NGD White Penguin

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Joe M, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Joe M

Joe M Electromatic

Dec 6, 2018
    Michigan
    Just brought home a like-new used White Penguin. Since I'm relatively new to Gretsch guitars, I already have a couple of questions.....

First, what is the finish on this beauty? Appears to be some kind of urethane, not nitro. Am I correct?

Second, I have never had a guitar fit in it's case as tightly as this one. I was told it was the original case and all the paperwork checks out so I'm pretty sure this is the right case. The tips of the headstock are what makes the fit so tight. Is this normal?

I'm sure as I get more accustomed to this guitar I'll have other questions.

Thanks for any help

MKunie likes this.
  2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Congrats on your new Penguin and welcome to Gretsch Talk!

3. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Congrats and welcome! Fwiw, my 53 VS jet has a super tight fit in the case and I got it at a shop brand new. Its got some room side to side but pressing the lid down takes a little more force

4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Joe! We would love to see pics of your Penguin.
    outdoor_logo_scraper-welcome.jpg

5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk Joe, and congrats on your White Penguin! And yes, pics would be great.

6. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Pictures in and out of the case! Please! I have the BJP and it is a bit tight closing the lid but the tips of the headstock are fine. I have to have the bar turned down to the bottom to keep it as low as possible to close the lid.

7. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Congrats, and pics please!!!

My CDG Penguin is the same way w/ the tips of the headstock. I try to avoid taking out of the house so far, but if I were taking it on the road regularly, I think I'd get a Pelican (or some other better fitting) case for it. I'll drive it around town in it but I'm nervous about any hits it might take to the ends of the case.

I believe the finish on mine is some type of poly.

8. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Electromatic

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    A picture is worth a thousand words. Congratulations by the way.

MKunie likes this.
  9. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    My penguin and falcon both fit super tight in their cases

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Joe M

Joe M Electromatic

Dec 6, 2018
    Michigan
    Thanks for the replies, and welcomes, guys. Maybe I wasn't too clear about the tight fit; Sid had it right....it's tight length-wise, not width-wise. No problem closing the lid either, just have to really cram it in because of the tips on the headstock. And, as Sid also said, I sure wouldn't want to hit the case on either end with the guitar in it.

I'll work on pics tonight.

Bertotti likes this.
  11. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Congratulations. I'd love to have a Penguin.

Lionpotato likes this.
  12. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Joe!

Congrats on the new/used geet .

13. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Congratulations, what a stunning instrument!
    It's a poly finish, and mine is tight in the case too. I suspect that some Gretsches start a crack at the neck heel because folks pull them out by the headstock, or at least down that end of the neck. I take mine out down at the dusty end so there isnt so much leverage on the heel.
    I've never had a neck heel Penguin problem, but I have seen Gretsch hollowbodies which were very snug in the case and had a cracks in the neck. Treat 'em nicely, and congratulations again!

14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Electromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    Welcome and congrats on the new guitar! Please post pix!

15. Joe M

Joe M Electromatic

Dec 6, 2018
    Michigan
    Little bit of an update on my guitar.....put a new set of strings on it tonight and they made a world of difference. According to the paperwork and serial number of the guitar, it was made in 2012 and I think the strings may have been original to the guitar. Since I had time to really look over the whole guitar closely, I'm convinced it spent the last 6 years in it's case, it's that clean. I cannot find a mark or blemish anywhere. I know there are many "new" guitars hanging in shops that aren't this clean. Another thing that I realized is that the thing is HEAVY. I mean Les Paul heavy. Sure would hate to feel it if it wasn't chambered. Not necessarily a bad thing since I don't gig much at all anymore and I play sitting down 99% of the time at home. Plus, I've got a couple of Tele's and Strat's that are heavy that don't bother me at all. Oh, the pics will have to wait till tomorrow when I have some natural light to show off this beauty.

Thanks again for indulging me and the kind remarks....

Mudshark and Lionpotato like this.
  16. Mudshark

Mudshark Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2012
    Canada
    Welcome to the Penguin club! I am sure you will enjoy it, my Caddy green version with TV jones Filters out shines even my custom shop Gibson. Yes very heavy which is my only complaint. When I hold mine it feels like I am holding a precious diamond.

17. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    My Double cut Broadway hade comes in at 9lbs 1 1/2 oz. How much heavier is the single cut? It even out weighs a Lotus Studio which is 8lbs 15 1/8 oz, but not by much! It would be great to have a single coil Penguin as well, but that’s just me being greedy.

18. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    Enjoy!...would love to see photos

Bertotti likes this.
  19. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Congretschulations! Most Penguins are urethane, but there was a LTV model which had Lacquer finish and TV Jones pickups. Look in the control cavity for the sticker that reveals the exact model. Pics would be great!

20. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Welcome & congrats on the new guitar! Look forward to seeing those pics...