  18. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    I don't understand why they don't just put on a quality bridge on like the Gotoh Nashville my favorite. If you try the ABM roller that everyone is high on I would like to know your opinion as I got off the roller skates several years ago. I tried them, all of them, the cream of the crap was the Schaller but still unsatisfactory. I have since found that a properly cut nut and quality slotted bridge has no bigsby issues for me, and no need for nut sauce or graphite etc. If you get the ABM, I would like your take on the ABM after the honeymoon "I am so in love with you baby season." :)

Don't know about "second best". What I do know is the Gibson ES335 is a very fine versatile guitar. I own an ES335 love it. I have played a few Panthers and liked them they feel similar to the ES335 but the tone totally different. They are two similar but very different animals. The Panther has that "Great Gretsch Sound" it does not have that "Great Gibson PAF or P90 Sound". The Gibson does not have the "Great Gretsch Sound".
    I may have no other choice but to get one. So, Tony when you sell your Panther contact me it would look good with my Gibson :) It's the right color.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  19. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Well my friend, what took you so long?
    I believe Panthers are one of the finest Gretsch models made...IMHO. I've been trying other Gretsch guitars to add and I end up comparing all of them to my Panther.
    The Gretsch Panther platform is nothing short of amazing...far from being a one trick pony. I hope you enjoy it, and I hope you keep it.
    ...and welcome to the Panthers

audept and TSims1 like this.
  20. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I definitely intend to, and do believe I will. This guitar already fits me like a glove. It just feels right. Tones, feel, playability.....it's all there, and in a very comfortable package. But you already know that. ;)

Robbie likes this.
  21. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Any flaws on your guitar (binding, frets, something else)?

TSims1 likes this.