NGD! New grill day

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by 5120mantis, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I've had some pleasant days with my BBQ smoker. A pork butt, a god book, a six pack, and ten hours later good food!

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I learn something every day. As to the coffee can---I'm cheap, and it was free and it works.

blueruins and Sabato like this.
  3. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Burning in nicely 20190413_133031.jpg

blueruins and thunder58 like this.
  4. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Two thumbs up from me for the Big Green Egg.. built on a design that has been in use for centuries in Asia. I do everything with it. Not to take anything away from a Weber grill. I haven't owned one or ever used one so can't compare.

To the OP: real charcoal not briquettes for me. I can smell the glue used to shape them from dust. Also no lighter fluid, I use a hot air BBQ starter gun that gets it going literally in 60 seconds. Easy. And most important - enjoy the new grill !!

5120mantis and Sabato like this.
  5. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    It's like saying boiling and frying are different :) I will put my 'cue up against all comers!

If you smoke meat and haven't tried brining you'll be amazed at what a difference it makes.

Also...

6. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    That's how I grill corn, although I've never bothered with soaking it.

7. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Soaking first lets the steam cook it inside the husk. Best way we've ever found to cook it. It keeps all of the flavor and nutrients in. Works on grilles or campfires.

8. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    If I'm grilling corn without husking it first, soaking helps to keep the husks from catching fire.

I don't use smoking wood chips, maybe in the gas grill. I use wood chunks, and it's been shown that soaking those provides a minute water penetration, so I don't bother. I want it to burn and when I cover the grill, the flames go out and it smokes.

I recommend Brining for poultry and pork, so moist and tender (and not salty).

This is my favorite Grilling book:
    [​IMG]

9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I'm a barbeque'n fool and have been down the purist road, i cook with wood alot. Trust me, you'll be fine with Kingsford and fluid, just not too much fluid and dont put food on till the coals are 100% grey. A little water pan with onion is great if your doin something like a roast or whole bird, just put the coals around the pan.

wabash slim and 5120mantis like this.
  10. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I never bother soaking chips either. I have a small, ancient cast iron pan for using in the grill. I also have a great electric smoker that has served me very well.

Sabato likes this.
  11. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Speaking of electric smokers, my first one burned out so....well, don't put Tannerite in an enclosed space, that's all I'm saying. It's a colossally stupid thing to do.

thunder58 and Sabato like this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I dream of a Big Green egg! I have so much clay in my ground I have even considered trying a DYI clay smoker project. Sadly I have way to many other projects started I can't find time to finish.

13. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
  14. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    "We used to dream of a big green egg, best we could do was a burning oil drum on a rubbish tip"

Bertotti likes this.
  15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal

Bertotti likes this.
  16. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Grill’n......Yummmmm

Congrats on the new grill

Son in law cooking on his new grill we bought him for his birthday. He does all the cooking for the whole family, we all live together. It was a selfish gift on our part....

321901D5-9933-4025-B5EF-E26E9DED2F08.jpeg

17. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I love those big grills, we had a less expensive Aussie Grill four burners and when the wind storms came up it launched it over 300 yards at one point it was easily 35 feet in the air. Bits and pieces everywhere! Now we use a 29$ table top Weber.

18. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats. I like charcoal too but it takes all the convenience out of grilling, so I switched to propane. Enjoy!

19. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Grilling and BBQ are not the same. Great article about American BBQ if you're interested.

https://www.economist.com/christmas-specials/2010/12/16/fire-in-the-hole

"IT IS a noun, not a verb. You do not barbecue meat; you smoke it until it becomes barbecue. And it is not a meal so much as a meditative process, perched somewhere between science and art, dependent on reserves of judgment. The science lies in building a fire that will smoulder steadily without flaring, and in constructing a vessel that will bathe the meat in smoke without subjecting it to too much heat. The art lies in the butchering and seasoning. The judgment comes in knowing precisely when a cooking process that may last as long as 18 or 24 hours should end. Barbecue is the art of turning tough cuts tender (“Need no teef to eat my beef” is a popular boast among smokemasters). None of these facts brook disagreement, but here the unity ends. . . ."

Ricochet likes this.
  20. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Nice. A friend of ours has the rotisserie too for his Weber, looks like fun.

5120mantis and radd like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice