NGD - My 2nd Gretsch, G5448T Gold Double Jet

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by cybermgk, Jan 20, 2012.

1. cybermgk

cybermgk Synchromatic

Jan 4, 2012
    Grayslake, Il
    I got a great deal on this, 75% off the best online dealer's selling price. Brand new Gretsch G5448T Gold Double Jet.

I was so impressed with my first Gretsch, the Corvette, that I had to get another. These are, imho, some of the best built guitars out there, even the Electromatics (which is what most of us can afford).

Fit and finish are flawless. Finished in 2-tone, goldtop and walnut stained sides and back. The pictures don't show the beautifull grain of the back. Looks like one perfectly grained piece. The gold metal flake top is just georgeous and deep.

The body is chambered. This is great. It's not much heavier than my Corvette. Weighs in at about 7 lbs. Neck is not super thin, nor really chunky.

I haven't had any time to play it, really. Came really cold from UPS, and it's acclimizing. But in my checkout, the Blacktop Filter'Trons are very nice pups. Initial (we are talking just a few minutes) feelings, is I like the Mega'Trons in the Vette a little, tiny bit better. But, these seem smooth, articulate and expressive as all heck, lots of clarity. I'll give a better report when I have more time with them.

Specs:
    Body
    Body Shape: Jet™
    Body Back: Chambered Basswood
    Body Top: Arched 3-Ply Maple
    Body Depth: 1.875" (47.6 mm)
    Neck
    Number of Frets: 22
    Fret Size: Medium Jumbo
    Position Inlays: Pearloid Hump-Block Inlays
    Fingerboard Radius: 12" Radius (305 mm)
    Fretboard: Rosewood
    Neck Material: Maple
    Nut Width: 1.6875" (43 mm)
    Scale Length: 24.6" (62.5 cm)
    Headstock: Jet™ Style
    Truss Rods: Standard Truss Rod
    Electronics
    Bridge Pickup: "Blacktop" Filter'Tron™ Bridge Pickup
    Neck Pickup: "Blacktop" Filter'Tron™ Neck Pickup
    Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
    Controls: Volume 1. (Neck Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Master Volume, Master Tone
    Hardware
    Hardware Finish: Chrome
    Bridge: Anchored Adjusto-Matic™ Bridge
    Tuning Machines: Enclosed Die-Cast Tuning Machines
    String Nut: Synthetic Bone
    Switch Tips: Chrome

DSC00944.jpg

DSC00945.jpg

DSC00946.jpg

DSC00951.jpg

DSC00952.jpg

LivingMyDream and rob batz like this.
  2. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Beautiful!!! Happy NGD!!!

3. dazzajl

dazzajl Country Gent

Apr 18, 2010
    wiltshire
    Very nice, congratulations. I do love a double cut jet. :cool:

4. johnnyguitar

johnnyguitar Country Gent

Jul 10, 2009
    Canada
    Congrats ;)
    Very cool.
    I'd like to check one of these out.
    I notice they have gone from mahogany body & neck to a basswood body & maple neck....,

5. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    HNGD! Enjoy it! :D

6. dgshooter

dgshooter Country Gent

Oct 18, 2011
    Central MO
    Looks sweet. Enjoy her!

7. 68GuitarPlayer

68GuitarPlayer Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Clinton, Tn
  8. Astrolux

Astrolux Gretschie

Dec 7, 2011
    mexico
    Happy new guitar day!!

9. Good job. We need more people that can make decisions!

10. black rose

black rose Gretschie

Oct 20, 2011
    Chicago
    She's a beaut! Congrats. Love double cuts!

11. cybermgk

cybermgk Synchromatic

Jan 4, 2012
    Grayslake, Il
    Okay, had some time tonight with her.

First, the less than perfect things. First, she is a LITTLE neck heavy. Perhaps, I should say, she's too balanced front to back from the chambering. With the slippery strap I was using, kept slipping from a comfy position for me, to neck horizontal. I like to play more at a classical angle. It's not a problem sitting. And, a different strap with a little more friction would stop this (strap had very slick nylon back). The next is, I think it could use a tiny bit more shim under the neck pup. I didn't think it adjusted QUITE high enough. But, with the poles adjusted just a little, got it to it's sweet spot.
    Last, the neck is a bit fat at the ultra high frets. Small hands might have an issue with that. Like what they did on the Vette better there (A good 1/4 thinner on the vette)

The Blacktop Filter'Trons are very nice pups. Clear, articulate and expressive. Definately have that Gretsch tone. That is, once I got them adjusted in. They are not as hot, or ballsy as the Mega'Trons in my G5135PS Vette. But, thats a good thing. They sound similar, but different. Again, that's a good thing. Good variation between the neck and bridge pups. Great twang on the bridge. Neck is smoother, a little creamier, with just enough hint of Gretsch twang. Middle position, was my favorite, most of the time. IMHO, I like the Mega'Trons a little better. But, whereas the Mega'Trons are probably the best pups I have on any guitar, the BT Filters are tied as my 2nd best with the SD 59'/JB pair I have in a Schecter.

The seperate neck and bridge volume is nice. Can really vary the tone a lot with just that and the middle selector position.

Fret ends are all perfectly finished and smooth. Ran my fret rocker up and down, and not one high fret on the neck anywhere. Just like the Vette, was able to get an insanely low action.

Overall, if I gave my Stump-o-Matic Vette a 9.5 out of 10, this would be a 9. Not a darn thing I feel compelled to do to her except beef up the shim under the neck pup at some point.

12. NickGretsch

NickGretsch Synchromatic

Aug 30, 2011
    Cornwall, England
    Thanks for your review Cyber, very interesting as your comments confirmed my initial thoughts on trying out that model.

A wide suade strap seeme to be a must

The neck pickup my main issue, unadjusted it sounded unfocused. Why can't they do this correctly at the factory. Beats me!

A great little guitar though...however I'm still sitting on the fence

13. cybermgk

cybermgk Synchromatic

Jan 4, 2012
    Grayslake, Il
    Yep, that about somes it up. Once the neck pup was dialed in, it was sweet. But unfocused and even a little muddy until it was.

14. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    You raised your neck pickup to clear up the mud? I lowered the bass side and raised the pole pieces. What I'd really like is a bass roll off for the neck pickup. Actually what I'd REALLY like is to get my 5435T back from the shop. Greta's getting some nut work.

15. cybermgk

cybermgk Synchromatic

Jan 4, 2012
    Grayslake, Il
    It came, set way to low. So a combo of raising the pup, and adjusting the pole pieces hit the sweet spot.

16. haynosity

haynosity Electromatic

Jan 22, 2012
    United States
    This is the same Gretsch I'm getting, where did you find it for 75% off?!?

17. cybermgk

cybermgk Synchromatic

Jan 4, 2012
    Grayslake, Il
    75% OFF best online list price, not 75% of. For that I use my own search bots.

18. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    That would mean you got it for less than $200? WOW.

Please enlighten us about your "private search bots"!....for that price, even I could afford one!

19. cybermgk

cybermgk Synchromatic

Jan 4, 2012
    Grayslake, Il
    That was a bad day of posting. What I meant was got it for 75% of the best Internet posted price. AKA $500 bucks, new plus shipping.

I've created search bots that I kick off looking for things on the net, guitar related. THey check local craigslists and Ebay, then all of craigs, multiple guitar forums, then a general internet crawl. Give it keywords for what I'm looking for.

In this particular case, it was a Music store with an Ebay store. Look for those with OBO listings. Most Gretsch Dealers have a lot of flexability in their profit margin. Let's just say, the current $700-800 that the Musicians Friends, zZounds, GC etc list them at, is quite a bit of profit. They won't budge, because they don't have to. If you don't buy it at their price, someone else will, relatively soon.

Smaller 'mom and pop' shops, even if they sell online and/or EBay, have paid their price up front, and now the guitar is just sitting in their shop, tieing up money. THe longer it sits, the more motivated thjey are to sell it for some profit.

I knew what my local dealer/shop could go to as their absolute bottom amount. They make a LOT of income from a LOT of lessons (every day, booked solid 2-9, 3 min sessions with 10-12 instructors) AND a lot of luthiery and amp work. So, they will deal, but not as much as some might.

Bot returned an Ebay listing for a small 'mom and pop' Gretsch auth Dealer with a few ads on EBay. They had a buy it now OBO. Kind I look for. Checked out their seller history, BBB in their area, yellow page ads, then made an offer of where I thought they might deal to, based off of my talking and dealing with my local shop, and other past deals. Accepted, rest is history. Would have ordered it from my shop, but there was some wait, and I didn't want to at the time (Had the Gretsch Fever) .

So moral is, if looking for new, check those Mom and Pop shops selling on EBAY, look for reputable sellers that list Buy it Now and take offers, then make an offer. THe fact that they are taking offers TELLS you they are open to less than their Buy it Now price. Don't insult them with too low. Most times, they will counter, if they feel yours is a little low. Now your haggling.

If you have a local shop, check and see what they really can do (got my G5135PS for $540 brand new, with 2 free pro setups ()strings included, and fret polishes).

20. adamel111

adamel111 Newbie

Oct 10, 2018
    Eagan, MN
    I have one on the way (used from Reverb). Already has TV Jones Powertrons installed (powertron in neck and powertron plus in bridge). This post helped put me over the edge to buy it. I'm a sucker for gold guitars and have been wanting a Gretsch/filtertron guitar. Almost pulled the trigger on a Reverend Club King RT instead...