NGD, little road trip to pick it up.

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by T Bone, Sep 18, 2019.

1. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Okay, picked up a new one today. Decided awhile back that since my next guitar was a milestone (number 40 :eek:), I should make it something special. Tempted to solicit guesses, but I don't think I will. Besides, I think I already let on to @thunder58 what was coming. :D It is a new (old stock) Martin 000-28 EC, Eric Clapton Signature Series.

Only wanted one of these since they came out back in 1996. So, a quick 23 years later, I finally had to make it happen. I first saw this one a few months ago when I took my 31 year old Martin to Elderly Instruments in Lansing MI (a bit over 80 miles from home) for warranty repairs. I actually made the deal and did a layaway the day I picked that one up.

This one was hanging in the showroom. That day I had them bring out another one they had in the warehouse, and spent a good hour A/B-ing the two. Also compared several other models, the re imagined 000-28 (about the same minus the V neck, and less money), and the OM-28 (same body, longer scale neck and different shape pick guard), and an HD-28. It had to be the EC.

Comparing the two, surprisingly, quite a difference, though they had different strings, the sound difference was substantial. So was the neck, this one was a much more pronounced V neck than the other. I had compared one more the day I took my old one in, it sounded the same as this.

Anyway, need to play it a bit, so I'll load a few pics and go. Might get around to putting a strap button on the heel yet tonight. Probably put a pickup of some type in soon. 20190918_174256.jpg 20190918_175203.jpg
    20190918_201612.jpg

shupe13, Bertotti, JC higgy and 15 others like this.
  2. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    That’s a sweet looking Martin!

T Bone likes this.
  3. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Very nice...Big congrats T!

T Bone likes this.
  4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Very nice! I love that you're rewarding yourself for buying guitars by buying a more expensive guitar. I have a similar drink policy. Now buy 9 guitars really quickly so you can get an even more special one for #50. ;)

Groutsch, T Bone and blueruins like this.
  5. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Congrats! I’ve heard nothing but praise for these EC Martins.

T Bone likes this.
  6. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Thanks guys! It's a great guitar, very cool. Very lucky to have it.
    Lol! Well, I did wait 23 years... :D
    Guess that might mean more if I hadn't bought all those others before it (sold most of the collection in 98, kept two guitars, my old Martin and the '35 National). So the other 37 appeared ahead of this one.

Henry likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    @T Bone , congratulations . This is a fine instrument . What gets me is that I can't believe my first trip to Martin Guitar in Nazareth , Pa was about 23 years ago . I can remember the tour guide saying they were working on the new Eric Clapton Model . Boy has time flown by . Enjoy every note on this one . As for the rest of the membership here ..... It's a Martin , and it does come with a case ;)

JeffreyLeePierre and T Bone like this.
  8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Beautiful, congrats!

T Bone likes this.
  10. Great guitar. Congratulations!

T Bone likes this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats man. I can only dream about owning such a fine instrument.

T Bone likes this.
  12. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Very nice!! Congrats on #40

T Bone likes this.
  13. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    That's it Henry! You figured it out.

Great guitar TBone, congrats on number 40!

Henry and T Bone like this.
  14. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    Well that is absolutely beautiful, congratulations. I just got my first Martin (and first real acoustic) about a month or so ago, and I have not really played anything else since. They just sound so perfect and play so well that they're just too much fun to play.

Love that store front as well. Reminds me of being a little kid in a small town in the north land. It just LOOKS like a place I'd want to spend a day playing guitars.

T Bone likes this.
  15. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Electromatic

Jul 10, 2019
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Sweet. Elderly is a great place. I went to college in Lansing and was only a few blocks away from them. (Well... the first time through college they were in East Lansing.) Since then I have made several pilgrimages there. Once the entire band piled in a van and drove the 300 or so miles.

T Bone likes this.
  16. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Congrats T Bone! There's nothing quite like finding a truly special guitar.

T Bone likes this.
  17. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Wait... but they have no jack plate! :p

Congrats T Bone, enjoy playing it.

T Bone and thunder58 like this.
  18. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats T!

The last time i played one was back in 1997 at the Dundalk Guitar Show,really nice guitar,lovely for pickin'!

T Bone likes this.
  19. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Wow. A a really precious guitar. Wonderful to look at. (And of course it will sound wonderful as well. I do believe.)

T Bone likes this.
  20. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Thanks again guys. Really loving this one!
    Been shopping Elderly since they opened in 1972. They were a tiny garden level shop in East Lansing. Saw them do I think 2 expansions there before the move to the current location.

And grinin'. :D
    That's a Hee Haw reference, not sure if you will get that, but I'm definitely doing both!

And it does!

JC higgy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice