NGD! New grill day

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by 5120mantis, Apr 13, 2019.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    The only thing that is nice about a barbeque is the social-thing about it. I really hate masses of meat splashed with cold sauces. Not for me. Sorry, friends.

2. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I don't care for the sauces too much but I love masses of meat!

Sabato likes this.
  3. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Congrats! Nothing beats a Weber Kettle. For tips on how to get the best out of it—and for the greatest BBQ recipes you've ever had—check out www.amazingribs.com. They take a scientific approach to their cooking techniques and recipes, and the result is perfect BBQ. Highly recommended.

It's still too cold for BBQing up here in Canada, but I'm counting the days until the season begins. I'm getting hungry just thinking about your new grill. Enjoy!

5120mantis likes this.
  4. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    That's an informative site, opinionated - and I don't agree with all of it. I particularly don't agree with the "Texas Crutch" - seems like a shortcut that spoils the end result (by steaming):
    6) Texas Crutch (Should I wrap brisket?). The meat's internal temp will move steadily upward to somewhere around 150 to 170°F, and then it will enter the stall. Once in the stall, the temp will seem to take forever to rise. The stall can last 5 hours and the temp may not rise more than 5°F! When the meat hits the stall and temp stops rising, take it off and wrap it tightly in a double layer of heavy-duty foil. We have learned that the more airspace around the meat, the more juice leaks out of the meat. Crimp it tight and put the wrapped meat back on the smoker or move it to an indoor oven at 225°F. This step, called the Texas Crutch, slightly braises and steams the meat, but most importantly, it prevents the surface evaporation that cools down the meat and causes the stall. If you wrap the meat at 150°F, it will power right through the stall and cut your cooking time significantly.

5. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Yeah, I don't use the Texas Crutch either. In fairness, I seem to recall the site's authors offering the crutch as an option but warning that it had the drawback of softening the bark on the exterior of the meat.

Sabato likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    it's a guy thing ......

7. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    It does but once you get past the stall you can remove the foil and it dries back out.

I only did it once that way and it was good. It's just a hassle and I burned my fingers doing it so I never did it again.

section2 likes this.
  8. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    These days I've taken to cheating: I cook my pulled pork sous vide for 24 hours, and then finish it with a couple of hours on the grill. (I wouldn't admit to it in the South, but it's so much easier than smoking it on the grill, and the results are amazing.)

9. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    lol I just ate a 1/2 rack of baby back ribs that I . . . . baked yesterday.

None of it is cheating.

10. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  11. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    5120mantis likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice