NGD My first Jackson

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jockabilly, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Gretschie

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    Hi all, well I brought up the purchase of this guitar a few days ago and it has now arrived so I proudly introduce the newest member of my collection.. The Jackson Soloist SL2Q MAH in Northern Lights burst. This is my first ever foray into Jackson ownership and I must say I am very happy with it. It plays very well and the pickups are ultra clear despite their (very) high output. Anyway enough talk here are the photos. The colours are actually even more vivid in real life but this was the best I could do in artificial light. Attached (via the supplied strap locks) is a brand new plain three inch wide leather strap which I have bought with a view to painting to complement the guitar as talked about in the other thread.

Hope you enjoy the pics: IMG_20190313_190151.jpg IMG_20190313_190216.jpg IMG_20190313_190246.jpg IMG_20190313_190255.jpg IMG_20190313_190357.jpg IMG_20190313_190420.jpg IMG_20190313_190446.jpg IMG_20190313_190521.jpg

The guitar came in perfect condition, in tune and well set up. I am very impressed.

Alberta_Slim, Henry, Merc and 2 others like this.
  2. BuddieGreen

BuddieGreen Gretschie

Sep 3, 2018
    indiana usa
    love the top on that :)

Jockabilly likes this.
  3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I used to own a high-end Jackson Rhoads for many years. These are very well made shredder-machines. Nearly undestructable and super-solid sounding. Great necks. The look is something you got to like ore not. Me, I think that they fit percetly with good-looking young guys. At one point I really felt too old to play one of these and sold mine some years ago. Glad that you like it.

4. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Gretschie

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    Hah well 'Good looking young guys' really let's me out. I ain't good looking and I ain't young but I just love that colour combination and I never did care much what others thought about whether I looked ridiculous or not, I mean I was about the only person you would find dressed as a Teddy Boy in Scotland in the 21st century! As soon as I saw it for some reason it reminded me of an old brand of bubble gum here in the UK 'Anglo Bubbly' that was very common when I was young. angbub_l-500x500.jpg
    This model is supposed to come in at something just under £1000 in the UK but I got this one in a Sale for a mere £699 plus shipping so I am very happy. The ebony fretboard is really nice and all the appointments are nice quality. Just gotta get me a case for the beastie now as none of my current cases fit it snugly enough to keep it safe.

5. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Congrats and yeah, that's a spectacular looking top!!!! What did they do on the backside?

Jockabilly likes this.
  6. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Gretschie

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    I don't think they did that well really with the back side. The body is a solid piece of mahogany with what they describe as a maple through- neck but, if it does run the length of the guitar it doesn't come through to the back. Over this mahogany body is a caramel coloured transparent lacquer. Let's you see that it is one piece of nice wood but it would have been nicer, for me anyway, if they had finished it in the blue of the front though maybe a little darker.

7. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    Cant relate to the shred aspect but I could chop some early Joe Walsh power chords with that blue beast. Bet you get forever sustain. You go young fella.

8. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Gorgeous! Great guitar! Would love one! I’m sure it plays like a dream.

Jockabilly likes this.
  9. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Gretschie

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    It does play exceptionally well clean and crisp even at a super low action. I think that this is the first guitar I have ever played with a compound radius fretboard (although I couldn't swear to it as I have never been one for specs over looks and feel) and it really does let you run up and down effortlessly and the sustain is pretty darn good.

This guitar, while built for shred I guess, will handle just about anything you care to play on it I reckon, I couldn't even tell you off the top of my head what the scale length is but there seems to be plenty of space for my big meaty hands all the way up to the 24th fret without squashing them up.

I can now say, having finally given the guitar a good look over, that it isn't a single piece mahogany body but rather, maple through neck with this boxed in by mahogany at sides and back and the lot has then had a mahogany veneer placed over it. It is very cleverly done and must have taken some careful matching to give an impression of being one piece.

I am looking forward to spending some hours getting used to this guitar.

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  10. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  11. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Gretschie

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    That is a very nice strap but I think that's more in line for some day when I get myself a nice Gretsch falcon in Daphne Blue :D

I'm currently thinking of painting the strap in the pics in a blue and fuschia burst to match the front of the guitar with a nice three dimensional silver cross shining out of it though I am not going to rush into it.

12. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I dig it and am sure it’s a blast to play. Great price too! I always find playing a guitar with a different vibe and feel can spark creativity. Enjoy the new axe and happy playing.

Jockabilly likes this.
  13. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Awesome looking guitar. Shredders are a lot of fun to play. Fast necks.
    I have a Charvel Jackson super strat.
    If it plays anything like mine you will greatly enjoy playing it. Congrats.

Jockabilly likes this.
  14. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Gretschie

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    You are absolutely right @Merc when I was playing the Jackson today I found myself playing with a totally different 'vibe' than I have been of late despite that the guitar I have been mostly playing recently is somewhat similar in that it is also a mahogany body with humbuckers and Floyd Rose although it has an LP style body and mahogany neck and ain't so purty being in matt black with 'golden' yellow binding.

Merc likes this.
  15. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Welcome to the Jackson Family! I bought a brand new USA King V2 back in 2010 for the price of a used one. The eBay seller set it up as an auction and I was the only bidder so I got it real cheap. Hands down best guitar I own for playability and neck. I think I only love my Falcon more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jockabilly likes this.
  16. MPF805

MPF805 Electromatic

Mar 5, 2018
    Ohio
    It’s a beaut. You’ll never regret having a nice Jackson.

Jockabilly likes this.
  17. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    Oh that’s gorgeous! Congratulations!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jockabilly likes this.
  18. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Pop some FilterTrons in there and you will be good to go:D

Congrats!

Jockabilly likes this.
  19. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Beautiful guitar , enjoy ....... but did it come with a case ? ... lol:)

Jockabilly likes this.
  20. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Gretschie

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    Unfortunately it didn't come with a case which is a bit of a gripe. The box actually had a hole punched in the front of it right over the body when I got it but, fortunately, the impact hadn't marked or damaged the guitar in any way. I watched a YouTube review of this model in the 'Alien burst' finish by a chap in Germany (EytschPi42) who commented that they could at least throw in a gig bag. He makes the same comment about Schecter as well. No-one seems to have the Jackson case in stock here in the UK at the moment and given the length of the headstock and angle I don't know what others will fit it well. None of the cases I own have enough neck support to keep the headstock from coming into contact with the rear of the case

thunder58 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice