NGD Gibson ES-235

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by DonArcher, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Beardog

Beardog Gretschie

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Congrats, enjoy it

DonArcher likes this.
  2. reverb11

reverb11 Gretschie

Jun 11, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Gibson has been doing these "satin-tyoe" finishes for a while now (since 2011, I think) as a cost-reducing tactic. I have owned a couple of Tribute Les Pauls--a gold top and a honey burst (the gold top I still have) which feature these finishes. The honeyburst one I owned for a few years, and the finish start to "buff out" where my arm made contact with the body on the lower bout. You can see the "orange peel" the original poster is talking about on the cutaway in the picture below, and you can sort of see the "buffed" area, too.

The gold top has a hideous "dark back," which is just black laquer (not polished or buffed). It's pretty cheesy looking, but it did allow me to buy a Les Paul with P90's for less than $900 Canadian.
    LP601.jpg

3. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats Don!

DonArcher likes this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Orangepeel: I had a white LP 60ies Tribute that had orangepeel all over. They tried to sell it as some kind of vintage/aged finish. But it looked like it was applicated with a toothbrush.:eek:

reverb11 and DonArcher like this.
  5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Gross. That sounds like the wall paint finish which reminds me of what hives (the allergic reaction).

[​IMG]

loudnlousy likes this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Orange peel is very common in the first stage (color) of painting, then you sand it smooth and either clear coat it or buff it. Like i said its a unfinished job that Gibson has found a way to market. They wouldn't have dreamed of shipping a guitar with this finish in the past.