NGD... sorta

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by englishman, Sep 2, 2019.

1. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    This will sound silly to some, but I've always desired a heritage cherry burst Les Paul.

In a moment of bourbon-influenced madness the other week, I bought one of those body/neck combos from The Stratosphere.

It's a 2019 Gibson Les Paul Classic. Seven and a half pounds in weight. Comes with the truss rod cover and the cavity covers. I realize it costs just as much (if not more) to replace all the parts taken off but it appealed to me as there are several parts of the original I didn't care for. I don't like the Burstbuster pickups for one, I don't like the super complex internal control setup with push pull everything doing this that and the other. I also didn't like the 'bean' tuners these came with. So I've ordered a pair of 61 Gibson humbuckers, a fairly cheap bridge and tailpiece for now and some keystone Grovers. A simple CTS 500K set of pots and orange drop caps will get me going.

I've often wondered what the criteria of a place like The Stratosphere is for selecting models to strip dow. They have a boatload of 2014s on their site and I didn't want one of those.

Well, just for grins I used my fret rocker set to look for high frets and to my dismay I found several. I taped up the fretboard and discovered the top four frets (19-22) were quite a bit higher than the rest of the board. So I'm guessing this came from the factory fretting out pretty badly.

1265235F-9A97-41DA-9330-34E40114CDF1.jpeg A9B1DD43-CE24-4D1C-BBDB-05F6625ED204.jpeg D7A11416-6B3C-4322-81A0-EEF192A7261A.jpeg

I also have to say that this is some rough rosewood. It was dry as a bone of course but even after oiling I'm going to have to try and polish it a little with #0000 steel wool.

E4F9519B-AFEC-47DF-B98F-CC96EB04A059.jpeg

2. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I should say, other than that, the fit and finish is really nice, I love the wood selection and the neck is the slim taper that I prefer.

section2, Armygirl and CaliforniaSlim like this.
  3. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    Man, that's beautiful! Can't wait to see you build it up.

englishman likes this.
  4. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Nice that you're going to get the look you want, along with being able to set it up exactly the way you like it.

Congrats!

5. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Electromatic

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    Yikes! That's a huge rise on the end of the board. Much more and you'd have to pull frets and level the FB. Pores look pretty vertical compared to most rosewood I've seen. The bright side is you've got a beautiful burst there and with the right PUs it should really sing.

6. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
  7. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Sure they are @englishman ! It's my prefered Sunburst color on a Les Paul...

Nice project on the run : congratulations... :cool:

A+!

8. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    Its in good hands despite the original imperfections

section2 likes this.
  9. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cool!

I sometimes wish i'd kept mine,it was cherry burst though.

englishman likes this.
  10. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Good that this one landed in your hands, David. A non-professional guitar tweaker like me would surrender on that.

11. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Beautiful.....

englishman likes this.
  12. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    I've always wondered how the Stratosphere gets this stuff. Do you think these are seconds that are scrapped by the manufacturer?

Lionpotato likes this.
  13. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Those 61 pickups have a great sound, have a pair on my 2018 SG Standard. Really like them a lot!

This guitar looks great, you're gonna have a killer player when you're done.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    englishman likes this.
  14. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I think they have to be returns to the factory, pretty sure this one would have been buzzy. They still make more than retail splitting them up for parts,

new6659 likes this.
  15. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Aren't Gibsons supposed to be Plek'd?

DHart likes this.
  16. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    That's what they say, I've found no evidence of that on the last few modern Gibsons I've had in my hands.

Ricochet likes this.
  17. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Got the pickups. not a mark on them!
    Tuners are new and fit like a glove :)

IMG_1736.jpg IMG_1737.jpg

18. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
  19. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

I love that finish! Can't wait to see if once you have everything finished.

20. claypainter

claypainter Electromatic

Dec 31, 2018
    Katy, TX
    I've had a few of those madness moments myself.
    Your's ended beautifully. Well done.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice