NGD-Squier Esquier.

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Uncle Daddy, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I know. I simply don't like the idea of using poplar for a guitar. I don't like the tree, so I don't like the timber. :D

2. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    Aha, so you're the guy I see out there shaking his fists at poplars! Sorry for thinking you were just some ordinary nutjob. ;)

blueruins and Ricochet like this.
  3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    ... If it would be available in Lefty - for me ! :D:confused:;)

A+!

4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    The whole picture is a mock up. I get a feeling they're not even made yet!

5. Jimi D

Jimi D Gretschie

Nov 29, 2017
    Ottawa
    Now that's cool... I'd like to know how the 3-way is wired for on that one...

6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I had a Ibanez Roadstar 440 with a Poplar body, man it was a great axe, i let it go in a moment of sheer stupidity.

Ricochet likes this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Hook that **** up! 20190323_215955.jpg

Alberta_Slim and Stefan like this.
  8. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I’m really bonding with my Squier Tele...That ones gonna be sweet!

emitex and Ricochet like this.
  9. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Nice one!

Minimalism isn't beatable. I like having a ton of wiring/switching options, making them, using them - but that's only one side. The sheer simplicity of an Esquire shouldn't be bothered with that stuff ... that's for neck-PAF-Teles - they're nice, too. 90 % of my Tele use is bridge pickup, tone and volume at max.

Therefore, and for I lack a P90-guitar I'm thinking about solving both issues with an esquire-like guitar with a P90 ... but that's not decided yet. Maybe, maybe later, maybe thinline, maybe solid, ...

10. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Minimalism is relative. A Tele or Esquire schools the way and the place you pick the strings (to generate different tones). The Esquire‘s got three different setups and the Eldred wiring makes the unusable position 3 playable and interesting.

11. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Yes, that's an interesting wiring. I'm not decided yet - either that, or just V+T, or just V and that's it. Opposite to the Tele I already have ... four way, three push/pull pots this - will be upgraded to 5 way pretty soon, but that's a minor change, don't wanna have a coil hanging from hot - so I need more than two levels on the switch - the ones with four always are five way ones, and a little idea for having two middle positions needs to be tested in reality - I want a master volume and the third pot will be downgraded to a ajustable resistor, either for neck or bridge pickup, in the positions 2 and 3 (counting from bridge), everything else will remain as is, as it works fine.

You know yet which caps you're gonna use? If you wanna try out, I bought a bag of 300 capacitors recently, 30 values (1 pF to 100 nF), 10 each, which is kind of ridiculous - because it was so cheap (6 € or so), and I won't need all of them in one life ... but they were cheaper than buying just what I need ... no idea where I could use a 1 pF...

12. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    ...since I‘m too picky about quality (and my soldering skills are really limited) I‘ll use a prewired set on my Esquire build :rolleyes:

13. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Well ... yes, this is only fun if soldering is both, something you like and are somewhat good at. Not both, not fun.

Can you chose what they'll put in or is there a certain set of values?

Of course, that's a matter of taste... How do you want the preset, how the tone pot, ... anything from 1 to 100 nF is useful, but it's not likely anyone would love 100.

... but this isn't the right place to discuss this in depth.

14. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    UK delivery mid-August :(

15. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Mid-august...and taking pre-orders in March? You were right, these haven't even been made yet.

16. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    England
    I wouldn’t bother

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice