NGD sort of, 5622T, new to Gretsch

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by EESmith, Jun 10, 2019.

1. EESmith

EESmith Electromatic

Jun 6, 2019
    Plymouth, IN
    I say sort of because I've had it since Wednesday. I was going to post pictures earlier, I forgot how many folks like to see guitars no matter how many they have seen in the past since I really haven't been playing much for the past few years. I had to get rid of Gibby LP Trad. Pro a year or so back, no big deal since I was diagnosed later than normal with MS and it did effect my playing; or rather the stupid drugs they had me on did. Anyhow, bing in a forum is rather new to me all over again.

That being said, I had been looking into playing again over the last several months and wanted something with a bit more bite that my parts Tele. I was really digging the 5420 sound and had been watching them on Sweetwater's site for a while. Sweetwater is only an hour away and it kills any shop around here. No reason for that last statement, other than I had been watching their site. I really wanted a 6609, but funds aren't the best right now and so many people have been giving the new Electromatic line so much praise that I decided to look into them. While watching them, I noticed that the 5622's took a $100 price drop and decided to jump on the opportunity, as long as it wasn't Georgia green. What the heck is that; not my bag I guess. Of course I was supposed to wait until my Guild T-50 sold, which I thought was going to, but didn't. Oops.

I really like this guitar, but I wish I would have done a bit more research on the pups. As you all probably know, they have the Hi Lo-tron, so they have a scooped sound to them. Normally this COULD be an issue, however I happen to play through a Helix LT and find an amp that I can add some mid boost to isn't all that hard. I guess since I was also looking into the 5422 with Blacktops, I overlooked the pup difference. Besides that and the fact that the Tune O Matic bridge really is crap (suggestions and I really don't want to replace the posts), I love the way this thing plays.

Sorry for the bad cell phone images, and the fact that it is hard to find good lighting in this house. I would take it outside to get some pics but it has been rainy as of late.

IMG_20190610_103641399.jpg IMG_20190610_103741724.jpg IMG_20190610_103729901.jpg IMG_20190610_103933989.jpg IMG_20190610_103950231.jpg 62260985_10215386897518750_2137506426086490112_o.jpg

Of course these are probably a bit nicer.

KS17093649-angle-xlarge.jpg KS17093649-body-xlarge.jpg

2. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Congratulations , the cell phone photos are great too . Glad you're back to the forum . Play easy friend and get well soon ..... oh one suggestion if I may .... strap locks , not the rubber washers . She's a beauty

3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, that's a nice looking guitar. I think some people had good luck replacing the bridge with a Gotoh. The exact model no escapes me at the moment, sorry.

4. EESmith

EESmith Electromatic

Jun 6, 2019
    Plymouth, IN
    I had two sets of Schaller's on my Gibby that wore out and dropped, I grabbed at the last sec., the guitar in the middle of gigs. I'm leery to say the least. Although I have had Groltsch washers push through strap holes too, the trick is to replace them occasionally. :)

thunder58 and radd like this.
  5. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    Beautiful guitar, glad you are playing again and prayers for your continued healing with your MS (I have a cousin through marriage whose brother has MS I know how difficult it can be so I hope you continue to do well).

EESmith likes this.
  6. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your beautiful guitar!

For the bridge, many people here are fans of Compton or Tru-Arc bridges. They're not cheap, but they'll custom-fit one to your guitar for perfect intonation.

You might find that the string break angle at the bridge is too steep due to the tension-roller at the front of your Bigsby. This can cause stiff action and tuning stability problems. If so, I recommend replacing the tension-roller with a Brick's BiggsFix. Make sure you get the model for imported/licensed Bigsbys, not the USA model. His Super Squishy Spring is also a great addition to any Bigsby. He offers free shipping to forum members.

As for strap locks: I think the stock Gretsch barrel knobs work just fine. If you find them loosening on you, a dab of blue LocTite will do the trick. Be sure to use blue, not red. (The red LocTite will give you a permanent bond, and you'll need a blowtorch to remove it.)

EESmith and hcsterg like this.
  7. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    One more thing: there's a market for those SuperHilotrons. If you're thinking of switching to a different pickup, I suspect that you could sell yours without much trouble. You could post them on the forum and see if they sell before making any decisions. Blacktop Filtertrons are easy to come by if you'd prefer them.

Wjensen likes this.
  8. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Rubber washer fan here. However, I tend to replace the Gretsch straplocks with normal ones then use the washers.

As for a bridge, I put a ABM 2400 roller bridge on my 5622, worked great.

Nice guitar

EESmith likes this.
  9. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    @EESmith : if you intend to sell your set of DC SHT one day, you can PM me... ;)

I personally like their light tone for playing Soul rhythms... :cool:

A+!

10. EESmith

EESmith Electromatic

Jun 6, 2019
    Plymouth, IN
    For the record, I have no plans on getting rid of the pups. I just find myself using different amp models for what I do when I do that thing that I do. :D

LivingMyDream and section2 like this.
  11. EESmith

EESmith Electromatic

Jun 6, 2019
    Plymouth, IN
    So did you replace the posts or did it just slide right on?

12. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Nice GreTsch, EE and it's good to have you here!

13. Beardog

Beardog Country Gent

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
  14. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    This is one of my favorite Electros. Nice color, and it looks gorgeously finished and superb built. Having a pair of ‘65 Hi-Los since 2 months now, I’m getting accustomed the more I use them. They have a nice bluesy note hidden on the classic Gretsch twangy sound. I suggest you to try to rise them as close as possible to the strings, including rise the poles as well. This will compensate some sort of “punch” lack compared to Filters or Dynas.
    Great choice!

15. Wjensen

Wjensen Electromatic

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    A very nice looking guitar! I will also say a prayer for you and hope you enjoy playing your new guitar often.

Wade

16. EESmith

EESmith Electromatic

Jun 6, 2019
    Plymouth, IN
    Thanks for the prayers and concerns guys. I really do appreciate them and by all means prayers are always coveted, but I just added that bit of info to clarify why I sold my Les Paul and wasn't playing as much as before. I admit that I haven't forgot how to play, but also need a bunch of practice. Now that I'm on a drug that is better for me, I will pick it up again. Now back to guitars and stuff.

KelvinS1965 and section2 like this.
  17. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Drop in, perfect fit, no need to change posts.

EESmith likes this.
  18. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I have a G5422.
    Those TuneOmatic bridges are ok - present no issues but you can improve it with a Tru Arc or Compton bar bridge if you want.

I'm not a Hilotron fan so bigger improvement will come with swapping in Filtertrons imo :)

19. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    If I remember it right our member @Trash Kidd used to own that model. Perhaps he can chime in?

Trash Kidd likes this.
  20. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Kinda wish I'd got that colour now instead of the black...looks classy, nice guitar. :)

EESmith likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice