NGD! New grill day

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by 5120mantis, Apr 13, 2019.

1. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Been wanting to return to charcoal for a while, and it's my first weber.
    Also decided to put the synchrosonic on my 5120 and not the duo jet, i have chosen wisely
    20190412_174748.jpg

2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, I hear that. No BBQ without charcoal. It’s where all the flavour is!

section2, audept and 5120mantis like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Congrats ... now I know where we're all going after the Martin Factory Tour ;)

4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I'll bring the kangaroo steaks!

thunder58 likes this.
  5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Like the street market grill in Gianyar.

Ricochet likes this.
  6. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    I'll cook em, but i dont know if i would eat em.

blueruins, drmilktruck and thunder58 like this.
  7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    They keep jumping off the plate!

8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    You won't find a better grill than a Weber, I'm on my second one. Some tips, always build the fire on one side so you have a cooler place to go if needed, always scrape out the grease when you see it building up so it don't catch fire (yuck) and....Kingsford charcoal!! I see that's what you got, don't be tempted by cheap charcoal.

9. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    definetly taking this into account good advice, i'll be setting this up later today and seeking out a nice cut to be the first.

10. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Run a batch of coals through it before you cook to burn it in, maybe a little wood like oak or hickory.......not pine.
    Gotta burn off the oils and paint smell.

wabash slim and 5120mantis like this.
  11. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Step #1: Never use lighter fluid, you'll taste it in the food. Start in a charcoal starter with newspaper.
    Step #2: Throw out the briquettes. What's all natural about those things? I think they're made of the asphalt from torn-up streets...
    I use my Weber kettle extensively and lump charcoal makes a world of difference in flavor, also smoking woods.
    Don't buy the "Cowboy" brand at Home Depot, they gather scrap wood from building sites, you'll find plywood, nails, all sorts of stuff.
    I buy this at Walmart because it's convenient and cheap, but there are better brands like "Nature's Own".
    [​IMG]

larryb likes this.
  12. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    By "charcoal starter" I don't mean chemicals. I mean this:
    [​IMG]

13. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    I've found that starter fluid on a lower charcoal layer burns off and stays away from food, or even taking the starter coal that i sprayed on with tongs out does the trick.

wildeman likes this.
  14. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Mine just has an ash catcher

15. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    That's OK but you just don't need it. I start my coals with one sheet of newspaper and the entire starter-full gets cherry red.
    While we're on the topic, I also never direct-grill, I save that for the quick gas-grill. I build the fire on two sides and put the food in the middle, cover the grill, even functions as a smoker (although for real smoking I have the Big Green Egg, but that's a whole other discussion!).

5120mantis likes this.
  16. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I strongly suggest you go out and buy some proper chunk charcoal and stop buying that Henry Ford crap.

17. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    This times infinity! They're under $15.

You can also make your one using things like 1/2 gallon juice boxes with a little cutting and poking. Just search DIY charcoal starter.

section2 likes this.
  18. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Weber grilles were first fashioned from nautical buoys. Weber had an idea and ran with it. They've not changed all that much over the years. My first one even had an adjustable height charcoal grate, but that grille got stolen off of my porch.

When smoking, soak your wood chips in water first so they don't just burn up. Oak is good as is mesquite---but try sassafras root for a real surprise. Remember, BBQ isn't the same as grilling. For just flaming up some burgers and dogs, propane (and propane accessories) is fast and works fine. Webers and Big Green Eggs are on a whole different level. Have fun with it!

Instead of paying for these, just use a 3 pound coffee can. Open up both ends, use a piece of newspaper on the bottom. You'll need pliers to remove it from the grille, but you'll save $15. I agree with not using charcoal lighter (kerosene). A propane torch will work and not impart any nasty tastes.

I'd rather cook over oak if I had my choice. I grew up with an old style brick grille, and cooked over (and in) many campfires. Hibachis, too, for just the two of us. We often used two grilles---one for meat, one for veggies---especially corn on the cob. Living in corn country, we take pride in our sweet corn. The best way to do corn on a grille is to go to the field, get the ears off the stalks (freshest is best), then soak the ears in their leaves for a half an hour. Toss 'em on the grille and let them steam. roll them every few minutes. When the outer leaves are black, the corn's done. Shuck the leaves, butter and salt, and have at it. You'll thank me. Enjoy the Weber.

Henry, new6659 and 5120mantis like this.
  19. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    You right in saying BBQ and Grilling is different.

larryb, Henry and Sabato like this.
  20. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    The inventor worked for a company called Weber, else we'd all be cooking on our Stephens:
    Weber’s founder, George Stephen, invented the revolutionary kettle grill in 1952. At the time, he worked for Weber Brothers Metal Works in Chicago, Illinois and was inspired by the shape of a buoy.

George knew that a rounded cooking bowl with a lid was the key to success. So he cut the buoy in half, added three legs to the bottom, a handle to the top, and the rest is history.

As per coffee can, why bother? I've had the same inexpensive starter for decades.

wabash slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice